Cultivated Reef

New Waterbox 20 Cube Build (noisy pump issue)

Ekar

Hi, thought I would introduce my new reef build to the forum, as I'm a beginner and will most likely be seeking advice and information from the community periodically. 

For now, it's not much to look at - just a box filled with sand/rock/water. In time I hope to stock with soft and LPS corals, upto 4 fish, and cleanup crew. The tank is currently cycling. 

My biggest issue at the moment is that I'm experiencing quite a loud buzz noise with the current pump (a Sicce Syncra Silent Water Pump 1.0). I feel this isn't acceptable (pretty disappointed really) and am pretty desperate to solve this issue, since I'm sure it's wearing on my wife.  I've wrapped this in filter sponge material, but the noise persists. Taking the pump outside of the back chamber (and putting in a larger volume of water for eg), the pump sounds quiet. So this doesn't seem like an issue with the pump itself. I took it to the fish store I bought it from and they said the pump is working normally. Testing some more, I took the tubing off when the pump was in the back chamber, and the noise went away. So maybe it's that?  Checking online, others have suggested using silicon tubing. I'll try today to get some (is the default tubing which comes with the Waterbox 20 rubber or silicon?) 

If anyone else has any experience with pump noise in the Waterbox 20, and a solution or a pump recommendation, I'd love to hear it! 

Thanks! 

Ekar

newtank.jpg

• Like 1

I have the exact same pump in the exact same setup, what I have done is while it is on grab it by the cord and jiggle it a bit, maybe 3-4 seconds.  Then turn it off and on again.  Sometimes I have to do that a few times, but eventually it "resets" and goes super quiet.  You will know the second you turn it on that it's been fixed just by how much quieter it is. (I also used silicon tubing from BRS and a silicon kitchen mat cut to size for it to sit on, it helps)

Couldn't find any silicon tubing at local hardware stores. Tried some new vinyl tubing, but the noise is still there. Tried turning on/off a few times and got slightly different noises each time, but the rattle/hum persists. 😞 

There's this tubing online which I'm thinking of buying - does this sound like the BRS silicon tubing?

Amazon.com: Quickun Pure Silicone Tubing, 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD High Temp Food Grade Tube Pure Silicone Hose Tube for Home Brewing, Beer Line, Kegerator, Wine Making, Aquaponics, Air Hose by Proper Pour (3.28 Ft): Home Improvement

Also, has anyone had any experience with this pump in a waterbox 20?

Amazon.com : Hydor 185 Universal Pump, 185 GPH - Original Seltz L20 : Aquarium Water Pumps : Pet Supplies

Thanks

Generally AC pumps do tend to be a bit noisy compared to a DC pump as a trade off for longevity.

I doubt the actual hose it self will be causing the issue more the pump and vibration traveling up the hose. 

It usually works well to sit the pump on a filter pad. Maybe try wedging some material between the glass and the return hose and see if that runs more silently. 

Thanks ZekesReef-  I've covered everything I possibly can, including cutting a hole vertically through some filter sponge and sticking the tubing through it.

My only hope now is the tubing/return hose itself, or a new pump. 

I've also ordered an 'oxo' silicon mat for the pump to sit on.

1 hour ago, Ekar said:

Thanks ZekesReef-  I've covered everything I possibly can, including cutting a hole vertically through some filter sponge and sticking the tubing through it.

My only hope now is the tubing/return hose itself, or a new pump. 

I've also ordered an 'oxo' silicon mat for the pump to sit on.

Ahh bummer. Well if you want a near silent pump, a decent DC pump will generally be wisper quiet and reliable!

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Ekar said:

Cheers for the advice! Looking at DC pumps now. Currently considering this: seems it will just fit in the return pump chamber
Innovative Marine Mighty Jet DC Return Pump (Desktop: 326 GPH): Amazon.com.au: Pet Supplies

Yeah, that one is good too from everyone I have heard who has one, it was what I was going to switch to as well if I couldnt get mine to work, maybe I got lucky with the jiggling and all on mine.  Dont bother trying to talk to Sicce directly like I did, they just give you the brush off when you do.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

New Years update: 

The new pump (Innovative Marine Mighty Jet) is a dream. It was critical for me to get the noise down in the tank and this did it. Difference is night and day and I couldn't be happier. Spent a bit more than I originally wanted on the pump, but in this case I believe it was worth it (and I still have the Sicce as a backup/spare). 

On the day before New Years I introduced a lovely Banggai Cardinal and Bicolor Blenny. They seem to be doing well in the tank. The Banggai doesn't like brine shrimp but loves mysis shrimp. The blenny eats everything 🙂

Have noticed a bit of brown gunk growing on the rocks.. looks like time to introduce a few snails. 

Another gear issue... I got an AquaKnight V2 light, and I'm really happy with it apart from one issue- a constantly ramping fan. Looking now to see what I can do to fix/replace. 

All in all, really happy with the (slow) progress and looking forward to new additions.

• Like 1

Fish Stocking Plan:

1 Banggai Cardinal (added)
1 Bicolor Blenny (added)
1 Sixline / Pink-Streaked wrasse
Later on...  (if we feel we can manage it)   1 Captive Bred Mandarin

As far as inverts go, both my son and I are quite taken with a coral banded shrimp. Hearing a few stories about aggressiveness though. 

Coral Focus:

Mostly planning on zoas, acans, ricordeas (these are my current fav's), with a few torches or similar for movement. Maybe a plating SPS piece at the top later on.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

i got my self a Cube 20 to and as i am in Europ im having problems getting a silent Pump as well :(

I have a Jebao 1200, it seams working but ther is this DC snurring sound all the time,.. the Stock Pump is loud as well, i also tried a Eheim CompactON 600 an 1000, both ar also loud.

Problem is i should run them maybe at least a few days because normaly pumps get silent with time or ?
But what i dont get, every pump is dead silent if i put it in the main part of the tank,.. and if its in the small pump chamber every pump seams loud as Fu## :(
Iam thinking about getting an outfilter that is on the floor like in freshwater tanks, because i need that aquarium to be dead silent, did not think that it is that hard to find a silent pump vor 20cm of water,..

• 2 years later...