Pod Your Reef

Clingfish?

Leo_ian

Yellow Stripe Clingfish. Supposed to be very difficult but I found they will eat eggs, like roe or shrimp eggs... they can be trained to eat them out of clam shells. So if you can source eggs you may be able to keep them. I did get some response from mysis but not till after I got them eating other foods first and they never ate anything quite as well as shrimp roe.

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp is likely another good idea.

They eat urchin feet and shrimp eggs in the wild so makes sense.

Very personable and once you get them eating they will swim up and wag their tails at you in excitement. 

A bit messy to keep in terms of bioload due to eating habits but at the same time they are easier to train in a small tank. 

They like to be kept in groups and will even sleep next to each other.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Yellow Stripe Clingfish. Supposed to be very difficult but I found they will eat eggs, like roe or shrimp eggs... they can be trained to eat them out of clam shells. So if you can source eggs you may be able to keep them. I did get some response from mysis but not till after I got them eating other foods first and they never ate anything quite as well as shrimp roe.

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp is likely another good idea.

They eat urchin feet and shrimp eggs in the wild so makes sense.

Very personable and once you get them eating they will swim up and wag their tails at you in excitement. 

A bit messy to keep in terms of bioload due to eating habits but at the same time they are easier to train in a small tank. 

They like to be kept in groups and will even sleep next to each other.

ah so if i get one now, i could get somemore later on?

11 hours ago, Leo_ian said:

ah so if i get one now, i could get somemore later on?

Yes.. I think Live Aquaria has them in stock right now. They pop up now and again.

Just know these are special care fish. I would try not to put stuff in with them that may steal their food and such. When smaller they can easily go into back chambers or sumps and I had to block all that off. Not sure if powerheads will be a danger as I used a hob filter.

The one in the photo looks to be a good size and a female. The males are smaller with smaller snouts and much more difficult to keep alive as they have a harder time eating prepared foods.

• Thanks 1