Pod Your Reef

What CUC for 10g

Clownfish king

UpsideDownPumpkin

Probably not the answer you’re hoping for but the quickest option is to remove it yourself. Nothing will eat it quicker than it can regrow, in my opinion. Much easier to just run a magnet algae scraper over the glass once a day or so for the film on the glass so that it doesn’t get a chance to encrust, then blow anything off the rocks with a turkey baster. Once it becomes routine and doesn’t get a chance to build up, it’s a sixty second job 🙂

Check your nutrients. If they're too low, non-pest algae can't get established to outcompete the pest algae. 

Most snails will eat film algae. I think saltwater nerites and ceriths will eat cyano to some degree? But manual removal works best for cyano, especially large mats. 

You don't want your snails to eat every bit of algae in the tank, so the best route long-term is to just clean your glass by hand and leave the rocks to the snails. 

In my experience while cycling once you clean the film algae off it pretty much doesn’t come back as bad again. But you gotta clean the glass of completely  and blow it off all the rocks. After that the good algae takes off and didn’t leave room for the bad stuff to grow anymore. My favorites are margarita snails. They don’t fall over and just die like astrea snails do and most if the time they can right themselves. They clean like crazy to and love to eat cyno.  Hermit crabs are a must in my take because they are just so cute 😂😂 but they don’t take care of algae supper great. They prefer to be carnivores. They eat algae but it doesn’t  help much. 

Margarita snails are a coldwater species, they don't do well long-term in reef tanks. Astrea snails only fall over on a regular basis if they're not doing well- healthy, well-fed ones generally don't wind up on their backs at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are some bacterial solutions as well. Check out Dr Tims, 👨‍⚕️

https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/solutions/algae-cyano-dinos/

You can research others who have used that successfully. Just heard about it myself, never used it. 

Otherwise you can put in the elbow work, do some water changes and syphoning and find your inner patience for the tank to mature  🙂

Hi, guess I’m a little late to the party, but thought I’d join in. What cleanup crew do you already have? How long has your tank been running? Can you post a pic? I’m thinking you may have already resolved the issues since it’s been a while, but I’d be happy to try to chime in and help if you still need it. 🙂

Clownfish king

Oh man the algae was NOT resolved it started to produce a white mist around it and clouded the tank I know everything is alive though I have 2 Nass snails 2 turbos I think 2 blue legs 

4 hours ago, Clownfish king said:

Oh man the algae was NOT resolved it started to produce a white mist around it and clouded the tank I know everything is alive though I have 2 Nass snails 2 turbos I think 2 blue legs 

Ah okay...well pics would really help us to help you better... even if it looks bad.

Generally speaking I would recommend more snails for a 10 gallon. Check out the recommended types and number of snails on the Reef Cleaners website. I know you probably can’t order from them since you’re in Canada, but it might give you an idea. I usually order a custom cleanup crew from them, plus I add a couple ninja star snails and Mexican turbo snails (which they don’t usually carry on Reef Cleaners, so I get them elsewhere) in each tank. 

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

However, sounds like you have some other issues going on that may need to be addressed first with the clouding and white mist. 

As for film algae on the glass, I recommend a Flipper Nano, a Two Little Fishies Nano Mag, and/or this type of scraper (I use all 3 in my tanks):

Segarty Aquarium Razor Cleaner, Steel Fish Tank Scraper …
by Segarty
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6XBY37/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_zjj-FbYCB0PV6

2 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

Ok so it’s a Bacteria boom  the cloudy stuff 

Can’t really say for sure without pics. 

15 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

Ok since everything is overpriced at my LFS hare is the clean up crew I can afford  a snail and two hermit crabs

Well if that’s the case... snails are more beneficial than hermits in my experience so I would just get snails.