Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefCap

Update!

Had an almost emergency with the tank that was averted. The dresser the tank was on was starting to bow from the weight of the tank and I could feel some water damage on the underside of the particle board. So I got a new desk from IKEA that’s metal braced on the bottom and plastic coated.

Moving the tank wasn’t to bad. I did a water change but also drained as much water as I could into spare containers then lifted it by hand and walked it over to the desk. It wasn’t as heavy as I though it was going to be, or maybe I’ve just gotten stronger from lifting patients all day at work.

But moving the tank was for the best because now I can see all three sides of the tank! This will make cleaning a lot easier. Now I have more places to put corals and actually see them!

Here’s the tank from each angle.

5DA5ABE9-8ED8-4717-90F6-97EF23E62289.jpeg

950C9112-CC13-46FD-B597-F349BB55A706.jpeg

A737A0EF-EB8E-4183-9580-DCAA289CF5BB.jpeg

• Like 1

No real updates this weekend, slowly trying to get my levels up Mag was a little low same with Cal. I did add a new coral, it might be one of my new favorites, it’s a favites that has some great color!

FC891FD4-973F-4E07-96F8-24D9DF666B17.jpeg

Add some more corals yesterday. Aussie torch, a green Yuma, and a sea rod. I am officially taking a break from buying Zoas because they are all melting two days after adding them. Don’t know why this is happening but everything else is doing fine.

Heres some photos of the new corals

5BF81109-71ED-4458-ACF7-7160B271897D.jpeg

A086F699-E3D7-49B2-A97A-DCA56411391A.jpeg

E8A4B3E7-8B61-46AB-A92B-82595BB54425.jpeg

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

hmm thats pretty fast melting, especially for zoas. do you dose any trace elements/iodine? Any other softies in the tank? 

for the longest time I thought my old cube just hated zoanthids, turns out it was the darn asterina stars eating them. 🤷‍♀️

• Wow 1
5 hours ago, thecoralbeauty said:

hmm thats pretty fast melting, especially for zoas. do you dose any trace elements/iodine? Any other softies in the tank? 

for the longest time I thought my old cube just hated zoanthids, turns out it was the darn asterina stars eating them. 🤷‍♀️

No trace elements or iodine. I’ve only done trace elements back when I was doing a lot of acros and loved it but never needed to for LPS or softies. Iodine dosing scares me a little and I know it gets replenished during weekly water changes. The only real softie is a tiny green long polyp toadstool who isn’t shedding and I run carbon.

Im going to wait a month or two before attempting to add Zoas again. Maybe a little more maturity in the tank will help.

Also no hitchhikers so far because I’m very diligent about where I buy and how I dip everything.

• Like 2

So having not a great time with the tank this week. 1 fish dead, 1 M.I.A. presumed dead now. Got a yellow clown goby (my fiancee’s favorite fish) he died within 48 hours. The rainford has been MIA all week and there’s no where for it to hide really. Snails are sluggish and barely responsive. Conch same as snails. And now a bacterial bloom in the water. Corals are doing ok but not thriving. I was hoping to get the UV sterilizer for the tank made by IM but it’s sold out everywhere. I guess water changes and waiting it is.

• Sad 2
19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Maybe the goby brought in a disease and the resulting deaths caused a bacteria bloom? 

Here is a UV for ya:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovative-Marine-AUQA-SHIELD-UV-STERILIZER-DESKTOP-8701/264822694143?hash=item3da8a9a0ff:g:wJ0AAOSw88VfkhhW

He was on the skinny side and I wanted to save him but yeah that’s 100% a possibility that we will never find the answer to. Thanks for the link I ordered it! 

8 hours ago, ReefCap said:

He was on the skinny side and I wanted to save him but yeah that’s 100% a possibility that we will never find the answer to. Thanks for the link I ordered it! 

Huge bummer, sorry. I recently had a rainford Goby disappear without a trace as well.  From what I’ve read clown gobys (particularly the yellow ones) are prone to starving and sometimes will refuse to eat. Was it eating when you bought it do you know?

15 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Huge bummer, sorry. I recently had a rainford Goby disappear without a trace as well.  From what I’ve read clown gobys (particularly the yellow ones) are prone to starving and sometimes will refuse to eat. Was it eating when you bought it do you know?

Was eating frozen at the store. I made them feed him before I got him. Was feeding 2x a day, small amounts, and he was active an happy. What I believe happened was where he was spending his nights was really close to the favites and he got stung freaked out got stuck to the power head and died of stress.

On the bright side... kind of... the tank is now crystal clear and I bought a UV sterilizer for nothing. I’m glad to have it just in case anything happens though.

The fire fish and corals are all looking good now but the rainfords is still MIA

• Like 1

Some exciting news! My fiancée might be the best enabler of my hobby and for Valentine’s Day she got me/us the WWC monthly boxes! First one shows up tomorrow. Tank has been doing fairly well the last week. Starting to finally get some uglies. Mostly a little cyano on the sand but all the corals are looking better than ever. Pictures to come Monday once the new corals settle in.

Also I got approval to set up a tank at work. I work as an EMT for SLC and spend half of my week at SLC International Airport where we have an office. So I decided to set up a little betta tank for me and my partner and the other crew to enjoy.

Tank is a Fluval spec 3. Planted with some easy plants that I can never remember the names of. Just added the betta today after cycling for 2 weeks. He’s a very grumpy boi who puffs up at everything. No name yet the other crew asked to name him.

D88E9EFE-D526-49D8-A0EA-3EEE8961A8C7.jpeg

• Like 1