inTank Media Baskets

ReefCap

I’m back! Did a move to SLC last November and pretty much started my whole life over and it’s going great. Finally got a tank going again too!

So here’s the details:

Hardware:

IM Nuvo 14

AI prime

Aquatop titanium heater

IM Custom Caddy (Filterfloss, Chemipure Elite, Marinepure Gems)

Fish:

Helfrichi Firefish

Rainford’s Goby

Invertebrates:

1x Nassarius Snail

1x Red Leg Hermit

3x Trochus Snails

1x Conch

Coral:

Green Polyp Toadstool

Red/Yellow Yuma

Green Yuma

Rainbow Favites

Aussie Torch

Sea Rod 

12/15/20

428EEB45-F1F5-4C33-9410-B30A053346CC.jpeg

53D3F3FD-F6E6-4433-A66F-C052D4B7CF7A.jpeg

• Like 5

Future plans for the tank:

Getting an ATO going.

Power head ASAP!

IM Custom Caddy

IM desktop media reactor for carbon

A better stand than the top of the dresser

Live stock plans:

2 more small unique fish not sure yet

LOTS AND LOTS OF ZOAS!

A show stopper torch for the top of the arch

Green polyp leather

Lots of LPS

Oh and a clean up crew when there’s stuff for them to eat.

Ok my worries are over the Fire fish is eating and coming out! He was being super reluctant at the LFS but I took a chance anyways. Right now I’m using LRS reef frenzy nano and I’ll be trying to move him over to TDO pellets eventually.

The Rainy Day Aquarium

I've always liked the Nuvo 14. Pretty slick looking tank and it looks like you're well on your way to having a nice reef!

Just don't go south of point of the mountain, those are my stomping grounds 😉

If you want zoas, Nick over in Draper has a ton and he does some pretty great auctions on his site: https://coralscoral.com/ I go there in person once in a while and he always hooks me up.

Also Rusty's Reefs is highly recommended, he's a pretty stand up guy and has been able to get almost anything in for me, they have good prices too. 

7 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

I've always liked the Nuvo 14. Pretty slick looking tank and it looks like you're well on your way to having a nice reef!

Just don't go south of point of the mountain, those are my stomping grounds 😉

If you want zoas, Nick over in Draper has a ton and he does some pretty great auctions on his site: https://coralscoral.com/ I go there in person once in a while and he always hooks me up.

Also Rusty's Reefs is highly recommended, he's a pretty stand up guy and has been able to get almost anything in for me, they have good prices too. 

Awesome thank you so much I’ve been trying to find other stores the only one I’ve found so far was OCD reef and they are ok. Hopefully on my days off I’ll go and take a look.

• Like 1

Welcome back. New life new tank. sounds good. 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, ReefCap said:

Live stock plans:

2 more small unique fish not sure yet

LOTS AND LOTS OF ZOAS!

A show stopper torch for the top of the arch

Green polyp leather

Lots of LPS

Oh and a clean up crew when there’s stuff for them to eat.

I like this plan.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PR_nano said:

Following along, I also have a Nuvo P14 but mine is sitting in a box. Still need to figure out which ATO and narrow stocking ideas. 

Hopefully you can use me for some ideas!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ReefCap said:

Awesome thank you so much I’ve been trying to find other stores the only one I’ve found so far was OCD reef and they are ok. Hopefully on my days off I’ll go and take a look.

I moved to slc in March ha. So yea rustys as mentioned is basically the best. The fish tank is probably my second favorite as far as availability. There’s one in Orem called aquatic evolution but because of covid it’s only open like Friday and Saturday I thing. But their inverts are well priced (emerald crabs for like $4). There are others I didn’t like, but I won’t bad mouth them publicly. 

as rainy said nick is actually awesome. He’s in Draper and super nice. You can stop on and see his frags in person (in his basement) or shop online. He does 3x week auctions and you can sometimes get a great deal. I got a 7 head zoa drag for like $7 one night. Over Black Friday he did BOGO+1 free just for coming in. I highly recommend. 

there’s a couple local Facebook pages as well if you’re interested and people sell off frags, unwanted equipment etc 🙂 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Thetravelguy said:

I moved to slc in March ha. So yea rustys as mentioned is basically the best. The fish tank is probably my second favorite as far as availability. There’s one in Orem called aquatic evolution but because of covid it’s only open like Friday and Saturday I thing. But their inverts are well priced (emerald crabs for like $4). There are others I didn’t like, but I won’t bad mouth them publicly. 

as rainy said nick is actually awesome. He’s in Draper and super nice. You can stop on and see his frags in person (in his basement) or shop online. He does 3x week auctions and you can sometimes get a great deal. I got a 7 head zoa drag for like $7 one night. Over Black Friday he did BOGO+1 free just for coming in. I highly recommend. 

there’s a couple local Facebook pages as well if you’re interested and people sell off frags, unwanted equipment etc 🙂 

Could you PM me links to the FB groups I would love to get to know the local reefing community here! Thanks!

NoOneLikesADryTang

My daughter lives in Orem - I was up that way last month and scoped out most of the stores. 

The Fish Tank, and Rusty's were by far the best. Reef On had a good fish selection, but was limited on corals. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ReefCap said:

Could you PM me links to the FB groups I would love to get to know the local reefing community here! Thanks!

Yep I’ve got you 

• Thanks 1

So my NO3 is high. I want it close to 2-3 and I’ve been using NO3-PO4X from day 1 per red sea’s instructions. PO4 was .01, zero NO2, or ammonia. The fish is doing fine but the Zoas are not opening and my acan is looking sad. 

What is the NO3 at?

po4 .01 is too low. Zoas like nutrients. I ran my LPS tank with zoas around 30 Nitrates and 0.1 PO4.

I think the nopox is starving them. I would say 2-3 is too low for zoas and LPS.

NO3 was at 32. I’ve always had good success with Zoas in low nutrient systems because I prefer to spot feed. My goal with all my nano tanks in the past is minimal water changes, zero algae or hitchhikers, and dosing to keep things stable.

My jebao power head finally came in and I got that started last night and everything was starting to look better. I think the acan isn’t going to make it sadly.

I did order a media basket because I hate the IM filter socks along with the Marine Pure gems for more surface area for Bactria and some filter floss.

I will be stopping NO3PO4X soon but I need to ween the tank off of it first.

Well I did a water change today, changed salt to Red Sea blue bucket. The Zoas still aren’t happy but 2 are showing signs of looking better. On the bright side the toadstool is opening up and I snagged a pic of the fire fish.

8C7047E1-26DB-4628-AA7A-CCF883C084AC.jpeg

• Like 2

Finally got the IM custom caddy and got rid of the filter sock. Water is looking clear than ever.

Picked up my first CUC, 1 Nassarius and 1 red leg hermit.

The toadstool and the Yuma are doing good but 3 Zoas have melted and the remaining 2 are still not opening. Going to keep giving them lots of love but I’m pretty sure they are going to be dead soon.

Im going to be doing a shotgun set of tests tonight or tomorrow depending on work.

Weekend update:

Finally had time to test everything in the tank and with everything starting to look better I picked up some new additions for the tank.

Picked up 2 new corals to see how they do. First one is an Acan Echinata, the second is a Mummy Eye Chalice. Both are already fluffy and the Acan even had its feeders out for a little bit. I also got a new fish, a Rainford’s goby, who is doing great so far.

I also added some pods to the tank for more biodiversity. Hopefully the Firefish didn’t eat all of them.

The one thing that concerned me a little was the water tests.

Alk: 9.8

Cal: 400

Mag: 1160

NO3: 1

PO4: .02

My NO3 dropped rapidly even though I stopped adding NO3POX last week. And my Mag and Cal are a little lower than I’d like. Tomorrow I will be getting 3 part dosing to bump everything up.

Sorry the photos aren’t the best still looking to get an orange filter and macro for the phone.

image.jpg

9FD12A63-93A0-49A9-957F-72F917ADA93A.jpeg

• Like 1

I also added three Trochus Snails to the CUC and mounted the some of the corals that are doing well. 

Camera filter is arriving tomorrow so better photos are on their way!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty
29 minutes ago, ReefCap said:

I also added three Trochus Snails to the CUC and mounted the some of the corals that are doing well. 

Camera filter is arriving tomorrow so better photos are on their way!

what camera filter are you going with? just realized youre in utah- the reefer who is coming to grab my old cube from me lives in utah. 🙂 

I got a little kit with a macro off of Amazon the clips onto the phone. I’ll give a little product review once it get it. It’s fairly cheap so I’m curious how well the macro works but the filters should be just fine.

9187735B-BFAE-46F3-97F6-9D4058AAFD71.png