thecoralbeauty

TheCoralBeauty's Transferred IM 50 EXT Lagoon

Jungle_v_i_p

Beautiful tank. Love the rock work and fish selection. That orange back wrasse is one of my favs. Corals looking great as well👍🏼

• Thanks 1

thecoralbeauty
6 hours ago, ReefCap said:

That’s a quick drop! Everything doing ok? 

fortunately, yes, i think. so far. I tend to not like running media in my tanks, and having not run GFO before i wasn't sure how it would act. i'm REALLY glad that i re-tested when I did! 

• Like 2

thecoralbeauty

So, the GFO is staying in. As soon as I remove it, PO4 goes back up (even overnight- no feeding or additives, or anything) I'd love to know where it's coming from. Can't wait for this not to be a new tank! lol If i can keep it hovering at .1, I'll be happy.

Still have some algae growth, which i'll take. I added 5 asteria snails over the weekend. 

All the wrasses are back out and about. really were starting to freak me out there, normally they're always out and bright and active, the tank felt spooky without them! Plus, i'm really attached to all my fish at this point. Even my derpy tang with his wonky fins and HLLE. 

I've noticed some clear slime or clear hair-algae looking stuff on the shadowed parts of my rocks. I'm wondering if they might be chrystophytes. I may try dosing vibrant lightly and gradually to see if it helps at all. My crew has been nibbling at my algae, but not this clear stuff. 🤔

Patiently waiting for the grow frame to arrive to place on the wall above the tank, and for the new tank lid parts to arrive. Carefully stuck some of my orchids on the overflow box today to see if I liked the effect of the flowers sitting above the tank as much as I thought i would. I do! 🙂  Just have to be extra mindful of drips after watering, but I think the frame, the fact that i water my orchids sparingly, and the offset of the tank from the wall, will all help with that. Its just a quick phone shot, so the water looks cloudy when its definitely not. I blame forgetting to turn the guest bathroom light off.

44A03A8B-62EF-42F9-AA80-550D282AB6E5.thumb.JPG.f0ef79fcf31494383b880847c4319b9f.JPG

• Like 1

ReefCap

One trick I’ve used for watering orchids to not over water them is ice cubes. Slowly drips water and prevents over watering.

I can’t wait to see the wall of plants behind the tank! I’m now thinking of doing succulents around or on the wall behind my little tank because of you.

That clear hair algae has also been showing up on my rock too but comes off with a little turkey baster.

Glad the PO4 is getting under control but it’s so weird that I spikes so quickly without doing anything other than taking out the GFO. Any chance that it’s an out side pollutant? Something on your arms when you put them in the tank? (Thinking outside the box) I saw you have a horse and there’s a lot of fertilizers used in the feed for large animals and in Timothy hay. Just a thought...

• Like 1

thecoralbeauty
9 hours ago, ReefCap said:

One trick I’ve used for watering orchids to not over water them is ice cubes. Slowly drips water and prevents over watering.

I can’t wait to see the wall of plants behind the tank! I’m now thinking of doing succulents around or on the wall behind my little tank because of you.

That clear hair algae has also been showing up on my rock too but comes off with a little turkey baster.

Glad the PO4 is getting under control but it’s so weird that I spikes so quickly without doing anything other than taking out the GFO. Any chance that it’s an out side pollutant? Something on your arms when you put them in the tank? (Thinking outside the box) I saw you have a horse and there’s a lot of fertilizers used in the feed for large animals and in Timothy hay. Just a thought...

yea, thats a good rule of thumb to keep folks from overwatering them. I don't use ice on mine anymore for a few reasons- 1, the temperature can shock their roots- 2, its not usually enough water to really quench them in my experience. I typically keep an eye on the velum of their roots and dunk them/drench them and fully let them drip off in my empty sink. Years and years later they repay me with blooms despite colorado being as dry as it is 🙂  i do need to repot two of my phalenopsis though. hopefully i haven't waited too long. I'm excited to see the plants with the tank too, I think they go well together!

interesting! Turkey baster isn't working for me unfortunately. i'll try to get some shots of it soon. since we both have it (or seem to), I wonder if it has something to do with the "bacteria" they claim to seed the live rock with? 

I had wondered about something horse-related like that, too, but then it would have also been an issue in my old tank, and it never was. It also doesn't explain why they jumped overnight without me touching the tank at all. I'm beginning to suspect the rock or sand. I'll take extra precautions to make sure my arms/hands are fully clean before I do anything in there, that's a good idea for sure. thank you!

• Like 1

ReefCap

I didn’t know about root shock I’ll have to remember that if I ever do orchids again!