Pod Your Reef

Beginning Stages

Nargard

Reefgoat gots this topic pretty much covered.

but being a long narrow tank, lighting can be more of a challenge. led strips are a good option to look into, and you can just add more as your need for more light grows or budget allows.

Reef brite makes some very affordable (and also very expensive) led strip lights. Bulk reef supply did some excellent testing of them and posted up a very good YouTube video about them. I personally just bought a 12” lumi lite to add to my pico tank To get better light spread than I get with my Ai prime alone

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Nargard said:

Oof......$300 for the mp10. How would that compare with something like a Turbelle Nanostream 6045 (1175 GPH) - Tunze? It's ~$75.

I have the turbelle 6020 and its awesome. The flow is amazing. Far better than my kps. Kps doesn't pump nearly the amount of flow as the 6020.

I wish i had gotten the nanostream with controller.

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have the turbelle 6020 and its awesome. The flow is amazing. Far better than my kps. Kps doesn't pump nearly the amount of flow as the 6020.

I wish i had gotten the nanostream with controller.

I just looked at this one. It's not so bad I guess. Pretty neat looking........I was mainly talking about the 6045. Its just unappealing to the eyes in my opinion. The dimensions on the 6020 appear to be 2.56"x2.36"x2.83". I like the size alot. The price isn't so bad either at 50 bucks for pump and another 53 for controller. After tax and shipping it'd be very close in price to kps. But with more output it looks better performance wise. Sweet! 

thecoralbeauty
17 hours ago, Nargard said:

I will probably get the mp10. I was going to buy a complete sump but after researching I'm going to save $ and buy a kit. Spend that money on the mp10. They look incredible.

I have an mp10 and mp40, both wireless. They are awesome. However, when I first got into the hobby, I had a cheap powerhead from petco that did the trick for a few years before I decided to upgrade. The main reason fueling my upgrade at all was because I also upgraded my light to the gen 3 radion.

Ecotech has a really great ecosystem that works beautifully together and you can get really fancy with programming a daily schedule for your pumps. But, if you're not going to commit to the whole ecosystem, I don't know if it would stand out as much. When I first got my MP10 (and then when I later added my MP40) I fiddled around with a day/night schedule with lighter flow at night, but I didn't see a huge difference one way or another and over the years I've just ended up running on the same setting and intensity 24/7 so I don't really take advantage of the programming capability. 

If I were you, I'd first figure out what you're going to do about your lights. If you're planning on keeping corals at all, the light is far more important to get right.  Cheap powerheads will absolutely do the trick. Cheap lights are much more hit or miss, so I would consider saving up for a good light first, and then upgrading your flow later. 

2 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I just looked at this one. It's not so bad I guess. Pretty neat looking........I was mainly talking about the 6045. Its just unappealing to the eyes in my opinion. The dimensions on the 6020 appear to be 2.56"x2.36"x2.83". I like the size alot. The price isn't so bad either at 50 bucks for pump and another 53 for controller. After tax and shipping it'd be very close in price to kps. But with more output it looks better performance wise. Sweet! 

Its very powerful but can't be hooked up to a controller. I asked tunze. I believe it can be put on a timer.

Its really cool that you can use it horizontally like a gyre or vertically.

They even sell rocks they can be hidden in. 

The 6040 is the same design with a controller

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Its very powerful but can't be hooked up to a controller. I asked tunze. I believe it can be put on a timer.

Its really cool that you can use it horizontally like a gyre or vertically.

They even sell rocks they can be hidden in. 

The 6040 is the same design with a controller

Drats....that sucks. I figured they just sold it separate. Lol

I know we're ALWAYS telling folks to buy the best light they can on the first go around, but if I had a 12 or 22 gallon long, the ONLY light I'd consider for this tank in particular is the Current USA Marine LED - no knobs, no fans, it's sleek, it's not complicated, and it's proven to grow softies and LPS.  Plus, it has their LOOP system with the power heads, but I don't know much about that stuff. 

Anyways, I've dreamed about buying this tank and that's what I'd do to keep it looking snazzy. 

#ChangeMyMind lol. 

12 hours ago, thecoralbeauty said:

I have an mp10 and mp40, both wireless. They are awesome. However, when I first got into the hobby, I had a cheap powerhead from petco that did the trick for a few years before I decided to upgrade. The main reason fueling my upgrade at all was because I also upgraded my light to the gen 3 radion.

Ecotech has a really great ecosystem that works beautifully together and you can get really fancy with programming a daily schedule for your pumps. But, if you're not going to commit to the whole ecosystem, I don't know if it would stand out as much. When I first got my MP10 (and then when I later added my MP40) I fiddled around with a day/night schedule with lighter flow at night, but I didn't see a huge difference one way or another and over the years I've just ended up running on the same setting and intensity 24/7 so I don't really take advantage of the programming capability. 

If I were you, I'd first figure out what you're going to do about your lights. If you're planning on keeping corals at all, the light is far more important to get right.  Cheap powerheads will absolutely do the trick. Cheap lights are much more hit or miss, so I would consider saving up for a good light first, and then upgrading your flow later. 

Really appreciate the input TCB. I will probably go with two big ticket items and go reasonable for the remainder of my initial build. Lights certainly appear to be a component to invest in. It appears to be challenging with a 22 long with respect to spill over. I still have a bit of research ahead of me along with you guys helping a new guy out with advice. I am committed to doing this right. Thanks again.

• Like 1
On 12/13/2020 at 2:01 PM, ReefGoat said:

You're welcome. Come back to this thread and ask if you have any other questions 

So, if I were to be less concerned about budget, what would you think of these:

Lighting: One (eventually 2) AI Prime 16HD LED Lights with Diffusers

In Tank Pump: Ecotech Vortech MP10 Powerhead w/ Quiet Drive (Mobius Ready)

Return Pump with one return line opposite the MP10: Jebao DCP-5000

I saw the Jebao on another 22 long build by cassianoyoung.

Then a 20 gallon 3 chamber sump. 1st chamber with a skimmer (eventually), 2nd chamber live rock, 3rd chamber return. 

53 minutes ago, Nargard said:

So, if I were to be less concerned about budget, what would you think of these:

Lighting: One (eventually 2) AI Prime 16HD LED Lights with Diffusers

In Tank Pump: Ecotech Vortech MP10 Powerhead w/ Quiet Drive (Mobius Ready)

Return Pump with one return line opposite the MP10: Jebao DCP-5000

I saw the Jebao on another 22 long build by cassianoyoung.

Then a 20 gallon 3 chamber sump. 1st chamber with a skimmer (eventually), 2nd chamber live rock, 3rd chamber return. 

That sounds like a solid plan. But like I said earlier. Only buy whats comfortable for you budget wise. This is just a hobby and no need to over extend yourself. If budget isn't a problem then go for it and that's a SOLID list. If in any remote way budget is a factor. I'd cut the corner on the mp10 and go with the tunze that was recommended. Or even jaebo powerheads. One place I wouldn't skimp is those lights. You won't regret buying that ai prime. Look no further than a few builds on here to see how beautiful of light that thing throws out. Plus they look bad ass. If your scape is centered you may only ever need one prime. 

1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

I'd cut the corner on the mp10 and go with the tunze that was recommended. Or even jaebo powerheads. One place I wouldn't skimp is those lights

Yes

Yes

And Yes

I still skimp on powerheads.

12 hours ago, farkwar said:

I still skimp on powerheads.

Right?  An EcoTech MP10 cost $300 and a Jebao OW8 cost $55.  The EcoTech does have the availability of getting tied to a battery backup (for another $300) and you won't have the power cord inside your tank like the Jebao.  If on a budget, don't get an MP10.

You don't need to spend $600 for good flow. 

I got a tunze nanostream 6020, no programming, no controller, plug n play- this thing has a ton of flow.

Can be used horizontally like a gyre or vertically.

Magnet holder, tiny.

$58 cdn.

10 times better than the jebao i had(won't buy their stuff again)

More flow than my expensive kps

And hydor, i have had no issues with them. Always reliable.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

You don't need to spend $600 for good flow. 

I got a tunze nanostream 6020, no programming, no controller, plug n play- this thing has a ton of flow.

Can be used horizontally like a gyre or vertically.

Magnet holder, tiny.

$58 cdn.

10 times better than the jebao i had(won't buy their stuff again)

More flow than my expensive kps

And hydor, i have had no issues with them. Always reliable.

Thanks Clown79. Great info.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you like to have a controller the 6040 is the same but with controller.

Do you have a preferred equipment vendor? Marine Depot? Bulk Reef Supply?

14 minutes ago, Nargard said:

Do you have a preferred equipment vendor? Marine Depot? Bulk Reef Supply?

I'm in cda so i order from reefsupplies or aquariumdepot. Brs is too expensive with shipping & customs. To ship at tester its like $35US.

If i was in the US, i'd go with either of the 2 you listed- whichever had the better price/return policy 

I've decided to buy a sump. Looking at the Eshopps R75 as it fits my space. In my mind I was going to have a fuge but I've been reading that it isn't really necessary. Here I could go with either a skimmer or a fuge.

Also, the connection here is 1" while my drain line out of the Fiji overflow box is 3/4". I can just use an adapter to downsize correct?

Any thoughts?

RS-75 Reef Sump 4th Gen - Eshopps

• Like 1