Llorgon

Adventures in keeping a SPS reef

Llorgon

Hello everyone. Welcome to my tank journal! Heads up this might be a bit of a slow build, but hopefully it will be worth it!

So here's what I am working with:
75 gallon tank with ghost overflow
trigger systems amethyst sump
Bubble Magnus doser
reef octopus int 110 skimmer
2x pulse 2
varioS-4 return pump
wave engine
apex controller
SB reef lights
ATK auto top off

I still need to pick up dosing containers, heaters and ATO container.

This will be reset number 3 with this tank. Only the lights and skimmer are going to be used from the previous builds. Everything else is brand new! I'm going to admit the previous iterations of this tank have all ended in failure so a SPS tank is going to be quite the task. All the previous iterations of the tank ended with corals slowly dying after a few months of growth as gha took over. Honestly this might be the last attempt at corals. Fish I can keep alive no problem, corals and snails not so much.

Hopefully you guys can help me have a successful tank.

PXL_20201024_203557649.jpg

PXL_20201024_204541353.jpg

• Like 1

Llorgon

It looks like I'll have to do some changes to the plumbing. I had a question about connecting the planing to the sump. The sump came with 2 tube connectors. The pipe from the tank fits snugly into the connector. Do I need to glue them together? The top of the connector does unscrew.

Probably going to have some issues with my equipment cabinet being on one side and cables not reaching far enough. Right now if I have the skimmer in the first compartment of the sump it won't reach to the cabinet. Same issue with the pulse 2 on the far side.

PXL_20201210_224834188.jpg

PXL_20201210_224844568.jpg

PXL_20201210_224905117.jpg

Llorgon

I completely overlooked the fact that I needed the connector cables for the wave engine. I tried to order 3, but they only had 1 in stock and won't be getting more until mid Jan. So I am going to have to look for another place to order them.

I did order some dosing containers to go with the doser. Would it be better to keep the doser and the containers in the stand or have them in the equipment cabinet?

I still need to pickup some heaters, a power bar, refugium light(any recommendations there?) and a ATO container.

I currently have glass lids. Would there be any benefit to switching to the mesh lid?

mitten_reef
2 hours ago, Llorgon said:

I completely overlooked the fact that I needed the connector cables for the wave engine. I tried to order 3, but they only had 1 in stock and won't be getting more until mid Jan. So I am going to have to look for another place to order them.

I did order some dosing containers to go with the doser. Would it be better to keep the doser and the containers in the stand or have them in the equipment cabinet?

I still need to pickup some heaters, a power bar, refugium light(any recommendations there?) and a ATO container.

I currently have glass lids. Would there be any benefit to switching to the mesh lid?

dosing pumps and containers can be in the cabinet, as long as you have enough line length to reach the sump chamber that you’re dosing into. I think placement of these are rather aesthetic than functional, but I also don’t have a sump system yet. 

mesh lid = better light penetration/less reflection. Light in the tank with mesh, or a lot of it could be on your ceiling from reflection. Glass does offer less evaporation.  

Llorgon
On 12/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, mitten_reef said:

dosing pumps and containers can be in the cabinet, as long as you have enough line length to reach the sump chamber that you’re dosing into. I think placement of these are rather aesthetic than functional, but I also don’t have a sump system yet. 

mesh lid = better light penetration/less reflection. Light in the tank with mesh, or a lot of it could be on your ceiling from reflection. Glass does offer less evaporation.  

Once the dosing containers come I will have to see where I can fit them and if I have enough line.

I was thinking the mesh lid would be better as well. Now to try and find a couple that will fit.

• Like 1

Llorgon

Next up for the tank is the plumbing. I can reuse some parts of the old setup but the main drain and emergency drain will have to be redone. Any tips on plumbing those? I've never done plumbing before.

Here is what I am working with.

PXL_20201222_181620444.jpg

IMG_20180304_111241.jpg

• Like 1