SaltCritters.com

Best heater for 5g Fluval spec V, also any fish/invert recommendations?

VaporCountry

A local has given me a Fluval spec V that I just set up. I am wondering what the most reliable heater to fit this tank is. I will probably end up putting it in the overflow chamber and just stuff floss back there. 

Also any fish and invert recommendations? I was kinda thinking a green clown goby and some sexy shrimp or bumble bee shrimp. It is going to be all mushrooms, mostly discoma. Do those shrimp ever eat mushrooms? I have read some people report they can eat zoas. 

2C0EA658-D18B-4F4C-8754-5D7C0857D91C.thumb.jpeg.1ed4e60dd7442c22a058b2888723966c.jpeg

• Like 1

"Tiny fish" is my recommendation. A clown goby would be fine. Make sure it's eating at the store, they often won't. 

Sexy shrimp (and Pederson's anemone shrimp) will host certain mushrooms, like clownfish in anemones, which is great to watch. 

As for the heater, get an Inkbird controller for it. The heater plugs into the Inkbird, and the Inkbird has a sensor in the water. If your heater fails on and overheats the tank, the Inkbird will stop it before it can do any damage. That's the most reliable heater- one with a backup controller.

• Like 1

Aqueon pro. I used it in my 5.5 spec. Great heater and still going. I use it in my 25g now.

I had a bicolor blenny in mine. Plenty of room for it, they graze and perch alot with only bursts of swimming.

Awesome fish too. So full of character.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:32 AM, Clown79 said:

Aqueon pro. I used it in my 5.5 spec. Great heater and still going. I use it in my 25g now.

I had a bicolor blenny in mine. Plenty of room for it, they graze and perch alot with only bursts of swimming.

Awesome fish too. So full of character.

Ok thank you, I will check that one out. Is that one of the preset heaters and what wattage did you use, 25w? I have an apex Jr on the tank as a backup failsafe. Im looking for a heater that can hold a stable temp.

I like that idea of a small blenny. Kinda want to get something fancy. Like the look of the tailspots a bit better, deffiently something to think about. I wonder if the blennies would get along with a clown goby.

Clown gobies have a bad-tasting slime coat that makes them resistant to bullying, as they're unpleasant to nip. However, I wouldn't suggest putting two fish in a 5gal as your first tank. May not be the best idea in general. Start with one fish, and once the tank is very well matured (at least a year), consider how your nitrates and phosphates are going and think from there if you could maybe add another fish to the bioload. 

1 hour ago, VaporCountry said:

Ok thank you, I will check that one out. Is that one of the preset heaters and what wattage did you use, 25w? I have an apex Jr on the tank as a backup failsafe. Im looking for a heater that can hold a stable temp.

I like that idea of a small blenny. Kinda want to get something fancy. Like the look of the tailspots a bit better, deffiently something to think about. I wonder if the blennies would get along with a clown goby.

no not preset. I don't generally use those because they are often unreliable. well my 5.5g stayed at 78 regularly and i had no temp controller on it.

my blenny got a long with a clown goby. They are compatable.

• Thanks 1