ReefCleaners.org

Sick Clownfish! Help

LesPaulGtr

Hi All,

Unfortunately, 1 or our 2 clownfish started looking sick last night, turning whitish, losing color and his back fins appear to be missing a section.  Breathing heavy and laying at the bottom of tank.  When the other clownfish touches her, she darts off somewhere else.  I've added an air stone to help with the breathing.  Also, did a large water change and parameters all seem normal.  Tank is nearly 2 years old and no recent additions to the tank.

From what I'm reading, it's not really clear which (if any) medications should be used. FYI the other clownfish appears OK.

Please help.  Thank you.

IMG_2749.jpg.80176381343a8543ef657dd5296f7694.jpg

IMG_2746.thumb.jpg.2c0ec52b95fb1a6a71cb4eec9ddc4356.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg.c2d7592f5d53473db5bfb438dc56c8c7.jpg

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

Thank you @Humblefish for the reply.  Is that even possible considering the fish are almost 2 years in the tank and the last additions (shrimp) were 9 months ago?  I thought this disease is only brought in from other livestock?  

Thanks

Usually if you haven’t added anything recently, (I.E corals, other fish, new rock ext) then it (whatever that your fish has) has been in your tank the whole time, but your fish have had immunity to it. If your fish got stressed then it’s immune system is weakened and then they are susceptible to disease. Sadly there’s not much hope for that fish to make it for any longer than a few days. The best thing you can do for it is to reduce stress as much as possible in hopes that he can fight it off. 

you can try and treat him, but again when you remove him from the tank his stress level is going to go through the roof, allowing the parasite to take over and kill within hours. So it’s only a matter of “will the treatment win or will the stress?” If he is eating at all you could feed him food soaked in garlic to help kill the parasite.

I would recommend moving him though, because otherwise all your fish will most likely get it to. 

Hope he will be ok! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LesPaulGtr said:

Thanks all. Since we don't know what it is, is it OK to use API General Cure and API Ick Cure simultaneously?  Thanks.

You can use General Cure in a QT, but I wouldn't combine it with the other medication.

Assuming this is Brook (I'm not sure), you can do either a 5 minute freshwater dip or 30 minute H2O2 bath for temporary relief. See links below:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401919-freshwater-dip-fish-treatment-information/

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/405330-hydrogen-peroxide-fish-treatment-information/

Thank you @Hazy and @Humblefish.  Here is the update: 2 nights ago and last night I gave API general cure.  I'm not seeing any improvement to it's physical appearance, still looking hazy/white.  Please see latest picture.  Part of the day it's laying on the gravel breathing heavy and other times when the light is on it's very active swimming around like crazy and fast and sometimes going to the surface.  It's also appeared to try and eat which is a good sign.

Should I try a different medicine?  I have no idea what other disease to treat for whether Brook or Ick?  Please help.  Thanks

IMG_2763.thumb.JPG.e631c81bcfb00716d3aa08b6282044ca.JPG

It’s encouraging that’s it’s swimming around. Normally I would say put it out of it’s misery, but if he’s trying to eat still, try feeding thawed brine or mysis shrimp soaked in garlic. To get the garlic you can chop up some fresh Garlic, let it sit in a small container and then use a pipette to suck up the juice from the bottom of the container. Put a few drops or about 1-2ml in a Normal feeding portion and spot feed him. The other fish would defiantly benefit from eating the garlic to. As far as I’m aware garlic can’t hurt your fish. (Maybe in high concentrations it could) some one can correct me if I’m wrong. The garlic will help to kill internal parasites and it should help boost the immune system of the fish to take care of the external. 

as for what your fish has I’m not very good at  ID maybe someone else knows? 

Thanks @Hazy for the advice.  I'm going to transfer to a QT tank.  @Humblefish I don't have quick access to Formalin or Rally within the next few days.  Would an effective treatment be a 5 minute freshwater dip followed by 10 days of Metroplex treatment in a QT?

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
RoyalGramma001
On 12/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, LesPaulGtr said:

Hi @Humblefish and All, any thoughts on how I should proceed?  Color of the fish is returning a bit, but still swimming on top of tank and moving pretty fast.  Thanks.

I would try formalin or reef rally I heard these are good cures for Brookynella hostillis from reef to reef forums in brook. 

• 1 month later...

On 12/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, Hazy said:

Usually if you haven’t added anything recently, (I.E corals, other fish, new rock ext) then it (whatever that your fish has) has been in your tank the whole time, but your fish have had immunity to it. If your fish got stressed then it’s immune system is weakened and then they are susceptible to disease. Sadly there’s not much hope for that fish to make it for any longer than a few days. The best thing you can do for it is to reduce stress as much as possible in hopes that he can fight it off. 

@LesPaulGtrwondering if you could respond to this?   As I was reading through I was bummed that you medicated and moved the fish before covering this....while med's MAY help (or hurt), stress is the most important part of the equation.

Stress is why the fish came down with whatever it has.  Do you have a good idea of the cause?  

Are the shrimp messing with fish – either during the day, or perhaps at night when the fish is trying to sleep?  

Do the fish and shrimp sleep in the same rock?  

Any other significant changes to the tank you can think of, aside from the shrimp?   (Do you have a tank thread?)