Pod Your Reef

Tiny, silent pump with 1/4" outlet?

Tired

The pump that came with my aquarium setup is getting noisy, and I don't like it. I have to put it on a low setting to avoid the noise bothering me, and I worry that even the low setting will stress things. I don't know how much vibration and noise the various creatures in this tank can put up with. 

What's the quietest pico-sized pump anyone can recommend? I need something pretty small to fit in the AIO chamber. I'll get exact measurements tomorrow. 

Semi-related, what would cause a pump to be more noisy after cleaning? I made sure to put everything back in tightly, it's all screwed in right, so I don't think that's the problem. Is it possible that wiping the biofilm off the shaft could have removed a cushioning effect that the film was having? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 10:25 PM, Tired said:

Semi-related, what would cause a pump to be more noisy after cleaning?

I would take it apart and let all the parts completely air dry.  This will allow you to see any calcium buildup that might be contributing to the problem.   (Invisible when wet unless the buildup is *really* thick.)

Also, double check the impeller's integrity while you have it apart.  (ie nothing broken, no missing parts, nothing mis-assembled, et al)

• Like 1
On 12/5/2020 at 9:25 PM, Tired said:

What's the quietest pico-sized pump anyone can recommend? I need something pretty small to fit in the AIO chamber. I'll get exact measurements tomorrow. 

Had a chance to get some measurements?  I've got a couple that might work for you, and I'm in AR. 

Shoot, I forgot to update this. I got a pump, the Newa Mini, that works. I had to put two adapters between it and the outlet (turns out I needed a 3/8" outlet), but it fits in the space I have and is very quiet. 

2 hours ago, Tired said:

Shoot, I forgot to update this. I got a pump, the Newa Mini, that works. I had to put two adapters between it and the outlet (turns out I needed a 3/8" outlet), but it fits in the space I have and is very quiet. 

Good to hear!  I've got a couple stock pumps that came with pico AIOs that I don't know what to do with.  Figured one of them might help.