Pod Your Reef

Waterbox Marine X 60.2 - In Search of Stability

Nano_Addict

1 hour ago, onthefly said:

Suhweet!

Sitting at 7week..and no email yet!

BTW...I just saw that AI "nerf"d" their HD line with a firmware update...making it so people can "overdrive" their LEDs...and potentially burn their lenses (probably for the best!).  Anyway,  I just called WB and switched from 3x Primes to 2x Radion G5 Blues....so excited!

The waiting is the hardest part!  Have you called Waterbox to see if you can get any additional details?  Chris was very helpful, the other girl who works CS, not as much. Mine ended up getting stuck in a container at customs for an additional two weeks after it "arrived".

That's crazy about AI, I hadn't heard that!  Can't imagine you'll be disappointed with the Radions, they're top notch.  When I was doing the research it came down to the XR15 and the Kessil A360X.  I ended up with the Kessil because I really liked the simplicity and small form factor. The fact that with their "Kessil logic" you can adjust the color to whatever is pleasing to your eye and still be providing the correct spectrum to the corals was very appealing. Seemed almost idiot-proof 😆

• Like 1

Daily update:

Day 10

Ammonia: 0.25-0.50ppm

Nitrite: >2ppm doesn’t match color chart. Potentially higher than available readings.

Nitrate: 50ppm

So in summary, ammonia is headed down which is good, but nitrite is sky high.  Based on the current trend it looks like I should hit ~0 ammonia in the next 2-3 days.  Hopefully after the ammonia has been processed the Nitrite will begin to subside as well.  Guessing I'll need at least another week to see any results.

There's also the nagging idea in the back of my head that I could just go buy a piece of live rock from the LFS and plunk it in the tank... patience, patience, patience!

• Like 1
On 1/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, Nano_Addict said:

"Chris was very helpful, the other girl who works CS, not as much."

You NAILED it right there!  She was useless, Chris is awesome!  Their popularity is booming right now, so the demand has definitely overpowered supply....oh well!  I can wait...and it's giving me time to think, re-think, re-re-think, wake up in the middle night think....things over LOL

On 1/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, Nano_Addict said:

That's crazy about AI, I hadn't heard that!  Can't imagine you'll be disappointed with the Radions, they're top notch.  When I was doing the research it came down to the XR15 and the Kessil A360X.  I ended up with the Kessil because I really liked the simplicity and small form factor. The fact that with their "Kessil logic" you can adjust the color to whatever is pleasing to your eye and still be providing the correct spectrum to the corals was very appealing. Seemed almost idiot-proof 😆

I looked REALLY hard at the Kessil....love the look and simplicity.  

• Like 1

Day 11

Ammonia 0.0-0.25

Nitrite - 2-5ppm

Day 12 

Ammonia - 0.0ppm or as close as the API test is going to show to 0

Nitrite - 2-5ppm

Nitrate - 75ppm

Finally, ammonia is at zero.  Now onto the nitrite! Hopefully it starts to subside soon.

I'm sure this is getting repetitive, but just to keep a record going...

Day 13

Ammonia - 0.0ppm

Nitrite - 2-5ppm

Nitrate - 75 ppm

Day 14

Ammonia - 0.0ppm

Nitrite - 2-5ppm

I've found some interesting information regarding cycling and nitrite in reef tanks.  Specifically, this article ( http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php ) points to the idea that we really don't need to worry about nitrite at all since the levels that would actually be considered toxic are hundreds or thousands of times higher than what we see in our tanks even during a cycle.

Also after reading this entire thread ( https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-unstick-any-seemingly-stuck-cycle.742202/ ) I'm debating giving the tank several large water changes, testing the parameters and seeing how things go.  Either way, nothing is happening until this weekend.

Day 15 - performed 15 gallon (~40%) water change in an attempt to bring down nitrites and nitrates.

Ammonia - 0.0

Nitrite - 2-5

Nitrite test kit coloration is worthless, it's impossible to really tell where the kit is reading.  Nitrates did come down after the water change.  I plan to perform 1-2 more to bring the nitrates closer to an acceptable level (aiming for 10-20 to start).  Once I hit that point I'm going to test the waters with a snail and hermit.  If all goes well fish will be in there soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 15- Day 23 (today)

Ammonia - 0.0ppm

Nitrite - 2-5ppm

So..... after testing that the tank was processing ammonia, on Day 15 I introduced a hermit and a snail to see how it handled some life and began lightly feeding.  After another 7 days I decided it was time to move the clowns over from the 20 gallon.  The 20 is still up and running in case for some reason ammonia were to spike in the new tank.  However after two days the clowns are fine and the ammonia is still reading 0.

If this holds, the 20 will be coming down next weekend and this tank will be fully up and running!

IMG_1671.thumb.jpeg.8063da677ce5c581a70a4b68ac06be96.jpeg

IMG_1677.thumb.jpeg.6e08bdfb3f88b436dad3b51965434abf.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Nano_Addict changed the title to Waterbox Marine X 60.2 - Finally Fish!
brucebruce327
23 hours ago, onthefly said:

Sweet!  My 90.3 is supposed to ship next Monday

I'm waiting for a 90.3 as well. I just ordered it last week so I'm probably down on the list. 

• Like 1
On 2/10/2021 at 6:56 PM, brucebruce327 said:

I'm waiting for a 90.3 as well. I just ordered it last week so I'm probably down on the list. 

Gonna be good!  Worth the wait!

So here we are, day 32 of Brightwell's "quick" cycle 🙃.  Just tested the tank as I have been semi-regularly of late and ammonia still 0 and nitrites still 2-5 or higher.  Clownfish have been in the tank a full two weeks and are completely fine as is the pistol shrimp I added last week.  I've done 10g (~25%) water changes weekly for the past three weeks and that has done nothing for the nitrites.

The next step for this tank is to go lights on.  However, before I do that I need to get these nitrites under control so I can get an accurate reading on my nitrates.  I don't want to turn on the lights full blast with 100ppm nitrate and have a tank so thick with algae I can't see anything.  So, begrudgingly (mostly because I had a bottle lying around) I'm sticking with Brightwell and adding Microbacter7 beginning today following a slightly lower dose than the recommended for "high nutrient" systems. Let's hope this works 🤞

• 2 weeks later...
Nano_Addict

FORTY DAYS

It took forty days, but the tank is at 0 nitrite 🙏

IMG_1741.thumb.jpeg.8880a86aa8054897e2b55752f9b36c84.jpeg

Brightwell needs to seriously reconsider their advertising for the Start XLM bacteria. The bacteria seemed to work really well at processing the ammonia which was great.  But it stalled dead and did nothing for the nitrite.  Ironically, it was the tried and true Microbacter 7 that got this tank to where it needed to be.  Almost immediately after beginning to dose MB7 I saw a reduction in nitrites and they were gone entirely after a week.  

After seeing that nitrites had gone to 0ppm, I tested nitrate and it was at a very acceptable 2-5ppm

Now that all the levels are where they need to be, it's about time to turn the lights on and see what happens 😎 . Oh and also play around with some new gear!

IMG_1740.thumb.jpeg.4919e2e27db3a6bad8617a821e7c6789.jpeg

IMG_1736.thumb.jpeg.abe704c614729c7dde330752df7ee683.jpeg

Next on the todo list: some sort of lid, then a few more fish!

I bet you see better results with the longer cycle!  I have the Start kit as well (starting today actually), but I also bought to bottles of MB7 and MBclean.  Just in case 🙂

• Like 1
Nano_Addict
1 hour ago, onthefly said:

I bet you see better results with the longer cycle!  I have the Start kit as well (starting today actually), but I also bought to bottles of MB7 and MBclean.  Just in case 🙂

I'm hopeful that it results in a strong cycle, I see no reason why it shouldn't!  Interestingly, I could swear I'm seeing specs of coraline on the glass and rock (even though the light hasn't really been on save for a few hours yesterday).  If that's actually what it is, it must have hitchiked in on the hermit that I put in there a month ago.

Nano_Addict

Anyway, I'm looking for some input on fish for this tank. Nothing will be happening for a few weeks yet, since I'm waiting for a lid to arrive from @Kraken Reef !!

However, in the meantime I'd like to get some feedback on my overall stocking list. Currently I'm thinking:

• 2X clownfish
  • 1x Goby (either Yasha or Yellow watchmen) I've always had a soft spot for the watchmen since it was the first marine fish I bought when I started reefing 15 years ago.
  • Tailspot Blenny (Utilitarian to help eat algae off the rock and also a fish with a lot of personality from what I see online)

Here's where things it a little more complicated. I understand the limitations of a tank this size, but I really would love some fish that could form a small school. Obviously anthias are out and I'm not really a huge fan of cardinal fish. After researching, it seems like the fish below MIGHT be a good option.

• 3X Blue Flasher Wrasse OR 3X Chalk Basslett.

That would leave me with 6 fish. Based on how I've set the filtration up on this tank I think it will be able to handle the bioload. I've also invested in a couple autofeeders to keep everyone well fed throughout the day. Additionally, I tried to select fish which inhabit different areas of the water column, so that they hopefully don't bother one another as much.

Looking for any feedback, positive or negative!

• 2 weeks later...
Nano_Addict
On 3/24/2021 at 8:47 AM, Alkalinity said:

Love the build. Any updates ?

The past few weeks have been fairly quiet.  I've added a couple new pieces of equipment and the tank is starting to hit the ugly stage.  During a trip to the LFS for snails, I did come home with a skunk cleaner shrimp! I've always loved these shrimp and they make a great addition to the clean up crew so I just couldn't pass it up.

I also ordered and received a lid from @Kraken Reef!  This lid is 100% quality.  The fit and finish is so far above the screen kits i've used in the past and the integrated feeding slots for the Neptune AFS are perfect.

DB0A9A8E-58D3-481B-9A2D-C3B20AC27E55.thumb.jpg.f0caf23c2a567f23559c28eeb3c0e8f7.jpg

AB0DCEFF-8039-4D66-B198-2CB1C8AEEB11.thumb.jpg.d9c69a0c8e4c8036f535407fdc354cc3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Nano_Addict

First of the new fish to land in the the tank is a tailspot blenny!  Seems to be settling in nicely, and getting along well with the existing clownfish.

IMG_1835.thumb.jpeg.2c6ed88467bfb8a9762430dab1fcbe21.jpeg

I also recently added a CO2 scrubber to the tank.  The pH had been hovering between 7.8 and 8.0 during the day.  Immediately after adding the scrubber, the CO2 jumped and has been holding steady between 8.2 and 8.3.  While it isn't essential at the moment since the tank doesn't have any coral, I'm looking to get the parameters steady and hopefully add coral in the next couple months... plus CO2 media is cheap!

Quick snapshot of the pH before and after adding the scrubber.

2012001459_Screenshot2021-04-02111652.thumb.jpg.12dd0bd1089ac8f04235094a5dad1e87.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Nano_Addict

It's been a minute since the last update... newborns can really keep you busy! 

Keeping it brief for the moment but I'll hopefully be back soon with some pictures and a more detailed update.  Tank is still chugging, but has definitely hit an ugly stage... maybe because the lights have been fully ramped up, maybe it's because of the addition of more fish, maybe it's because of the addition of coral? Who knows, either way it's nasty... on second thought maybe i'll wait until this passes to provide a real update.... okay, here's one not so great picture.

1.thumb.jpg.fda573a7be80bdf72bb85389607b0c72.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

About that ugly stage.... Still dealing with it.  This is my first time starting a tank with dry rock and dry sand and boy, the others out there who say it's difficult aren't lying!  The story of the past 9 months has been peaks and valleys, careening from one issue to the next.  The tank has been battling through various forms of algae and bacterial blooms, the likes of which I've never dealt with before.  

Since these issues seem to stem from a lack of diversity within the tank, I've been continually adding pods, and recently purchased some live rock rubble from aquabiomics.com.  Additionally, I decided to swap out the old sand with some new "live sand" from ocean direct.  This stuff is shipped wet and supposedly contains all the good bacteria and microbes right out of the ocean.  Below is a picture from the day after the swap... things seemed to be looking up! 

IMG_2404.thumb.JPG.57ae4ec83ee4854b9a28631349826e0c.JPG

However, while the new sand seemed to help beat back the dinos... the cyano I was battling EXPLODED a firm hold on the entire rock structure.  It was thick, green and full of bubbles... at least I think it's cyano.  Anyway, I decided it was time for a hail mary.  Enter the three day blackout.  I took a powerhead and blew off all the cyano I could, siphoned as much out of the tank as possible, and wrapped the tank in cardboard.

65446239834__B331FA6B-2090-445F-8005-3817879D506E.thumb.jpeg.7d8daf12377f790544e01e36ace0bf9b.jpegIMG_2442.thumb.jpeg.760d8cb81c2abb5d84b33c75464fcdba.jpeg

Hopefully this works as a reset button for the tank and allows me to get whatever survives the blackout under control.  I'd really like to add some coral to this tank eventually 😅

• Sad 1
  • Nano_Addict changed the title to Waterbox Marine X 60.2 - Battling Through

The blackout works!  ...at least so far.  I unboxed the tank to see super clean rock and sand.  There are a few straggling bits of cyano in the back corners, but that's it.  My plan for the near term is to blow off the rockwork daily to discourage the cyano from taking hold again.  

Additionally, without all that cyano sucking up my nutrients I've finally been able to maintain NO3 and PO4 at 5ppm and 0.6ppm respectively, albeit the PO4 is a bit high.  At least they're not bottoming out like they've been doing continually for the past 4 months.

Picture update! 

IMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.321da3a6058dd433faacd80220a6a560.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

The tank is officially one year old!  However, I'm still searching for stability. Dry rock and dry sand to start has to be one of the most difficult paths to a reef I've ever taken.  

Looking back, the ability to construct a rock structure that matches exactly what I had in my mind was great, but I don't think the trade off of constant stability issues for the past twelve months is worth it.  However, I'm hoping things are starting to level out.  I'm still dealing with a but of stubborn cyano on the sandbed, but even that is beginning to fade.  I also recently dealt with a 2-part precipitation issue.  This was likely my fault.  I was running a CO2 reactor and I believe the pH got too high and created the conditions for the 2-part to begin to precipitate.  I removed the reactor and things have started to stabilize.

The tanks inhabitants are all still there, but I'm thinking more and more about adding a few more fish.  There's currently 5 fish in the tank, but they're all relatively shy.  I'd love to add a small school of cardinals, chromis, or flasher wrasse to give the water column some regular activity.  I also have a few tester corals in the tank which seem to be doing relatively well considering the recent precipitation issue I described.  I'm planning to order a few additional pieces after the Alk and Ca levels stabilize for a few weeks.

Here's a quick (bad) shot from December.  I'm going to try to snap a few recent shots once the sun sets, currently there's way too much glare on the tank!

tank.jpg

• Like 2
  • Nano_Addict changed the title to Waterbox Marine X 60.2 - In Search of Stability