kimberbee

Kimber's Squishy Tank - It's not looking good

kimberbee

Dealing with these dinos has been very frustrating. 

I've always taken a hands-off approach to my tanks, and that isn't going to work with getting rid of dinos. Testing frequently takes up a lot of time, and buying additives takes up a lot of money. 

Things in the tank have generally done ok... up until this past weekend. I hadn't dealt with anything dying off, but now my duncan coral has decided to give up. 3-4 polyps melted away over the course of a couple days, and now another patch of 4 or so is melting off too. 

I feel really bad - another coral that I've had over 5 years, and the host to my clownfish. I ran a set of tests this morning (alk, ca, mg, nit, phos, ph, salinity) and though nitrates and phosphates are still low, everything else is within my normal limits and staying stable. There's nothing I can do immediately, so I have a feeling of helplessness regarding the tank. 

20210113_090940.thumb.jpg.f764cfc08b06896eed5733c69e13b69b.jpg

• Sad 4
  • Wow 1

A.m.P

You seem to have a more toxic variant of dinos, and my experience is limited to what I've tried and what I've read, but if things are tight and you have metro lying around I did anecdotally-find it useful with my own large-cell amphidinium outbreak...

I cannot guarantee it's reef safe, I also do not have a sand bed to bind medications as all my tanks are BB.

However with the corals in my system at the time; GSP, Duncan, Frogspawn, Trumpet, Montis, I didn't see any real negative effect combined with a drastically less-intense and somewhat-reduced photoperiod (I'm still using the same rocks today).
That said, I imagine it could be allot harder on corallimorphs and anemones, but I only have vague recollections from previous readings to make me feel that way.

Otherwise manual removal through a few layers of cotton batting or a filter sock, then returning the water to the system can help, running heavy carbon can also help your corals and livestock (no need for a reactor, just throw some into anything porus but able to hold it and run it in a few tablespoon balls).

I'm sorry your tank is struggling, I hope heavy feedings and time are enough to get things back on track.

• Thanks 1

debbeach13

I bet the clown fish are very sad. Knock on wood I have only had a very brief showing of possible dino's once last year. I didn't know for sure what it was and hadn't read much about the way people deal with it. Except that I had read do not do any WC. I did the same thing I have always done for algae excluding WC - no lights, reduced feedings and manual remove of the sand they were on for 4 or 5 days and they were gone. I was very lucky. 

• Like 2

lizzyann

You might be able to go ahead and start fighting back the dinos at least somewhat without a lot of additives, assuming that's definitely what it is. Have you tried a black out? That should at least knock them back a little and give the corals a chance. I also tried to take the hands-off, stick to routine, approach when I thought I might have dinos and it definitely didn't work at all. I had ostreopsis and eventually got rid of them after running a uv sterilizer during a 3 day black out, increasing feeding, and adding pods, phyto, and I think a couple types of bacteria mixes. I wanted to stay away from meds and vibrant type stuff.

• Like 2

kimberbee
3 hours ago, A.m.P said:

You seem to have a more toxic variant of dinos, and my experience is limited to what I've tried and what I've read, but if things are tight and you have metro lying around I did anecdotally-find it useful with my own large-cell amphidinium outbreak...

I don't think what I have is very toxic, but I have had dinos for most of the past year. The duncans seem to be my canary-in-a-coal-mine and are *usually* the first to struggle when anything happens. Everything else looks good, so I don't want to go changing too much and risk pissing something else off. 

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I bet the clown fish are very sad. Knock on wood I have only had a very brief showing of possible dino's once last year. I didn't know for sure what it was and hadn't read much about the way people deal with it. Except that I had read do not do any WC. 

Last water change was 6 weeks ago. I guess not as long as it feels like. They haven't died back at all in that time. 

39 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Have you tried a black out? That should at least knock them back a little and give the corals a chance. I also tried to take the hands-off, stick to routine, approach when I thought I might have dinos and it definitely didn't work at all.

I believe the kind I have does not go into the water column like others do, so a blackout/uv doesn't help as much. I need to suck it up and get some additives, since increased feeding isn't helping enough. The cost, plus slow shipping, is just kind of a bummer. 

• Like 1

kimberbee

The duncan is still on a slow decline, so I'm going to go ahead and get some nitrate/phosphate additives on order. I'm trying to think of what else I could buy to help the tank in order to reach the free shipping minimum. 😂 

• Like 1

A.m.P
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

The duncan is still on a slow decline, so I'm going to go ahead and get some nitrate/phosphate additives on order. I'm trying to think of what else I could buy to help the tank in order to reach the free shipping minimum. 😂 

I think saltwateraquarium.com doesn't have a lower-limit on free shipping.

• Thanks 1