SaltCritters.com

Unsure of the Algae ID

Iamdasauce

Good Morning,

Over the last week I have been dealing with what I thought was new tank syndrome algae, as my tank is only 4 months old. However, over the last few days I have noticed that when the light is on the algae puffs up into a bunch of air bubbles. At first I thought it was a bubble algae hitchhiker on one of my corals, which it still could be. However, after some research I have learned it could be cyano bacteria. The bubbles are clear when they appear. I am currently keeping my lights off for the day in an attempt to starve whatever this algae is out. My few corals should be okay until tomorrow without some light.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

Sounds/looks like cyanobacteria to me.  If you blow it with a turkey baster does it come off easily? Cyano will get blown off in sheets. 

I'd siphon out as much as possible. Check that you have good flow where it's growing and your alk isn't too low.  You'll find plenty of removal methods and success stories if you search for them. 

Your tank does look pretty new, so I'd focus on tipping the balance in favor of the things you want to grow at this time, rather than going for chemical removal methods.

• Like 1

Bubbles on algae isn't always cyano and dino. Sometimes its just micro bubbles attaching to algae.

The green algae just looks like typical turf algae in the pic, possibly the beginning of gha.

• Like 1