inTank Media Baskets

New Member Introduction

Mrj7

Hello, I am new to reefing. I just want to introduce myself and make sure my head is in the right place. I have been researching the hobby for a couple weeks now and I have learned a lot. However, I know there is a lot more to learn.

At my “day job” I am an Industrial Maintenance Technician. So I have a good amount of experience and knowledge in troubleshooting, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fluid power, and automation. Which all seem like they may be beneficial. 

I am currently still planning my first tank. I am bouncing back and forth between a few different setups. I keep going back to my two favorites being the 32g Biocube or the Fluval Evo 13.5g.

For me the biocube 32 would be a “Display” tank. The idea of starting with a smaller tank like the Fluval is attractive. I could progress to a larger tank later and have the Fluval as a secondary. I have a cat who LOVES sticking her paws into water and splashing around.  So a full coverage secure lid is a must.

As far as other equipment that doesn’t come with most AIOs, I plan on going pretty cheap to start with and upgrading as I see fit. Keeping the cheap ones as back ups.

I am aware of the basics of the challenges that go along with keeping smaller tanks, and I am willing to take them on. For now anything larger than the 32g is out of the question. 

Starting out I would like to keep price and maintenance as low as possible. I have accepted that this is going to be an expensive and time consuming hobby. No reason not to be as efficient as possible.

Experience with saltwater: None, though I have kept a variety of different freshwater fish, amphibians, and reptiles in the past.

Most attractive thing about starting a saltwater aquarium: Keeping different types of corals healthy and thriving is what I am looking forward to the most.

Ideal Setup: 

AIO 

32g or smaller

Secure lid with full coverage(Very important)

Suitable environment for coral to thrive 

Filtration:

Bio media

Filter floss

Chemipure blue

Poly Filter pad 

I am leaning heavily towards the Fluval 13.5 at this time. I plan on having a couple fish, a good sized cleanup crew, and as many corals as I can, while keeping them all healthy. I realize the Fluval lights that come with the EVO aren’t great. I am looking into some options to help out with that. I may make a post about it in another section of the forum.

I am doing quite a bit of research so I don’t have any really specific questions at this time (Other than the one I posted under the water chemistry topic). I would really just like to make sure my head is in the right place with my build. Also, maybe hear about some personal experiences with these tanks you feel I need to know about. Also, if you feel I am overlooking anything let me know!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mrj7 said:

Hello, I am new to reefing. I just want to introduce myself and make sure my head is in the right place. I have been researching the hobby for a couple weeks now and I have learned a lot. However, I know there is a lot more to learn.

At my “day job” I am an Industrial Maintenance Technician. So I have a good amount of experience and knowledge in troubleshooting, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fluid power, and automation. Which all seem like they may be beneficial. 

I am currently still planning my first tank. I am bouncing back and forth between a few different setups. I keep going back to my two favorites being the 32g Biocube or the Fluval Evo 13.5g.

For me the biocube 32 would be a “Display” tank. The idea of starting with a smaller tank like the Fluval is attractive. I could progress to a larger tank later and have the Fluval as a secondary. I have a cat who LOVES sticking her paws into water and splashing around.  So a full coverage secure lid is a must.

As far as other equipment that doesn’t come with most AIOs, I plan on going pretty cheap to start with and upgrading as I see fit. Keeping the cheap ones as back ups.

I am aware of the basics of the challenges that go along with keeping smaller tanks, and I am willing to take them on. For now anything larger than the 32g is out of the question. 

Starting out I would like to keep price and maintenance as low as possible. I have accepted that this is going to be an expensive and time consuming hobby. No reason not to be as efficient as possible.

Experience with saltwater: None, though I have kept a variety of different freshwater fish, amphibians, and reptiles in the past.

Most attractive thing about starting a saltwater aquarium: Keeping different types of corals healthy and thriving is what I am looking forward to the most.

Ideal Setup: 

AIO 

32g or smaller

Secure lid with full coverage(Very important)

Suitable environment for coral to thrive 

Filtration:

Bio media

Filter floss

Chemipure blue

Poly Filter pad 

I am leaning heavily towards the Fluval 13.5 at this time. I plan on having a couple fish, a good sized cleanup crew, and as many corals as I can, while keeping them all healthy. I realize the Fluval lights that come with the EVO aren’t great. I am looking into some options to help out with that. I may make a post about it in another section of the forum.

I am doing quite a bit of research so I don’t have any really specific questions at this time (Other than the one I posted under the water chemistry topic). I would really just like to make sure my head is in the right place with my build. Also, maybe hear about some personal experiences with these tanks you feel I need to know about. Also, if you feel I am overlooking anything let me know!

:welcome: