inTank Media Baskets

wavemaker/powerhead arrangement for 32G biocube

42campaigns

Hello community,

I'm looking for some basic ideas for placement and flow of powerhead(s)/wavemaker(s) in a 32-gallon biocube. In particular, what considerations would lead someone to attach them in different places or with different flow? Why might you choose one or more (or none other than the return pump)? 

I'm sure there must be a thread or two in the archives somewhere with photos and explanations, but I can't seem to find them.

All help welcome!

some people put it opposite to the return pump. Others on the side. All depends on what look you prefer. The goal is to create random flow. The return pump alone is usually not enough for a reef tank and it provides laminar flow (flow all is the same direction). 

One "big thing" is to make sure you don't create any dead spots in the tank. Dead spots are spots where there is little to no flow. You're not trying to blast every inch with high flow, but to at least move the water around throughout the tank.

I wasnt happy with my flow a while back, 2 slw-20's and my return pump on my 42. I ended up having everything point towards more center of the tank of the glass. I also kept them up higher for surface agitation and increased the power to where I saw the bottom getting decent flow. I think the article called it a cross flow pattern. BRS 52 week guide was also helpful on the flow video.