SaltCritters.com

Hami’s Shrimps

Hami

Okay... I did something... new little cube...

B6A315D2-8B94-43C7-AB84-77CE15975894.thumb.png.251c7262d2b87fdc0992ee1da4c2479f.png

Information:

Tank: Aqueon Frameless 3g Cube

Lighting: AI Prime 16HD

Filtration: Aqua-Tech 5-15g HOB 

ATO: JBJ Nano ATO

Inhabitants:

6 rock flower anemones

1 blue leg hermit crab

1 sexy shrimp

1 female pom pom crab

11-28-2020

D097D81E-92F9-4D78-9D6C-49058D6BF07E.jpeg

12-20-2020

image.thumb.jpeg.f5a8c551f0d6f00e09875f3092ca3ec8.jpeg

2-7-2021
image.thumb.jpeg.32f5fbcfe8d27742390d78d373e786c0.jpeg

6-7- 2021

9AA301C4-CF75-4166-970F-E1386C8F8612.thumb.jpeg.7d6cdf7c4c0db595c8bf97c0c689eb53.jpeg

Sounds like it'll be really nice. Sexy shrimp are known to go after zoas, so you may want to avoid zoas for this tank. Or just buy a big colony of cheap ones and feed the shrimp well. 

• Haha 1
On 11/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Tired said:

Sounds like it'll be really nice. Sexy shrimp are known to go after zoas, so you may want to avoid zoas for this tank. Or just buy a big colony of cheap ones and feed the shrimp well. 

Yeah I heard something like that... I am definitely leaning towards RFA, but Premium Aquatics (my LFS) hasn’t been getting in livestock since Corona. I am kind of skeptical about ordering them online.

RFAs tolerate being shipped really well, online ordering should be fine. Wait until after the holiday season is over and it's warmed up a bit, though. SaltCritters sells a lot of cool WYSIWYG RFAs at good prices, but it's all tiny babies (an inch or so across), KP Aquatics has non-WYSIWYG adults sometimes, and there are a few other places that people like to order from. There are very rarely any major problems when something is being shipped by a reputable seller. You'd think anemones would fuss more about being mailed, but RFAs do just fine in 2-3 day mail, and will puff up and be happy pretty quickly. I've had a couple come in the mail halfway expanded in the bag! I guess not having a brain to be upset with has its advantages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Tired said:

RFAs tolerate being shipped really well, online ordering should be fine. Wait until after the holiday season is over and it's warmed up a bit, though. SaltCritters sells a lot of cool WYSIWYG RFAs at good prices, but it's all tiny babies (an inch or so across), KP Aquatics has non-WYSIWYG adults sometimes, and there are a few other places that people like to order from. There are very rarely any major problems when something is being shipped by a reputable seller. You'd think anemones would fuss more about being mailed, but RFAs do just fine in 2-3 day mail, and will puff up and be happy pretty quickly. I've had a couple come in the mail halfway expanded in the bag! I guess not having a brain to be upset with has its advantages.

Okay ... thanks for the info... one of the main reasons I don’t like shipping livestock is because I am still in school, so I won’t be there to acclimate them until after school (maybe practice too if it’s  season).

Ah, that makes sense. Do you have anyone at home who could bring the box in? If you've ordered corals, all the corals would need until after school is for someone to bring the box in out of the elements. A few more hours in the box wouldn't hurt them any. Or you could show someone how to acclimate. 

26 minutes ago, Tired said:

Ah, that makes sense. Do you have anyone at home who could bring the box in? If you've ordered corals, all the corals would need until after school is for someone to bring the box in out of the elements. A few more hours in the box wouldn't hurt them any. Or you could show someone how to acclimate. 

My family isn’t the best with aquariums let alone my saltwater one. I would have to plan it out so that my sister wouldn’t be at college when they deliver it.

Do you have a family member who you could ask to take the box inside, open it, and place the bags near the tank? That way they would get a little light, and that would tide them over just fine for most of the day. And I can't imagine the average person messing that up. 

You definitely shouldn't be ordering live things online until probably March, though. Now until January it's all clogged up with holiday shipping, January and February it's super cold. March can be workably cold depending on where you live. If you wanted to spend the extra money on overnight shipping, that could work, overnight pretty much always gets places on time, but priority 2-3 day (though it works just fine for under normal circumstances) isn't a very good bet for most of winter.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Tired said:

Do you have a family member who you could ask to take the box inside, open it, and place the bags near the tank? That way they would get a little light, and that would tide them over just fine for most of the day. And I can't imagine the average person messing that up. 

You definitely shouldn't be ordering live things online until probably March, though. Now until January it's all clogged up with holiday shipping, January and February it's super cold. March can be workably cold depending on where you live. If you wanted to spend the extra money on overnight shipping, that could work, overnight pretty much always gets places on time, but priority 2-3 day (though it works just fine for under normal circumstances) isn't a very good bet for most of winter.

My sister would be the best chance I have for someone to be home. Maybe my school will get shut down again in April or something! 

That's a lot of light for that tank! You should probably move it up away from the surface, and put it on pretty much the lowest settings you can get. It's a great light, from what I've seen of it, but you're going to have to be careful not to burn things. Probably overkill for RFAs, really, they like medium-lower light most of the time.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

That's a lot of light for that tank! You should probably move it up away from the surface, and put it on pretty much the lowest settings you can get. It's a great light, from what I've seen of it, but you're going to have to be careful not to burn things. Probably overkill for RFAs, really, they like medium-lower light most of the time.

I know it is a lot... Premium Aquatics was out of stands when I bought it, and right now it is max at like 20%........ I was thinking about getting these lights for my other tank, so I wanted them all to be the same

I'm pretty sure that's still too much, especially for newly introduced corals and at that height. You'll want to look at what levels people keep theirs at over small tanks, and make sure your RFAs have good, deep crevices they can hide in if it's too bright. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tired said:

I'm pretty sure that's still too much, especially for newly introduced corals and at that height. You'll want to look at what levels people keep theirs at over small tanks, and make sure your RFAs have good, deep crevices they can hide in if it's too bright. 

Okay... will do... more journal searching I go!!!!

• Like 1

Or it might be worth making a post in the lighting area asking about it, since that would get more attention than the question being buried somewhere in a journal thread. 

What are you planning on for rock? 

14 minutes ago, Tired said:

Or it might be worth making a post in the lighting area asking about it, since that would get more attention than the question being buried somewhere in a journal thread. 

What are you planning on for rock? 

I have a nice little rock in my 54g I was going to put in it. 

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, nice. They have some really nice rock flowers. By the size and variation, I'm guessing those are all captive-bred? Can't picture where else someone would get a bunch of juvenile-sized rock flower anemones with such variation. 

28 minutes ago, Tired said:

Ooh, nice. They have some really nice rock flowers. By the size and variation, I'm guessing those are all captive-bred? Can't picture where else someone would get a bunch of juvenile-sized rock flower anemones with such variation. 

I would guess that they are captive bred, since they normally get their colors once bigger.