inTank Media Baskets

It’s a mystery!

GendryDog9798

GendryDog9798

For about a week I noticed a zoa frag partially closed, but nothing else unusual. Yesterday I noticed this strange growth(?) on one side. I touched it and it seemed spongy, and I am not sure if I pushed it or or moved to the side. This morning it was back up where it was before and looked bigger than previously. I know the picture is not great but it’s near the back of the tank and only about 1/2 the size of my little finger nail, so this is the best I can get. (And actually better than I can see it with my own eyes) 

Any thoughts are appreciated. I’ve googled every hitchhiker ID I can think of and the only thing close was a baby rock flower and a baby torch. But not sure if either were a perfect match. Maybe wait to see if it gets bigger? 
Thanks in advance! 

5694E56E-9E6A-44AF-940B-64B87BDAB186.jpeg

On 11/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, GendryDog9798 said:

Maybe wait to see if it gets bigger? 

It's killing your zoa

Do you want to see what it is more than you want to keep the zoa?

If you do not, pop the plug off the rock

Take it out.  And cut it off with a scalpel.

GendryDog9798

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was gone yesterday but now appeared on top of the frag. I thought about the spider but doesn’t look like that up close, but also none of the tentacles/legs(?) move. I will see if I can remove it from the zoas. Thanks! 03365F75-2675-4894-A672-166F3EAFCA9A.thumb.jpeg.1b8a3444252498561278d32f16c4b581.jpeg5D31A081-D2E8-4B5B-BD1F-1DF4BC4EAE98.thumb.jpeg.9fb30d840f99936729ebec40bb8a09f9.jpeg

• Like 1

I have never seen a sea demon zoa spider as posted

The zoa spiders I have seen are tiny. They literally can hide inside a closed polyp

Zoa-eating-Spider.jpg

That thing posted, needs a priest, Constantine, and The Colonial Marines.

And Rick Grimes with a loaded Colt Python

Spoiler

Colonial Marines, because when I first saw that pic, and imagined it in my tank. I morphed into Bill Paxton.

"It's Game Over, Man. GAME OVER"

• Haha 1
GendryDog9798

Thanks! I pulled the frag and discovered it’s not a zoa spider at all. It’s TWO zoa spiders. I had no idea! Where in the heck did they come from?!? Should I worry about more? The husband gets 3 feather dusters, peanut worm and sea squirts hitchhiking in his tank. I get these jerks! These tanks never fail to amaze me. Hah! 

9E7D8942-AED7-4DE5-9926-567B046CBD89.jpeg

• Wow 3