Cultivated Reef

As of 2020 how old is your oldest fish?

Zionas

Curious. For all of you, what’s your oldest fish as of 2020? Would appreciate it if you could give the following:

1. What type of fish is it?

2. How long have you had it for?

3. How big was it when you bought it?

4. Is it still alive?

5. Where did you buy it?

6. What is your tank size and its tank mates?

Would love to hear from you guys!

Could also be an invert or even coral!

1. Leopard eel (FW). Also known as a Blackspot eel (Mastacembelus dayi). His name is Spot. He's roughly ~14".

2. ~5.5+ years.

3. <10".

4. Yes. 

5. My LFS. 

6. A standard 4' ft long which is roughly ~70G. Currently housed with 2x severum cichlids, 1x leopard-hybrid catfish, 3x torpedo barbs, 2x filamented barbs, 2x tiretrack eels & 1x juvi. emperor snakehead (Channa maruloides). 

My eel's spine is kinked from old age & he has two tumors, but he's still going strong. Easily one of the most aggressive & dominant fish I've kept/am keeping. 👍

• Like 3

Clownfish(3)

5 - 5.5 yrs old

About an inch in size now 2-3"

All 3 still living

Various lfs

1 originally in a 10g now in a 20g

Pair started in 15g, moved to lagoon, now in their own 10g because they were getting very aggressive.

• Like 2

No longer my fish as of last month. Had to give it away.

1. Yellow Clown Goby

2. Almost 3 years (second fish to go in after starting my first tank)

3. <1" and is now >1" haha 😂

4. Yes, with a new owner.

5. Big Al's

6. Was originally in a 35 cube. Last was a fluval evo 13.5G. With a bicolor blenny and a clownfish.

That's for fish. The oldest invert I have is a scarlet hermit. Bought it on day 1 (after the cycle). So is at least 3+ years old. 

• Like 2
Clownfish king

Well I just got into the saltwater hobby where my oldest fish is six months I have a 20 gallon freshwater with a Cory catfish from when I was six living in it.

it’s a panda Cory catfish. 

I have had it for 7 years now

it was half an inch when I got it now it’s four inches long one inch wide

he is still alive but he is reaching the end of his life span

i bought it from pets mart 

well it originally lived in a normal rectangle 10 gallon now it lives in a hexagon 20 gallon. With 3 other Cory catfish (all pandas) a dwarf gourami and 1 loach to deal with snails 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
UpsideDownPumpkin

Freshwater (cold) (childhood - 90s) - ~15 years old 

1. What type of fish is it? Goldfish (Comet)

2. How long have you had it for? ~5 years (it went on to live another decade or so in a neighbours pond)

3. How big was it when you bought it? 2 inches (adopted not bought) 

4. Is it still alive? Sadly not. 

5. Where did you buy it? My brothers girlfriend gave it to me, it was too big for her tank. 

6. What is your tank size and its tank mates? It went through the usual tank hopping to try and keep up with its size. Last tank was about 40-50g before I rehomed him. Started with 3 goldfish and ended up with just him.

freshwater (tropical) - ~2016-2020 - 4 years old 

1. What type of fish is it? Golden Gourami 

2. How long have you had it for? 4 years

3. How big was it when you bought it? An inch or so. Baby. 

4. Is it still alive? Sadly not, passed a month ago.

5. Where did you buy it? Pets at Home (UK version of petco I guess)

6. What is your tank size and its tank mates? Started out in a 70g community with 3 other three spot gourami, various fish over the years. Retired her to a 30g when she stopped being active and just chilled in her boat, with some Cory cats that I still have. 

Saltwater; 2020 - unknown age

1. What type of fish is it? Clownfish (black ice, female) 

2. How long have you had it for? About 3 weeks

3. How big was it when you bought it? 3 inches

4. Is it still alive? Yep

5. Where did you buy it? Maidenhead Aquatics (also like a UK version of Petco)

6. What is your tank size and its tank mates? 30g and she has a male black ice clown and a Midas Blenny currently. Still stocking.

(I should say I assume she is the oldest marine fish I have because it’s impossible to really tell - but she’s bigger than my other tanks female clown, my Sixline in my other tank was tiny when I got it, and I really don’t know for the blennies - technically I’ve had the other set of clowns longer but she strikes me as older. She’s a big gal.)

Ocellaris clownfish pair:

• Had them for 15+ years (still living, and breeding)
  • They were purchased as juveniles from Live Aquaria (she is now a big gal)
  • They've lived in numerous tanks with various tank mates, but currently reside in a 100 gallon tank with a Banggai cardinalfish

Rock Flower anemone:

• It was my first anemone, purchased 15+ years ago (sill living, and breeding)
  • It was purchased from Reeftopia (and hasn't changed dramatically in size)
  • Like the clowns, I've transferred it to a number of tanks, but it's currently in a 40 breeder (with dozens, maybe hundreds, of baby RFAs)
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
tdannhauser30

Pair of clowns. Dont have exact sure but had them since the beginning so almost 8 yrs. Outlasted the blenny and 6 line.. tank is old 28 gal nano. Damn seabass I thought mine were ol timers lol

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1) Folly is my Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish 

2) Approx. 5 yrs

3) 1 inch

4) Yes, and bitting me when ever she gets the chance.

5) LFS

6) she was in my 25G but now in my 50G

7) Current other fish are: Yellow watchman Goby, Yellow Neon Goby, Lawnmower Blenny, Tanaka Possum Wrasse, McCoskers Wrasse (maybe or could be Long fin Fairy Wrasse it is in transition so hard to tell), and a Blue/Green Chromis.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, tdannhauser30 said:

Pair of clowns. Dont have exact sure but had them since the beginning so almost 8 yrs. Outlasted the blenny and 6 line.. tank is old 28 gal nano. Damn seabass I thought mine were ol timers lol

Ahh nice lol. How long did the Blenny and 6-Line live and what did they die from? We’re they big when you got them? (What kind of Blenny?)

tdannhauser30
37 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Ahh nice lol. How long did the Blenny and 6-Line live and what did they die from? We’re they big when you got them? (What kind of Blenny?)

Years and Years, blenny made it to 5 or 6, and then i just lost the wrasse a few months ago.. I think to an evil starfish. No real known cause of death for either. Wrasses body never recovered lol

BearTheSquare

1. Royal Gramma

2. 12 years

3. 3/4 inch

4. Yes, but it’s lived in my parents tank since I moved to college 4.5 years ago

5. LFS

6. Originally a 29 gallon biocube with a percula clownfish, now both fish live in my parents 75 gallon FOWLR

It was actually the first saltwater fish I owned when I was a kid and got my dad back into the hobby. Pretty cool to see a fish that’s more than half my age whenever I travel home for holidays/visits.

• Wow 1
16 minutes ago, BearTheSquare said:

1. Royal Gramma

2. 12 years

3. 3/4 inch

4. Yes, but it’s lived in my parents tank since I moved to college 4.5 years ago

5. LFS

6. Originally a 29 gallon biocube with a percula clownfish, now both fish live in my parents 75 gallon FOWLR

It was actually the first saltwater fish I owned when I was a kid and got my dad back into the hobby. Pretty cool to see a fish that’s more than half my age whenever I travel home for holidays/visits.

A 12-year old Gramma. Nice!