Cultivated Reef

Sch. 40 Pipe w/ Sch. 80 Unions

I'm Batman

Working on a custom frag system -  48x24x12 60 gallons. Tank has a 1” drain and 3/4“ return that’l need to be plumbed to the sump. 

Question is: since the schedule 40 pipe has the best deal right now, can I use schedule 40 pipe with schedule 80 unions. Obviously the OD is the same - also want to know what the consensus is on people using 40 vs 80 and mix and matching. 

You can mix and match - they are totally un-pressurised, so schedule 80 has absolutely no benefit on a reef except for the beefier unions and valves since they tend to get used far more than most other plumbing applications. Spears valves are worth it. Everything else you are just paying 4x the price because it looks cool and it's slightly less forgiving when doing your fitting.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jservedio said:

Everything else you are just paying 4x the price

Yeah I couldn’t remember how you spelled your handle! Tag you in the Ahhhh thread

5 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Obviously the OD is the same - also want to know what the consensus is on people using 40 vs 80 and mix and matching. 

Nothing wrong with it....they are compatible.  As Charlotte Pipe says...

PVC Schedule 80 Pipe is for pressure applications and has a thicker wall than Schedule 40 pipe. It is highly durable, easy to install and has better sound deadening qualities than PVC and ABS Foam Core pipes. Installation requires the use of primer and solvent cement.

(From: https://www.charlottepipe.com/pl_pvc_sch80.aspx)

Here's what they say about Sch40 just for comparison:

PVC Schedule 40 is highly durable, with high tensile and impact strength. It is easy to install and has better sound deadening qualities than PVC Schedule 40 DWV Foam Core. Installation requires the use of primer and solvent cement. For pressure applications, sharply angled pressure fittings must be used.

There's no really good reason to use sch80 for most aquarium installs – schedule 40 is actually way more than adequate.  (Schedule 30 would even work great, but it's not very common.)

The only exception I've made to use sch80 personally is back when I built the plumbing for my old Oceanic Plus Series Model 6 skimmer which has 3/8" threaded fittings....a very oddball size, some fittings were only available in sch80.  Made for an EXPENSIVE pump hookup (cost as much as/more than the pump)...thankfully it's a solid skimmer AND a true classic (actually patented in 1993), so I was willing to pay a little extra to get it running.  (Eheim pump too, so it was an expensive refurb. overall.) 

Tip:  Simplify your plumbing as much as possible.  Eliminate valves and fittings wherever possible.

• Like 1