Chowder's Reef

RDA's 1.2 Pico

Chowder's Reef
1 hour ago, JohnTheReefer said:

How are you liking the Autoaqua lite ATO? Has it been reliable?

I really like them! I've had two of them for just about a year now and have had zero problems. Money well spent imo.

I got mine off of ebay, but you can get them off of aliexpress for around $50.

• Like 2

alfredt

1.2g Birdseye view.

27AC1B24-79E9-42D3-B732-B0FC9D55A9AA.jpeg

• Like 3

Chowder's Reef

New little friend 😁

PSX_20210311_214651.thumb.jpg.694213318cae50022f088be560b5a170.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 4

JR!

sick.

You think the Jebao DC650 will fit in the 4.1?

Chowder's Reef
4 minutes ago, JR! said:

sick.

You think the Jebao DC650 will fit in the 4.1?

Haha thanks. 

I tried. (The return pump chamber is the same dimensions as the one in this tank). There isn't a really good way to fit it. Also even at the lowest setting it really rips in the 4.1 and kind of overwelms the overflow a bit.

• Like 1

debbeach13
7 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

New little friend 😁

PSX_20210311_214651.thumb.jpg.694213318cae50022f088be560b5a170.jpg

What is that? It looks like a tiny eel. I love the colors.

• Like 2

Chowder's Reef
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

What is that? It looks like a tiny eel. I love the colors.

It's a teeny weeny Snowflake Eel 👶

My LFS had them in at around ~3". Since my Golden Tail Moray passed a while back, I couldn't overlook the chance to get another eel, especially this small 😁

• Wow 2

Daniel92481

Awesome eel! Is that your 4.1 or new 1.2? Looking good my man! 

• Like 2

Chowder's Reef
1 hour ago, Daniel92481 said:

Awesome eel! Is that your 4.1 or new 1.2? Looking good my man! 

He is a pretty active little guy haha!

This is in my 1.2.

My 4.1 has been taken down.

• Like 2

Chowder's Reef

Also before someone sends me a nasty message this is a very temporary thing. It'll be moved to an appropriate sized tank when it is eating and has been quarantined. I needed to keep a closer eye on it to make sure it's doing well before it gets lost in my larger display 😊

• Like 4

Chowder's Reef

Figured I'd give an update on this tank since it's been a while. We are currently overhauling our living room, which has been fun, but a lot of work. As consequence, all but this here pico reef has been cut from the team (previous projects, tanks, etc. Goodness even my planted tank was sold off).

Ironically even with only one tiny reef left it hasn't seen much love. I'm coming up on 2 months without doing as much as glancing at it I've been so busy (really trying to get this renovation thing done asap). I guess it doesn't help that my ato container is more than 2x the size of this tank which has enabled me to forget about it for so long. Notwithstanding some hair algae and an apparent aptasia outbreak, I'd say things are going pretty well. Funny enough my LPS corals are doing great and all of the zoas look pretty poor. (Probably something to do with the aptasia and hair algae growing through their space) my tiny snowflake eel has been moved to a larger home and the only residence now are some small cerith snails so pretty quiet in all. I have some aptasia x on the way so hopefully our little friends will go away.

In the spare time that I do have, I've been thinking about adding some macro algae to help scrub the water. Also, a blueberry gorgonian really caught my eye as a centerpiece for this tank, but if I ever get my hands on one that will come when I actually have time to keep up with maintenance and such. 

In all, things aren't too bad. Tonight smells like a water change though and then I'll be set for another 2 months, see you all then😜

PSX_20210507_152401.thumb.jpg.1af8af934944b66c18734140edda3b44.jpg

• Like 4

Daniel92481

Your tank is awesome! That gorgonian will be a nice contrast to your green corals.😁 

• Like 1

debbeach13

Tank looks super. Good luck with the rest of the renovations.

• Like 1

Chowder's Reef
On 5/7/2021 at 5:52 PM, Daniel92481 said:

Your tank is awesome! That gorgonian will be a nice contrast to your green corals.😁 

Hey thank you!

I think so too. The right side of my tank is green heavy and the left has too many reds/oranges haha so I'll eventually move some things around and try to get a better balance of colors (which I think a neat blue gorgonian will help with that 😅👌).

• Like 1

Chowder's Reef
On 5/8/2021 at 5:10 AM, debbeach13 said:

Tank looks super. Good luck with the rest of the renovations.

Thanks Deb 😊 lots of things indeed to finish up. It'll get there one day.....maybe haha.

Frozen_Reef
On 5/7/2021 at 5:26 PM, Chowder's Reef said:

Figured I'd give an update on this tank since it's been a while. We are currently overhauling our living room, which has been fun, but a lot of work. As consequence, all but this here pico reef has been cut from the team (previous projects, tanks, etc. Goodness even my planted tank was sold off).

Ironically even with only one tiny reef left it hasn't seen much love. I'm coming up on 2 months without doing as much as glancing at it I've been so busy (really trying to get this renovation thing done asap). I guess it doesn't help that my ato container is more than 2x the size of this tank which has enabled me to forget about it for so long. Notwithstanding some hair algae and an apparent aptasia outbreak, I'd say things are going pretty well. Funny enough my LPS corals are doing great and all of the zoas look pretty poor. (Probably something to do with the aptasia and hair algae growing through their space) my tiny snowflake eel has been moved to a larger home and the only residence now are some small cerith snails so pretty quiet in all. I have some aptasia x on the way so hopefully our little friends will go away.

In the spare time that I do have, I've been thinking about adding some macro algae to help scrub the water. Also, a blueberry gorgonian really caught my eye as a centerpiece for this tank, but if I ever get my hands on one that will come when I actually have time to keep up with maintenance and such. 

In all, things aren't too bad. Tonight smells like a water change though and then I'll be set for another 2 months, see you all then😜

PSX_20210507_152401.thumb.jpg.1af8af934944b66c18734140edda3b44.jpg

DUUUUUDE I SHOULD NOT HAVE READ THIS...I want to get one of these (although probably the 2.6 size). I have an ONF Nano+ LED that I plan on using as it is 9000K if I remember right. Stocking wise I was thinking maybe like just some sofites and a clown goby? Who knows, but I want a reef on my dorm desk to contrast my 2 freshwater tanks

• Like 1

Chowder's Reef

They are neat little tanks for sure! The return nozzle, however, leaves much to be desired IMO. A softy dominated pico would be fun 😄

• Like 1

Frozen_Reef
21 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

They are neat little tanks for sure! The return nozzle, however, leaves much to be desired IMO. A softy dominated pico would be fun 😄

I was thinking a softies or a mini maxi tank with sexy shrimp 

• Like 1

Chowder's Reef

Thursday is close enough.

Here's a FTS for your enjoyment 🐒

PSX_20210513_160646.thumb.jpg.ec2dddea4f9292f362f87b90d01ef3ed.jpg

PSX_20210513_162500.thumb.jpg.a532d2453297cde5f3e8ff64d8ed3503.jpg

• Like 4

Daniel92481
3 minutes ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Thursday is close enough.

Here's a FTS for your enjoyment 🐒

PSX_20210513_160646.thumb.jpg.ec2dddea4f9292f362f87b90d01ef3ed.jpg

PSX_20210513_162500.thumb.jpg.a532d2453297cde5f3e8ff64d8ed3503.jpg

Looking good man! Cool setup with the cactus.😎

• Thanks 1

Chowder's Reef

We made it to Friday 😰

The Alveopora has definitely claimed it's space lol. I had to move the Acan out of the way because it was being irritated.

Here's a video for your enjoyment.

Make it a great weekend and happy reefing 😎

• Like 3