inTank Media Baskets

The Rainy Day Aquarium

The Rainy Day Aquarium

I have a confession; another pico reef is on it's way. 😅

Life has been absolutely nuts for me right now, some would call it "chaotic"😉. Even still, ever since I tore down my 365 dropoff tank I've been on the hunt for a small replacement. To scratch that itch 😅. I've been eyeing Lifegard Aquatics' new "Elevated" series aquariums since they were announced earlier this year, and the smallest of the bunch really peaked my interest. (What can I say? I'm a sucker for small AIOs). With Marine Depot having their Black Friday sale and spending weeks trying to ignore a painfully empty corner on my desk in my office at home, I finally said to myself, "it's time." 

EQUIPMENT:

Tank: Lifegard Elevated 1.2 gallon AIO

Return Pump: Quiet One 200 (stock pump)

Power Head: Micro USB fountain pump

Heater: Topfin 20w preset 

Lighting: 2x Luminie Asta 20

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite

LIVESTOCK:

Coral:

• Misc. Blue Tipped Acropora
  • Purple Pocillopora
  • Superman Digi
  • Purple tip hammer (probably a "frammer")
  • Gold Hammer
  • Orange Rainbow Acan
  • Watermelon Acan
  • Yellow Brick Road Zoas
  • Lilo and Stitch Zoas
  • Scrambled Egg Zoas
  • "Japanese Deepwater Zoas" 
  • Solar Flare Zoas
  • GSP
  • Magician Palys
  • Madarin Polyps

Fish:

• Baby Wyoming White Clown Fish
  • Hector's Goby

Inverts:

• Red/Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
  • Cerith Snails
  • Stomatella
  • Freaking Acropora Eating Spiders. 
  • Probably some Aptasia somewhere

FTS 08/16/2021

PSX_20210816_190405.thumb.jpg.7337859ad9cdafc53a6725d39ceaae19.jpg

I've had a bit of time to think about how I'm going to go about piecing all of this together during a small trip my wife and I took up to Oregon recently (beautiful drive) to pick up our new furry friend, but I'm still on the fence about some things. I have several ideas in mind, but I think either way I'll be leaving the bottom bare to take advantage of the lifted glass bottom of this tank. I'm also scheming a new return nozzle layout given the peculiar design of this system. I was thinking about just getting an RFG nozzle, but heck I have a 3D printer; I've been wanting to try some return nozzle designs of my own so this will probably become a testbed for that. I've also ordered a dc650 return pump from Reefbreeders as I want more flow and more control; SPS coral is a curiosity for this tank. Although we'll have to see if the overflow can take it (hopefully a design flaw from the other crystal series aquariums that was corrected). I'll keep you all posted on how it comes together in the coming weeks. In the meantime, enjoy this picture of Apollo, our new Alaskan Klee Kai 😁

PSX_20201116_115159.thumb.jpg.3571c87f6fc4ec007873070f3fbae733.jpg

• Like 8
The Rainy Day Aquarium
7 hours ago, PicoSavvy said:

I was given one 2 weeks ago by a family member who is into the freshwater side of things and knows that I like small pico. It will be going on my nightstand.

Nice! Haha let the 1.2 club begin!

7 hours ago, PicoSavvy said:

I was given one 2 weeks ago by a family member

Wow that’s awesome!! My family knows I’m a reefer they just say “woa cool tank. So those coral things are alive?”

I looked these up on Marine Depot after RDA’s post. Interesting concept. The floating look is interesting. 

• Like 1

I am down for a 1.2 club lol.:haha: I was considering putting some RGB lights on the bottom of it, I don't know why but I think it would look neat. Compare to my other hobbies reefing takes up the least amount of space so I am guessing that is why the family is supportive of it.

• Like 3
The Rainy Day Aquarium

@PicoSavvy Haha. It's going to be a pretty exclusive club seeing that there are only two of us.....for now 😈😆

I actually had that same thought lol. I think being on your nightstand it would look kind of neat with an underglow.

I just got one of these too! I haven't set it up yet because I can't figure out what light to try. I'm also leaning towards the Asta 20, but I'm not 100% set on that. Right now I'm wondering if the light from a Mini Complete tank will grow anything.

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
3 hours ago, DPRoberts said:

I just got one of these too! I haven't set it up yet because I can't figure out what light to try. I'm also leaning towards the Asta 20, but I'm not 100% set on that. Right now I'm wondering if the light from a Mini Complete tank will grow anything.

Nice! I think the Mini Complete tank light will grow softies just fine! I like the Asta 20 as it isn't TOO bulky on a small tank such as this one, is a pretty punchy light for the price, and it has a decent shimmer to it.

The Rainy Day Aquarium
8 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Very nice!! Looks like you hung a picture too!

Thank you!

Haha yeah I got that painting a while ago, it reminds me of the pier next to where I once lived in a small town called Gela in Sicilia. I just got around to hanging pictures in our new home. Took me long enough 😅

• Haha 1

Now that tank looks NEAT! I definitely must set up a 1,2 pico sometime, those tanks are just adorable... And so cheap to do a 90% WC weekly 🤪

I´m following this thread! 👍

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
On 11/30/2020 at 12:34 AM, sr2z said:

Now that tank looks NEAT! I definitely must set up a 1,2 pico sometime, those tanks are just adorable... And so cheap to do a 90% WC weekly 🤪

I´m following this thread! 👍

It is a cute little tank for sure! Water changes are going to be pretty great as well 😉

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium
16 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

Super cool! Glad you're back in the little tank business haha 🙂

What are you thinking for stock?

Thank you! Haha me too! 

I am thinking mixed reef. But as to what is still tricky because I need to take more seriously into account growth habits of corals. I think a pair of griessingeri gobies would be really fun in a tank like this too😁 but other than that not much lol.

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Okay just a super quick update.

Got all of my equipment together and ready to go. I'm just waiting on 3D printed parts. aka Autodesk is being VERY particular about how I design things😒

Hopefully I'll have a proper update with details, photos and such here next week! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1