SaltCritters.com

Custom Builds now at Micro-Reefs Aquariums!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

In celebrating 16 years on nano-reef this month, I made the decision to listen to all my supporting reefers where I started as a hobbyist, to venture into offering larger custom build aquariums.

We are now able to rip down 4x8 ft sheets!  Help support us, send us a dream build L X W x H for a quote!

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

20201124_181754.jpg

20201124_182306.jpg

20201124_185616.jpg

20201124_181748.jpg

20201124_182614.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, r20crazy said:

can I please buy your garage? 😍  how much shipped to CA?  🤪  

fyi your banner doesn't seem to be click-able...

😆 lol my shop is for sale if you include me into the shipment back to California.  The banner should click you to my site.....

• Haha 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here is a sample of what we made with our new Festool 55 TS saw.... 12 gallon AIO system in matching white or black acrylic 31 inch stand...

20201128_205400.jpg

20201128_205403_HDR.jpg

20201128_205550.jpg

20201128_205602.jpg

20201128_205652.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
44 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Awesome new shop upgrade, these bigger tanks are looking good!

Thanks Chris,

I am yet to fire up the CNC machine since my Ohio trip was cancelled because of Covid19.  So, I decided to spend a hefty of amount of money on bringing in another tool, which is the track saw as you see.  This allows me to cut sheets that arrive at my shop from 4 x 8 feet to whatever I like via a reefers request.  Chris, once I get the CNC training completed, I believe the Ohio Governor might open the state back to us in Feb 2021, I will be able to offer some really nice nano cubes with eurobraces at affordable prices.  That has been my project to do, thin acrylic with a very thick Eurobrace top!  

Let the games begin... 🙂

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
5 hours ago, r20crazy said:

😘   nice house... to many doors....  

You are too funny...  You are suppose to comment on my aquarium, not my 🏠 house unless you are saying that my awesome aquarium makes my house look even more awesome... 😁😊😀

• Haha 2

ok...

The white stand matches the trim on your house with to many doors and the frilly table cover perfectly!!  I like how the tank gets more of my attention than the bird painting just above it.

In all seriousness looks great sir, and another bump for your thread. 👍  have you weight tested the stand?  

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
7 hours ago, r20crazy said:

ok...

The white stand matches the trim on your house with to many doors and the frilly table cover perfectly!!  I like how the tank gets more of my attention than the bird painting just above it.

In all seriousness looks great sir, and another bump for your thread. 👍  have you weight tested the stand?  

So, glad that you distinguished the tanks from the door trim, priceless... LOL  

Your next question, have you weight tested the acrylic stands?  Very complicated to answer but let me try.  The only experience I have is with my past as a hobbyist prior to opening my business in 2012.  I purchased several aquariums with stands a 30 inch and 40 inch from TruVu which were tested on tanks designed by me.  I also had a 25 gallon made by TruVu for their Micro-System at that time back in 2009.  

My stands that you see follow the layout made by them and tested by them, but with some added features that they did not use.

I am using 1/4 inch cast material that wraps around with curved corners, they are not glued in the front, all one piece of acrylic.  In2 the back I have supports all 1/4 inch cast acrylic with several 1/2 cast acrylic bars three in total that support the top of the stand where the tank sits, followed by one 1/2 brace on the bottom.

I weigh 205 lbs. and have sat on the stands just to do quick checks, very sturdy!

Using Volume calculators from google, the tank is L x W x H = 12.5 x 14 x 16 / 231 = 12.1 gallons water then take into account the weight of the tank which is 13 lbs. using 1/4 inch all around including eurobrace.  Another calculator does total volume of water plus weight of tank which is = full weight with salt water around 105 lbs. 

Now add 24 lbs. of live rock and 20 lbs. of live sand and you can get this tank to about 150 lbs. without the light fixture pump and media basket.  Let us go up to 185 lbs. with everything.  

I haven't found a calculator to determine the strength of using acrylic stands to support massive weight, only wooden stands for really huge aquariums.

I can tell you that the stands that were built for me from TruVu were tested by me for years before I sold them as a set to another reefer at a tradeshow that I went to.  They are strong and never failed and my stands follow the blueprints roughly from them, plus the add on that I spoke about.

If you have any calculators from acrylic stands please send it my way so I can bench mark my stands.  Having said that I will test the two you see here on my thread to the full test of the weight plus sand etc full blown to the max before they are launched. 

Thanks,

MG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Mike,

When are you going to place prices on the current micro tanks, cold tanks, refrugiums, etc. etc. on your site? I would like to purchase a tank, but need to know how much I'm going to spend so I can ask the boss lady. 😁😊 Let me know. 

Thanks, 

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
6 hours ago, Reef_Keefer said:

Hello Mike,

When are you going to place prices on the current micro tanks, cold tanks, refrugiums, etc. etc. on your site? I would like to purchase a tank, but need to know how much I'm going to spend so I can ask the boss lady. 😁😊 Let me know. 

Thanks, 

I am trying really hard to bring my site live in January 2021.  I reopened my business here in Florida last year but refrained from going live to selling because I am not trained yet on the CNC machine I invested in.  I was suppose to fly out to Ohio last month, but the Governor shut down the state for Covid19 so everything was canceled until Feb 2021.

I don't want to wait that long before going live, I can still do limited aquariums using my old methods; table router and jigs, very slow but that is how I did all my aquariums in the past.

I am going to bring back only 4 tanks in January, 2 tropical and 2 temperate.  

I will announce that during X-mas break.

Thanks,

MG

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, Reefer-begginer said:

I am curious, how much do you charge for building stands? I have a 14g peninsula I need a stand built for 

Can you give me the exact dimensions, L x W x H, I do all stands in 1/4 quarter inch cast acrylic and then I brace the insides with several 1/2 cast acrylic cross bars.  It supports the top and bottom.  Then I do the top and bottom platforms in 3/8 cast acrylic for structural support.  That can be clear or matching stand color your choice.

Give me first the dimensions and I will quote you, they are beautiful in my opinion and in a league of their own over wooden stands.

p.s

Which manufacturer is this tank made from?  I can make a carbon copy of their stand in acrylic for you.

Thanks,

Mike Guerrero

On 11/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Here is a sample of what we made with our new Festool 55 TS saw.... 12 gallon AIO system in matching white or black acrylic 31 inch stand...

20201128_205400.jpg

20201128_205403_HDR.jpg

20201128_205550.jpg

20201128_205602.jpg

20201128_205652.jpg

Beautiful work

Art

• Like 1
Reefer-begginer
On 12/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Can you give me the exact dimensions, L x W x H, I do all stands in 1/4 quarter inch cast acrylic and then I brace the insides with several 1/2 cast acrylic cross bars.  It supports the top and bottom.  Then I do the top and bottom platforms in 3/8 cast acrylic for structural support.  That can be clear or matching stand color your choice.

Give me first the dimensions and I will quote you, they are beautiful in my opinion and in a league of their own over wooden stands.

p.s

Which manufacturer is this tank made from?  I can make a carbon copy of their stand in acrylic for you.

Thanks,

Mike Guerrero

The tank is from innovative marine its their 14g peninsula tank

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Pearl Black or Glacier White with removable 3 stage filter which one fits into your home?  Comes with AI prime in black or white with Eheim return pump and loctite diffuser...

20201206_153756~2.jpg

20201206_153839~2.jpg

20201206_151331~2.jpg

20201206_151341~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
7 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Absolutely amazing!!! Tanks look fantastic as always!

Thanks Batman!  I am about to place my order into Marine Depot for Eheim pumps, AI prime white and black LED fixttures a loctite diffuser.  I even made the entire media basket out of 1/4 cast acrylic, cut no corners on this build, I want to make it one of my flagship systems.  

Just didn't know if I wanted to order alongside the black AI prime fixtures, white ones to match the bottom white stand.  

I feel the white AI prime LED fixture really stands out and complements the acrylic white stand.  What do you think?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I feel the white AI prime LED fixture really stands out and complements the acrylic white stand.  What do you think?

Totally agree! Coordination is a plus! I’m also a proud AI Prime HD owner, so the quality and theme go together very well on your build!

• Like 1

Mike, I love the look of your stands! I'd love to have you build a stand for a new aquarium I'm planning, but it's a "full size" aquarium and shipping alone would make the cost prohibitive. 

So, I have another thought. If I built a DIY wooden stand, could you do an acrylic "skin" for it? That way, you wouldn't even need to use 1/4" acrylic or support the bulk of the aquarium, which would cut down on weight for materials and shipping. I'd benefit from your awesome work, & this idea might help a lot of people with crappy looking stands. If you think this might work I would be willing to hear more, I can send you a PM with my design ideas.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, DPRoberts said:

Mike, I love the look of your stands! I'd love to have you build a stand for a new aquarium I'm planning, but it's a "full size" aquarium and shipping alone would make the cost prohibitive. 

So, I have another thought. If I built a DIY wooden stand, could you do an acrylic "skin" for it? That way, you wouldn't even need to use 1/4" acrylic or support the bulk of the aquarium, which would cut down on weight for materials and shipping. I'd benefit from your awesome work, & this idea might help a lot of people with crappy looking stands. If you think this might work I would be willing to hear more, I can send you a PM with my design ideas.

The stands you see here are 1/4 inch cast acrylic and reinforced on the top with 1/2 inch cast acrylic bars for extra support.  There is no online calculator that tells the strength of acrylic for building stands, I had to go with what TruVu aquariums did when they designed mine back in the day.  I already tested the ones you see against 200 lbs and it passed easily but I want to make future ones like what you are asking for with skirts to cover the wooden frames from inside, I plan on specializing on doing that, I promise you that is what I want to offer.

That way we can support larger system such as a 120 gallon aquarium with acrylic skirts over the wooden frame, it will look sensational! 

What you are asking for will look really nice and I will be more than happy to support that build!

• Like 1
  • Recommended Discussions