Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico All-In-Ones?

DGibster

Any recommendations for a Pico AIO tank?

I'm looking to set up my first reef tank and yes I am aware that Picos require more attention than larger tanks (it's going to go on my nightstand, right next to where I sleep so it so trust me when I say that it will get all of the attention), more frequent water changes, etc. I have done my basic research so I am aware of what I am getting into. While I would love a larger tank and have seriously considered a 20 gallon AIO, after much weighing of options the unfortunate fact of the matter is that money is tight and the low startup cost of a pico reef is hard to pass up on. In the end, I mainly want to grow coral, mainly zoanthids, and a pico reef enables me to do that without a massive money investment (though one which I was totally considering). At some point, when money is a bit more plentiful, I probably will upgrade to a 20+ gallon tank, but for now a pico reef will more than suffice. Besides, if I can get the pico life down, then larger tanks should be a breeze 😛

At the moment I am eyeing this 4.1 gallon tank :https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/4-14-gallon-low-iron-all-in-one-back-filter-style-lifegard/#product-reviews, though it is a tad bulky, I was hoping for something closer to 3 or 2.5 gallons. I'm also thinking about a 3 gallon rimless Aqueon cube from Petco, though I would have to find a HOB filter that fits (I wonder if a sponge filter would work in a saltwater tank). Bonus points if the tank has a glass lid to reduce evaporation. 

For lights, it seems like this one: https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reefbreeders-pico-led-10watt/ is a good go to, its probably better than the light I have on my freshwater tank (I wonder what a light designed to grow coral would do to a freshwater tank). 

30 minutes ago, DGibster said:

Any recommendations for a Pico AIO tank?

I'm looking to set up my first reef tank and yes I am aware that Picos require more attention than larger tanks (it's going to go on my nightstand, right next to where I sleep so it so trust me when I say that it will get all of the attention), more frequent water changes, etc. I have done my basic research so I am aware of what I am getting into. While I would love a larger tank and have seriously considered a 20 gallon AIO, after much weighing of options the unfortunate fact of the matter is that money is tight and the low startup cost of a pico reef is hard to pass up on. In the end, I mainly want to grow coral, mainly zoanthids, and a pico reef enables me to do that without a massive money investment (though one which I was totally considering). At some point, when money is a bit more plentiful, I probably will upgrade to a 20+ gallon tank, but for now a pico reef will more than suffice. Besides, if I can get the pico life down, then larger tanks should be a breeze 😛

At the moment I am eyeing this 4.1 gallon tank :https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/4-14-gallon-low-iron-all-in-one-back-filter-style-lifegard/#product-reviews, though it is a tad bulky, I was hoping for something closer to 3 or 2.5 gallons. I'm also thinking about a 3 gallon rimless Aqueon cube from Petco, though I would have to find a HOB filter that fits (I wonder if a sponge filter would work in a saltwater tank). Bonus points if the tank has a glass lid to reduce evaporation. 

For lights, it seems like this one: https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/reefbreeders-pico-led-10watt/ is a good go to, its probably better than the light I have on my freshwater tank (I wonder what a light designed to grow coral would do to a freshwater tank). 

What is your budget? 

I don't find pico's to be any more difficult. They just need water changes and good to go.

Marineland makes a 3g and 5g AIO that comes with a pump and a glass lid. They are about 50-60 bucks. I am using this one: https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90609-Portrait-Aquarium-5-Gallon/dp/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=pd_lpo_199_t_0/146-8191062-6405741?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O8SZTKQ&pd_rd_r=2af26776-54f2-4949-a8d1-05a6d70d6441&pd_rd_w=Tu00i&pd_rd_wg=cEHb7&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=ST5XCFF6C45JF67KC4AA&psc=1&refRID=ST5XCFF6C45JF67KC4AA

This $25 par bulb would probably work on them. https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-11-Band/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ABI%2Btuna&qid=1606185434&sr=8-2&th=1

You could also just buy a 2g vase and a airstone + par bulb and keep corals that way. That would probably be the cheapest set up.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What is your budget? 

I don't find pico's to be any more difficult. They just need water changes and good to go.

Marineland makes a 3g and 5g AIO that comes with a pump and a glass lid. They are about 50-60 bucks. I am using this one: https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90609-Portrait-Aquarium-5-Gallon/dp/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=pd_lpo_199_t_0/146-8191062-6405741?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O8SZTKQ&pd_rd_r=2af26776-54f2-4949-a8d1-05a6d70d6441&pd_rd_w=Tu00i&pd_rd_wg=cEHb7&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=ST5XCFF6C45JF67KC4AA&psc=1&refRID=ST5XCFF6C45JF67KC4AA

This $25 par bulb would probably work on them. https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-11-Band/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ABI%2Btuna&qid=1606185434&sr=8-2&th=1

You could also just buy a 2g vase and a airstone + par bulb and keep corals that way. That would probably be the cheapest set up.

Budget is around 300$ I suppose, though that is flexible and I am honestly not too worried about over spending (at least not yet) since I don't have to worry about a stand or a $200+ light. I am willing to pay for quality in this case so long as it is not too ridiculous. 

I'm guessing the default light on the Marineland would have to be replaced as its probably not rated for coral growth? As weird as this may sound I'm not really inclined to get a bulb as I would have to find a lamp to hold the bulb and in my experience it is difficult to find lamps that are not overpriced (as someone who has done several indoor grow setups for ornamental plants, for whatever reason the most costly thing were the lamps minus the bulbs). Is the clip on light I picked out is not adequate for coral growth?

I'll keep an eye on the Marineland though, its a little taller than what I had in mind but the cover is really nice. A lot of the reviews were talking about issues with the filter, do you have any comments on that?

The light is not for coral. I just stuff some floss in the filter part and modified the basket a little to hold a tiny bag of carbon. The filter area is far from ideal but filters are optional in a reef anyways so my main use is to hide my heater. Live rock is my main filtration. The glass lid was the main reason I got it. 

They make a 3g version that is shallower. 

It is far from a perfect tank but I liked how I got a return pump, lid, and tank for 50 bux 🙂

If you are looking for something more premium... maybe the cadlights 4g? It has acrylic back wall instead of plastic and is low iron. It is more of a traditional AIO in a small package. It may be more what you are looking for since this is your only tank for awhile. 

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_63&products_id=300

16 hours ago, DGibster said:

Budget is around 300$ I suppose, though that is flexible and I am honestly not too worried about over spending (at least not yet) since I don't have to worry about a stand or a $200+ light. I am willing to pay for quality in this case so long as it is not too ridiculous. 

I'm guessing the default light on the Marineland would have to be replaced as its probably not rated for coral growth? As weird as this may sound I'm not really inclined to get a bulb as I would have to find a lamp to hold the bulb and in my experience it is difficult to find lamps that are not overpriced (as someone who has done several indoor grow setups for ornamental plants, for whatever reason the most costly thing were the lamps minus the bulbs). Is the clip on light I picked out is not adequate for coral growth?

I'll keep an eye on the Marineland though, its a little taller than what I had in mind but the cover is really nice. A lot of the reviews were talking about issues with the filter, do you have any comments on that?

I purchased a gooseneck lamp for my par38 on amazon. Cost $19 cda so less in the US.

Best light i've used that wasn't brand name was the Abi tuna blue par38. Everything grows well under it.

The marineland light is only for fish. Plants and corals won't grow under it.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

The light is not for coral. I just stuff some floss in the filter part and modified the basket a little to hold a tiny bag of carbon. The filter area is far from ideal but filters are optional in a reef anyways so my main use is to hide my heater. Live rock is my main filtration. The glass lid was the main reason I got it. 

They make a 3g version that is shallower. 

It is far from a perfect tank but I liked how I got a return pump, lid, and tank for 50 bux 🙂

If you are looking for something more premium... maybe the cadlights 4g? It has acrylic back wall instead of plastic and is low iron. It is more of a traditional AIO in a small package. It may be more what you are looking for since this is your only tank for awhile. 

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_63&products_id=300

I feel obligated to ask, once again, if the light on the 4g is good for coral. If so, then it’s a good deal that I’ll consider. 

Right now I think I’m leaning towards a Lifeguard 3.8g peninsula (I dig the peninsula style for my night stand) plus a Lominie S20 for lighting with a custom ordered lid or piece of plexiglass. 

1 hour ago, farkwar said:

As a clip-on book reading light. Yup

I figured that was probably the case 😄

I do wonder why the lights in the AIOs are always bad. Would it really be all the hard for someone to make a deal with Aqua Illumination or Luminie to include or build in one of their coral rated lights? I get that it would increase the price of the tank but surely it could make it cheaper than buying everything separately.

For a hundred dollars u can get a 5 gallon fluval evo aio. Comes with a good enough light to get u started on soft corals and such. Just add a heater and its pretty much plug and play. They are peninsula style too.

• 2 weeks later...