Pod Your Reef

Help with Dino ID?

NoriMuncher

This stuff is driving me crazy. Link to a video - QkNhTXs.mp4

Is that enough for a positive ID? It's definitely a kind that disappears at night, gets thick in the light. 

DinoPic.jpg

Edited by NoriMuncher
Added Pic
  • Like 1

They bottomed out for a long time. This is a one year old tank, live sand, life rock, lightly stocked, too heavy on the water changes. Apparently I was asking for it.

Now I've gone a couple months running UV (9W in my 25G tank). Nitrate & phos have been really stubborn, I added a lot without the numbers budging, but its been 5+ppm nitrate and .05+ phos for a month now. 

17 hours ago, NoriMuncher said:

This is a one year old tank, live sand, life rock, lightly stocked, too heavy on the water changes. Apparently I was asking for it.

i went through the same path on a my first tank three years ago. Was given the idea that nitrates and phosphates are evil, so i kept them at 0. Until dinos made a visit. 

Honestly, raise them more. 10ppm+ for nitrates and get those phosphates at 0.1-0.2. Even if they go higher, don't sweat it.

What kind of corals do you have? 

17 hours ago, NoriMuncher said:

Now I've gone a couple months running UV (9W in my 25G tank)

Keep running it. It helps. Not with all strands, but with some of them. In my current tank that i started in April, I had three strands of dinos. UV eliminated two, and dirtying up the tank took care of the third one. They appear here and there, but they went from a TON of them to barely any after a few weeks of UV. 

Not much. Zoas lasted a long time, but they're sad little nubs now. Hammer survived dinos for so long I thought it had no problem but suddenly its gone. Monty plate & especially leather coral seem to be very happy. Don't have much to lose now, might give DinoX a shot. If it works, add some live rock quickly. 

I've dosed microbacter, ocean magic, pods to no effect. Ocean magic actually seemed to turbo charge the dino growth.

You need PO4 levels to remain at 0.10 ppm (or higher) for maximum effect.  Dips below that level could promote the bloom.

Keep nitrate level in the positive as well....5+ ppm is fine.

Are you running activated carbon to remove dino toxins from the water?