chaostactics

Recommendations please: Best pico heater?

chaostactics

I am looking for recommendations on a heater for a 5 gallon tank. The heater needs to be under 8 inches or so in height and can't be one of those flat cobalt aquatics style heaters. I have an inkbird controller to run the heater. 

I tried one of the Aqueon 50 watt preset heaters but I can't even keep the tank above 76 and a half with an ambient temperature of 73 to 75 degrees

• Confused 1

paulsz
3 hours ago, chaostactics said:

I tried one of the Aqueon 50 watt preset heaters but I can't even keep the tank above 76 and a half with an ambient temperature of 73 to 75 degrees

is the unit defective? are you controlling it with an external controller as well. 50W should be more than plenty for a 5g going up 3-5 degrees

Reefkid88

Check out some higher end planted tank online stores. They sell one that starts with an A I can't really remember the name and its  "controllable" with a dial and they range from 25-50w great for pico's. 

GraniteReefer
15 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Check out some higher end planted tank online stores. They sell one that starts with an A I can't really remember the name and its  "controllable" with a dial and they range from 25-50w great for pico's. 

The archaea is the one you are thinking of maybe? Which funnily enough was going to be my answer of what not to buy😂  maybe mine was defective but it wouldn’t heat after a year and it took me awhile to catch it

The new 100w PTC heater from Innovative marine is actually only 5ish” tall so might become the new pico heater of choice IMO 

Reefkid88
4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

The archaea is the one you are thinking of maybe? Which funnily enough was going to be my answer of what not to buy😂  maybe mine was defective but it wouldn’t heat after a year and it took me awhile to catch it

The new 100w PTC heater from Innovative marine is actually only 5ish” tall so might become the new pico heater of choice IMO 

Hahaha well it shows you how much I know. I know Cobolt has a pico heater 5w and 20w I think. I have always just used the Petco Terta bran heaters and never once had an issue. 

shaner014

I just grabbed the hygger betta heater off Amazon. It was like $22 and hit or miss reviews, but it’s small and has an inline temp adjustment. Should still work fine with an inkbird. Can’t speak to longevity, but the pico heater options are hard to find, and I needed a 50w too for my basement temps. 

531F347C-51EA-4C2D-9E05-31E4E7DE8AB8.thumb.jpeg.41aa8d11dacce82d10ccaf5eeac09ea1.jpeg

chaostactics
1 hour ago, shaner014 said:

I just grabbed the hygger betta heater off Amazon. It was like $22 and hit or miss reviews, but it’s small and has an inline temp adjustment. Should still work fine with an inkbird. Can’t speak to longevity, but the pico heater options are hard to find, and I needed a 50w too for my basement temps. 

531F347C-51EA-4C2D-9E05-31E4E7DE8AB8.thumb.jpeg.41aa8d11dacce82d10ccaf5eeac09ea1.jpeg

I have the hygger DC pump the one that's similar to the Nero or Jebao SLW but tiiiiiny so far so good. That heater you've listed would be way to big for the rear chamber on my tank tho.

6 hours ago, paulsz said:

is the unit defective? are you controlling it with an external controller as well. 50W should be more than plenty for a 5g going up 3-5 degrees

Yes I have an Inkbird controller

shaner014
59 minutes ago, chaostactics said:

I have the hygger DC pump the one that's similar to the Nero or Jebao SLW but tiiiiiny so far so good. That heater you've listed would be way to big for the rear chamber on my tank tho.

Yes I have an Inkbird controller

Way too big? It's 3.5" x 2" x 0.8"

chaostactics
1 hour ago, shaner014 said:

Way too big? It's 3.5" x 2" x 0.8"

Way too big is a bit of an exaggeration but yes overall the foot print is too large for the chamber as it has to share the space with the return hose line, two sensors for the ATO, the cords for those sensors, the sensor cord for the Inkbird controller, and the power cord for the return pump.  

• Like 1

farkwar

Bettas need heaters?

News to me