ReefCleaners.org

Automating nano reefs

grinder143

Am I crazy. Call me stupid but i am exploring automating some of the task for my little 32 figi cube. I am looking for thoughts. I have AI primes and a couple Nero 3 pumps. I want to automate 2 1/2 gallon water change 1/2 gallon per day m-f . The other thing I think I would l8ke to do is automate dosing if I needed to do so , perhaps using a trident or use some of the GHL gear. That being said it could be a giant waste of money. At a bear min I think I would add some versa pumps for the AWC then see where else this journey were to take me

1 hour ago, grinder143 said:

Am I crazy. Call me stupid but i am exploring automating some of the task for my little 32 figi cube. I am looking for thoughts. I have AI primes and a couple Nero 3 pumps. I want to automate 2 1/2 gallon water change 1/2 gallon per day m-f . The other thing I think I would l8ke to do is automate dosing if I needed to do so , perhaps using a trident or use some of the GHL gear. That being said it could be a giant waste of money. At a bear min I think I would add some versa pumps for the AWC then see where else this journey were to take me

What do you keep? Why auto water change only M-F, what about Saturday and Sunday, or are you manually changing water then? Also daily wc is a bit overkill. I haven’t changed my water in 2-3 weeks. 
There has to be some rule of thumbs on how much an automation is worth to a nano reef.  The system cost outweighs its benefits multiple folds unless you gets into high hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of high end corals or fancy nano fish.  
most dosing is already automated via the dosing pumps. Perhaps you meant automated testing with trident? 
sounds like you know your equipment names/brands, so pricing must not be relevant in the end.  The question is: is it worth it?  

1 hour ago, grinder143 said:

You may be onto something , I however was looking for stability. I have never had a tank this small. 

A good ATO, and a good programmable dosing pump will go a long way for stability.

I’ve heard great things about Versa, except it’s a unicorn at this point since ecotech ran out of launch stock and hasn’t seem to have done anything to replenish them for the holiday season.