Top Shelf Aquatics

White haze keeps coming back..

Kurant

I have an IM Lagoon, and just randomly my tank can get this really feint white haze in it. I'm not doing anything special, I recently added a chaeto reactor. I had this issue a couple weeks ago, it cleared on its own. It's about 4 months into it's life. 

I changed my filter media out 2 days ago, but changing floss I doubt is the issue here. This has happened a few times since the cycle. 

Does this sound bacterial? 

are you dosing anything?  its either bacterial (if dosing something like microbacter7 or tims) or calcium precipitate if dosing like 2-part or using kalkwasser.  could also be from tap water if using it.  if any of the above stop or reduce and will go away

• Like 1

check your CA, Alk, and Mg numbers with a good test kit.  reduce dosing to maybe once a week or stop completely.  unless your tank is already heavily stocked I doubt you need to be dosing yet just do weekly waterchanges.  its calcium precipitation as the water can only hold so much then it starts to come out of solution and turns solid again, which is the white haze you see.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kurant said:

I was only dosing 4ml a week of both. Maybe I'll just stop entirely. 

the only time you need to dose is to replenish what the corals use. When you make fresh saltwater for the water change, test the new water in the bucket. That should be your goal for the tank. 

So if you new saltwater gives you 9 dkh, 430 cal and 1400 mg, make those your goal levels. And only ever dose to bring them back up. For example, if your corals used 1 dkh and your dkh is now 8, dose 1 dkh to bring it back to up to 9. 

• Like 1