SaltCritters.com

Nano Marine Help

marinenewbie88

marinenewbie88

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie to marine set ups here, after many years of freshwater set up experience. I've decided I'd really like to take the plunge with marine and am rather taken with the idea of a nano tank (space is very limited in my house!) 

I found this from a few years ago online and thought "wow, that's exactly what I want!" but lo-and-behold it seems the product is no longer in production: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/how-to-set-up-a-tmc-microhabitat-15-marine-nano-aquarium/

So I'm hoping to try to piece it together myself, or the main bits of it anyway (I don't think I will need a skimmer on such a small tank?) I'm asking on here to see if any of you might be kind enough to provide me with a bit of an essentials shopping list, plus a couple of reliable websites where I could order everything from at a (hopefully) reasonable price? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking this would make a perfect thing to ask my OH for Christmas, so I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction online to get bits.

I know the proposed tank size is tiny, but I'm not even worried about keeping fish particularly -  I would just like to set something up akin to what has been set up in the PFK article above,

Many thanks for your help!

Welcome to the Reefing Hobby! I currently have a 6 gallon Reef that is nearing the end of its cycling process. It isnt necessary but i have an Auto Top Off System on my tank and i find that it is really helpful with keeping the salinity stable, and especially in Nano tanks, stability is the key to success. Good luck with your first tank! 👍

• Like 1
18 hours ago, marinenewbie88 said:

Hi everyone,

I found this from a few years ago online and thought "wow, that's exactly what I want!" but lo-and-behold it seems the product is no longer in production: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/how-to-set-up-a-tmc-microhabitat-15-marine-nano-aquarium/

a bit of an essentials shopping list, plus a couple of reliable websites where I could order everything from at a (hopefully) reasonable price? 

I know the proposed tank size is tiny, but I'm not even worried about keeping fish particularly -  I would just like to set something up akin to what has been set up in the PFK article above,

The tank size is fine depending on what you want to keep, plenty of inverts and even some of the extremely-small or inactive fish will do fine.
Trimma Gobies, Barnacle Blennies, Saltwater Dwarf Rainbowfish, that sort of thing.

A skimmer wouldn't be a downside on a small system and there are some very gorgeous glass ones out there, though they're not cost effective, instead you could make your own out of a wood airstone and a glass (or plastic) bottle.

The cheapest tank, as you know from freshwater, is someone else's. Alternatively some folk's set up large-jars as aquariums.

Here's a nanoreef journal with a great little setup you may find interesting, they even have the equipment they used to get things going. Worth noting last year's oldschool picoreef competition thread has an absolute ton of tiny, tiny tanks with detailed-setup guides, stocking, equipment, everything.

20 hours ago, marinenewbie88 said:

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie to marine set ups here, after many years of freshwater set up experience. I've decided I'd really like to take the plunge with marine and am rather taken with the idea of a nano tank (space is very limited in my house!) 

So I'm hoping to try to piece it together myself, or the main bits of it anyway (I don't think I will need a skimmer on such a small tank?) I'm asking on here to see if any of you might be kind enough to provide me with a bit of an essentials shopping list, plus a couple of reliable websites where I could order everything from at a (hopefully) reasonable price? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking this would make a perfect thing to ask my OH for Christmas, so I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction online to get bits.

RODI

Heater

Heater controller like pinpoint or ranco (failed heaters are the #1 thing to kill your tank)

Powerhead (Jaebo, Nero, MP10, Tunze, Aqamai.,. etc)

Light (AI prime or Kessil is popular)

Rock (Live or dry)

Sand (Aragonite)

Tank (Innovative Marine Pro Series comes with a media rack, pump, and lid and many shapes/sizes)

Filter floss

Auto top off (or you can do this manually)

Biospira (to help your cycle along)

Salt 

Skip skimmers or reactors and so on.

Marine Depot

Bulk Reef Supply

Premium Aquatics

are all good suppliers.

• Like 2
On 11/22/2020 at 9:38 AM, marinenewbie88 said:

Hi everyone,

Was is specifically the TMC that you were after or was it more for the All in One Reef option?

I have a small Pico made out of Pets at Home and Amazon Purchases since I had a Fluval Spec 5 I couldn't get working

Tank: £15

HOB: £15

Heater:£15

Light: £100

You can save costs by going with something like the ASTA 20 LED which is £50 ish

• Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 10:28 AM, Ratvan said:

Was is specifically the TMC that you were after or was it more for the All in One Reef option?

I have a small Pico made out of Pets at Home and Amazon Purchases since I had a Fluval Spec 5 I couldn't get working

Tank: £15

HOB: £15

Heater:£15

Light: £100

You can save costs by going with something like the ASTA 20 LED which is £50 ish

You like the asta 20?

Worst light i ever used.

• Haha 2