Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lights for an IM 20 Nuvo

BigMike80

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on an IM Nuvo 20 and need lighting recommendations. 

Plans for the tank include a pair of clowns and an anemone along with soft corals and a watchman goby/pistol pair. I’d like to be able to program the light for sunrise/daytime/sunset/moonlight and just “set it and forget it”.  Will I need some type of controller or do today’s light systems do this on their own?

Looking forward to your suggestions. 

AI prime HD would do okay for his tank and has the programming features you want. You can control it from your phone through your wifi. Would grow softies with no issues. LPS too. And probably SPS closer to the center. Should be plenty for an anemone as well. But i don't know which anemone you had in mind. Some get really big, and may not be well suited in a 20 gallon. 

Also, probably add the goby and pistol first. A pair of clowns can get territorial and aggressive, so best they go in last. Although with a goby/pistol pair that chill in the sand all day, i doubt it would be an issue. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  Still need to do some research on which anemone and clowns to go with....planning on getting the smallest clowns and an anemone that won’t get too big. Definitely planning to put the watchman/pistol in first and maybe a clown goby and neon goby. 

Ill try to keep the bio load low and go with a pretty minimalist aquascape. 

+1 on AI Prime. If you have the money go with a Hydra 32 so you won’t want to upgrade in the future. Bubble Tip Anemone (BTA) go perfect with clowns. Show the clowns a YouTube video of clowns in anemones and they’ll make home pretty quick. I think that’s a great idea for the IM 20. Don’t buy a bleached anemone tho. If it’s pale almost white/clear pass on it.

I run 1 prime hd on mine. Have sps, lps, softies. Had anemones but got rid of them. They get too big too fast and were reproducing too often. 

You need no controller with the Prime, it's built in and it's completely customizable for light scheduling

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 8:10 AM, Clown79 said:

I run 1 prime hd on mine. Have sps, lps, softies. Had anemones but got rid of them. They get too big too fast and were reproducing too often. 

You need no controller with the Prime, it's built in and it's completely customizable for light scheduling

Do you have a pic of your setup with 1 prime HD? Trying to decide if I’m gonna need 2. 

56 minutes ago, BigMike80 said:

Do you have a pic of your setup with 1 prime HD? Trying to decide if I’m gonna need 2. 

I have 2 on my lagoon and both have to be run fairly low. I only have 2 because i had an extra one otherwise, 1 was perfectly fine

Resized_20200726_181013.jpeg