Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

caribsea Lace rock for dry rock?

Jakesaw

been a lifelong freshwater keeper and always had interest in saltwater aquarium. 

Venturing in basement over weekend, I found an unused stash of Caribsea lacerock and have a few old tanks.  It appears like it would be a good dry rock for aquarium, but wanted to run it by the forum to see if others have used this stuff.  I picked it up over a decade ago at Petsmart and it came in a plastic mesh bag that has long been discarded.  The rock never went into a tank, so its free of tank nutrients.

Would this lace rock be useful as dry rock to seed as live rock.  It's very porous I've got 4 medium sized pieces with 2 flat base looking and 2 more rounded that I can make a nice cave set up for critters to swim or crawl through.  Total about 6 pounds of dry rock.

Trying to keep costs as low as possible as I attempt my first tank to venture into the world of salt. 

Lace-Rock-4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1498775171

Thanks

Edited by Jakesaw
Show example of the rock i'm referencing

It's most likely alright to use.  I've heard some people have concerns about lace rock leaching nutrients and being more prone to algae problems.  Others don't seem to have any problems.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:26 PM, Jakesaw said:

Trying to keep costs as low as possible as I attempt my first tank to venture into the world of salt. 

Rock isn't the best place to skimp IMO....in fact it's generally the one place you want to go premium if it's possible.  Especially on your first tank...it'll make it easier on you getting started.

Get a used tank, used stand, used lights, used skimmer, used flow pumps, etc....save a ton of $ that way.  

Unless you can find good used live rock, then pony up for good NEW live rock.  

Sometimes buying a whole used setup with fish, coral and everything can be a good deal and great way to get a working system.

3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Unless you can find good used live rock, then pony up for good NEW live rock.  

depending where you live, i'm sure you can find someone selling live rock from their tank. It'd cost you much less than retail price and is definitely good! I did that for my second tank (first one started with dry rock) and the difference is huge.