Firefish15

Saltwater back-siphoned into RODI unit

Firefish15

Hey all,

I ran into a bit of an issue yesterday. I was making water through my RODI unit into a 5g bucket for a water change. I added some salt to the bucket while it was filling with water just to get it mixing faster. 
D793133A-8226-4D60-9BA2-EE147A4F8C3B.thumb.jpeg.b7219cac4da65bae4abc7684e9d77a9d.jpeg
When I shut the water off though, the water line from the unit to the bucket was still submerged. Come this morning, my DI cartridge looks pretty much depleted. Yesterday, only 2” or so was amber colored.

D8145BE7-63D0-4AAE-806A-691FCBAFE7A3.thumb.jpeg.88aa08dd52c1b3f812e1a1ba6d3f867f.jpeg

So really, I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to buy a new DI cartridge. My question is if I’ll have to replace the RO membrane as well. I can’t tell if that one is also now damaged. 

Any input would be great, thanks!

• Sad 1

jservedio

You don't need a whole new DI cartridge - yours is refillable. Just get a 1.25lb bag of color change DI resin from BRS and that'll be good for 4-5 refills. You shouldn't need a new membrane either - just flush the membrane for a few minutes. First disconnect the flow restrictor and DI stage and turn it on - water will spray out of the wastewater line at full blast - so make sure it's going down the drain. Let it run for 5 minutes or so. After that, hook the restrictor back up and make RO-only water for 15 minutes or so and just dump it down the drain. Should be all good to go after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firefish15

@jservedio Thanks for the help! Found a LFS that sells the bags. That will work out much cheaper than I was expecting, rather than replacing a bunch of stuff.