Coral Vue Hydros

20 gal long rimless.... where?

tzink

Planning a total revamp of my whole system over the holidays, putting in a sump. Going to be drilling a new tank, so thinking of going rimless. However, I need it to be 20 gal long dimensions (30x12x12). I just can't seem to find a 20 gal long rimless tank without going custom and paying $300. It makes it hard to swallow since a rimmed tank is $30. How much are those black bars really worth?

Any ideas?

6 hours ago, tzink said:

Planning a total revamp of my whole system over the holidays, putting in a sump. Going to be drilling a new tank, so thinking of going rimless. However, I need it to be 20 gal long dimensions (30x12x12). I just can't seem to find a 20 gal long rimless tank without going custom and paying $300. It makes it hard to swallow since a rimmed tank is $30. How much are those black bars really worth?

Any ideas?

how fix are you on the dimension, i.e. specific stand/nook that limit the size?  I don't recall seeing any rimless tank with that exact dimension (maybe IM 20 Peninsula?)

there's always the rimless 22 Long that is roughly 36x12x12.  or UNS-75S, which is ~30x18x12  

Be very careful. Most of those cheap 30 dollar rimmed 20 gallon longs are not able to be drilled because the glass is tempered. Especially the aqueons from petco. You could call Marineland and ask them if their 20 gallon longs are tempered. Just something to watch out for with the cheap aquariums. Most of them can't be drilled. 

Good tip on the tempered glass. Though, for $30, it's probably easier to find out "the hard way" than to call and hope to get a knowledgeable person. 😄

And yes, pretty tied to the dimensions. Can't go longer than 30" or deeper than 12". I only have soooo much leeway with "the boss" 🙂

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, tzink said:

Good tip on the tempered glass. Though, for $30, it's probably easier to find out "the hard way" than to call and hope to get a knowledgeable person. 😄

And yes, pretty tied to the dimensions. Can't go longer than 30" or deeper than 12". I only have soooo much leeway with "the boss" 🙂

Yeah it looks like there's a way to tell with the aqueon and polarized sunglasses i think. So if you bring some shades in there and find one with the back panel not tempered. Then you're set. 

11 hours ago, tzink said:

Any ideas?

Such a small, low tank, why not DIY it?  Probably easier than finding a decent pre-made one.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Such a small, low tank, why not DIY it?  Probably easier than finding a decent pre-made one.

Huhm. Hadn't thought of that. Didn't really realize it was possible. Where would I start?

20 minutes ago, tzink said:

Huhm. Hadn't thought of that. Didn't really realize it was possible. Where would I start?

The obvious answer was, of course, Google.

But where does one buy the sheets of glass? I don't think my LFS store sells glass, and Home Depot certainly doesn't have the right type/thickness/low-lead...

3 hours ago, tzink said:

The obvious answer was, of course, Google.

But where does one buy the sheets of glass? I don't think my LFS store sells glass, and Home Depot certainly doesn't have the right type/thickness/low-lead...

Once upon a time you could look up your local glass shops in the Glass Shop section of the Yellow Pages.  

Yelp or Google (other?) will have to serve.

They may have glass at the local hardware store that would work if the objective were simply to build a tank.

fishez4alivin

If you go rimless, you will want 3/8" glass or 1/2" acrylic, and for a tank the size you want, it will be a lot in materials.  Nowadays, it's cheaper to get a tank that is manufactured in China.  I know the tank I have is those same dimensions.  It's a Nuvo Peninsula 20 by IM.  I got it to use as a desktop, but plans changed and I wanted a sump.  So I took out the AIO section, painted the back wall, and drilled it.  I contacted IM and they told me nothing was tempered, but would void the warranty.  If you go that route, it's pretty easy, but you have to sack up, since the best method actually goes against better judgement.  Glasscages sells that sized tank too, so that would be an option, for a reasonable price.

2 minutes ago, fishez4alivin said:

If you go rimless, you will want 3/8" glass or 1/2" acrylic, and for a tank the size you want, it will be a lot in materials.  Nowadays, it's cheaper to get a tank that is manufactured in China.  I know the tank I have is those same dimensions.  It's a Nuvo Peninsula 20 by IM.  I got it to use as a desktop, but plans changed and I wanted a sump.  So I took out the AIO section, painted the back wall, and drilled it.  I contacted IM and they told me nothing was tempered, but would void the warranty.  If you go that route, it's pretty easy, but you have to sack up, since the best method actually goes against better judgement.  Glasscages sells that sized tank too, so that would be an option, for a reasonable price.

Thanks for this. It's an interesting idea going with a peninsula and taking everything out.

Turns out the glass for this project is under $200, so assuming I don't cock it up entirely, that seems like the better route.

The glasscages tank is about $350, but then they charge another $250 for shipping...

• Wow 2
8 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

That shipping is ridiculous. It was 4.99 for brs to ship my mr aqua 22 long. 

I don't mind if you buy Mr Aqua or Glass Cages or whoever else – you have to do what makes sense to you.  But you really can't legitimately compare costs of an imported product that has government- or tax-subsidized production and shipping costs and which is sold through zero-cost Amazon-like online retail fronts with costs of a domestically made product where actual product and actual shipping costs have to be paid for.  Probably the only help Glass Cages gets from the government is a reminder during tax season to pay up.  Apples to oranges.  🤷‍♂️

4.99 compared to 250? Im sorry but there's no spiel on here that will cause me to see the justification of this. I Know you really like to argue on here and its tiring to be honest. I respect that you appear to have knowledge of biology and science in general. But your constant angle of being the antithesis of what anyone is saying is so tiresome. I've seen you going at it on almost every thread on here. Bulk reef supply isn't a foreign company. The country of manufacture of item SHOULD have no bearing on the shipping cost from state to state here in the United States. So you're telling me that the government subsidizes bulk reef supplies shipping cost for a hobby that most government demons would ban if they got the chance? I don't believe that and if they do. Then its half the countries fault for voting in anti small business politicians over the decades. Who've gotten filthy rich over incentivizing foreign world trade over America's small business. 

Please don't type back 80 paragraphs because I won't read it. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, tzink said:

Thanks for this. It's an interesting idea going with a peninsula and taking everything out.

Turns out the glass for this project is under $200, so assuming I don't cock it up entirely, that seems like the better route.

The glasscages tank is about $350, but then they charge another $250 for shipping...

If  you go that route, you can also check with the company you are looking to get the glass from - at least near me, the vast majority of guys that cut and bevel glass do lots of bathroom work and are really good at doing silicone. If you told them how you wanted the panels arranged and glued, they might be willing to do it for you pretty cheaply. It's also way more interesting for them, breaking up the work of doing showers, mirrors, and table tops they do every single day.

I know a few glass people around here that silicone tanks and do custom builds as a side business. That said, a Mr. Aqua 22 is under $150...

6 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

So you're telling me that the government subsidizes

What I was mostly saying is that it was an apples to oranges comparison. 👍

On 11/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, tzink said:

Keep us posted if you build it!  😃  Would love to see pics of the process!