Cultivated Reef

I just realized Harvey is over 2 years old. Huh. :eek:

20220923_082748.thumb.jpg.323d0c4be910fb81ccaa38af6bfbe920.jpg

^Also texted back and forth with my LFS manager and we found out that this is actually called a gold spotted green discosoma shroom. Quite eager to see if the white dots on the surface will 'bounce' over time. :happy:

• Like 1

Lost Speedy the damsel overnight. Accidently left the pumps off overnight, and the water was frigid with zero circulation. Luckily the others made it, but R.I.P. Speedy. 😔

20220924_091559.thumb.jpg.7410d41da560c36f21b04c34dc148bfa.jpg

20220924_091432.thumb.jpg.bfe02bdb75ab7ce9ad749b8d38f95de5.jpg

20220924_091807.thumb.jpg.d927c483cf9c3f968adfc74997e21a45.jpg

Most of the animals in the tank are understandably upset. The pumps have been off since 5.30pm yesterday, and I only turned them back on at 8.45am today. 

I'm silently thankful Pickle the clownfish made it, although she was breathing rather hard. 

I was supposed to turn the main light switch off (which I do by routine everyday), but ended up turning off the switches for the pump instead. 😔

The mix up most likely occured because I was drop dead exhausted yesterday and wasn't concentrating. I'll try to be more careful, but I miss Speedy already. He was a beautiful lil' fish, and one of the few that could truly get along with my clown. 

• Sad 1
  • Snow_Phoenix changed the title to Snow's 10G Critters of Chaos (TOTM)

The snail made it through the first night with no issues. It's doing a very good job at cleaning up the back of the tank which was coated in an algae film. Once the worst of the algae is gone, then I'll move the snail back to the 60G. If it returns, I'll drop a snail back in the tank. Basically rinse-and-repeat to ensure the snail doesn't starve. 

I'm still thinking about purchasing a tiny crab for the tank - either a Pom pom or Porcelain would do.

Also, Pickle seems to be moodier than usual. I think she does miss Speedy the damsel to a certain extent, and I still do feel terribly guilty over his death because it was my fault. 😞

Mum told me to be more careful in the future, and I agreed. I think I'll refrain from touching *any switches when I'm too tired and unfocused. This also happened earlier this year with my discus tank (accidently forgetting to turn the pumps back on overnight after feeding, in that case), and although my school of black neons were quite stressed out due to the lack of circulation, I was extremely lucky that I didn't lose a single fish back then. 

I'm not ready to add a second fish to this DT *yet. The options for stocking the tank are severely limited anyway, and I'm not prepared to do another 2 weeks of intense hybrid-TTM on any future inhabitants.

*If ever I do get a new roommate for Pickle in the far, far future, it'll most likely be another damsel. A tiny percher would be ideal, but given how aggressive Pickle can get during feeding times, and how damsels can match up to it, I think they're a better bet. Damsels are also inexpensive, hardy and readily available at my LFS throughout the year. So probably the best denizen/choice for this small tank. 

Agreed. I often tell people that I think damels are great fish. Inexpensive, hardy, and active. I put 2 in my 20L in the last week. Now even the clowns are swimming around all day. There is some mild aggression and I have to keep an eye on everyone. Hopefully it works out because I am loving all the motion. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Agreed. I often tell people that I think damels are great fish. Inexpensive, hardy, and active. I put 2 in my 20L in the last week. Now even the clowns are swimming around all day. There is some mild aggression and I have to keep an eye on everyone. Hopefully it works out because I am loving all the motion. 

I think once they establish a territory, they usually settle down a *little. They seem to love caves though! Mine used to move a few smaller frags around and spit sand all over the place too. 😅

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
9 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

they usually settle down a *little

9 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I think damels are great fish

I agree but with a lot of caveats. They're really adaptable and that includes a lot of different personalities between individuals and species. In a community tank I still play it safe by sticking with Sapphires and Talbot's... But, I really wish I was brave enough to put a Lemon in my tank. They are sexy.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Looselyhuman said:

I agree but with a lot of caveats. They're really adaptable and that includes a lot of different personalities between individuals and species. In a community tank I still play it safe by sticking with Sapphires and Talbot's... But, I really wish I was brave enough to put a Lemon in my tank. They are sexy.

Talbots seem to be okay - Speedy was a talbot. Blue devils live up to their name though. 

2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Blue devils live up to their name though. 

Idk if you thought I was talking about these? I usually call Chrysiptera springeri "Sapphire damsel." Idk if that's actually common anymore since I see a lot of people just calling them "Springeri"?

I definitely wasn't endorsing any other blue damsel for a community tank! 😄

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Looselyhuman said:

Idk if you thought I was talking about these? I usually call Chrysiptera springeri "Sapphire damsel." Idk if that's actually common anymore since I see a lot of people just calling them "Springeri"?

I definitely wasn't endorsing any other blue damsel for a community tank! 😄

I think it's because they look so alike that if you toss all the blue devils in the same tank with sapphires, it can be impossible to tell them apart. 😅

I haven't encountered a single non-nasty blue devil though! Which kinda sucks, because they are beautiful and vivid, and I'm a sucker for anything that is blue (or purple) in color. 😄

I wonder if allen's or kupang damsels are more mellow. I think I used to keep them a very long time ago, but have forgotten how their temperent were like. 🤔

Might wind up getting another talbot though. Stays small and active, relatively bold, and can still hold up against my clown. Given how my tank is currently scaped, the only options is either a damsel or small (but bold) percher that doesn't nip SPS polyps. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I'm a sucker for anything that is blue

12 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Might wind up getting another talbot

I've had such great luck with sapphires. They are really a different fish from blue devils. They aren't as vividly colored and some seem more black with blue markings. They are even more mellow than Talbot's IMO. You can keep multiple and they barely bug each other much less anything else.

A lot of stores keep them in their coral tanks to eat flatworms. I've gotten them out if those tanks a couple times. Worst case, by comparing to those, you know exactly what you're looking for. ...If you do want a damsel  and also a blue fish, I heartily recommend.

You can see glimpses of some in my old 60: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M3Mhp7r7VQD8T2ck7

Everyone getting along:Screenshot_20220927-212134_Photos.thumb.jpg.55dd61d53b0842e24f9cdf07e9610e6e.jpg

Edited by Looselyhuman
Added pic
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Looselyhuman said:

I've had such great luck with sapphires. They are really a different fish from blue devils. They aren't as vividly colored and some seem more black with blue markings. They are even more mellow than Talbot's IMO. You can keep multiple and they barely bug each other much less anything else.

A lot of stores keep them in their coral tanks to eat flatworms. I've gotten them out if those tanks a couple times. Worst case, by comparing to those, you know exactly what you're looking for. ...If you do want a damsel  and also a blue fish, I heartily recommend.

You can see glimpses of some in my old 60: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M3Mhp7r7VQD8T2ck7

Everyone getting along:Screenshot_20220927-212134_Photos.thumb.jpg.55dd61d53b0842e24f9cdf07e9610e6e.jpg

I'll try to see if the store can get a hold of a Sapphire. Not sure if they can because most of the fish are wild-caught here, and some come in a randomly. 😅

Otherwise, talbot it is. 😄

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Looselyhuman said:

Sorry, I was on data earlier, so I skimmed through your first few pics only. Now back at home & on wifi, and I just watched all of them. Your 60G is stunning! 😮

Wish my large reef was like that! I loved the giant gorg too. 🥰

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Your 60G is stunning! 😮

Thanks. 😊 Unfortunately I gave my whole 60g system away when I had to move for work. I loved that tank too. Everything just clicked.  Hopefully the new owner took care if it. He was on the local reef forum and had a nice nano..

I just have the 32g now. Is that the gorg you're looking at?

Edit: oh the gorg in my rubble 10g. I just had a bunch of rubble I didn't want to throw away, so I put some things in there. Ha it was nice looking wasn't it. I took it for granted.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Looselyhuman said:

Thanks. 😊 Unfortunately I gave my whole 60g system away when I had to move for work. I loved that tank too. Everything just clicked.  Hopefully the new owner took care if it. He was on the local reef forum and had a nice nano..

I just have the 32g now. Is that the gorg you're looking at?

Edit: oh the gorg in my rubble 10g. I just had a bunch of rubble I didn't want to throw away, so I put some things in there. Ha it was nice looking wasn't it. I took it for granted.

I love gorgs, actually. But have never been able to keep one long-term. The gorgs here are all from the wild and die very easily. They are beautiful, but not meant for a standard reef tank, I think. 🤔

Yours has nice PE though! 😄

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I love gorgs, actually. But have never been able to keep one long-term. The gorgs here are all from the wild and die very easily. They are beautiful, but not meant for a standard reef tank, I think. 🤔

Yours has nice PE though! 😄

The only two I can keep are the big fat fleshy ones and the rusty ones. I've had good luck getting those from Florida - KP or TBS...

Way way past my bedtime - good night! 😄

• Like 1

Pickle absolutely loves her rainbow cushion. 🥰

20220928_164019.thumb.jpg.1c2d38822c119d5459fed57f55712735.jpg

20220928_164004.thumb.jpg.c31bdad4746c898e4dd8a9b5dd0fac4d.jpg

20220928_163953.thumb.jpg.ccf29de61ad4c0dac0b3354b7aba5687.jpg

20220928_163940.thumb.jpg.0c808adc1eb921e79c83f54aef9ea15a.jpg

20220928_163925.thumb.jpg.45234a4712afbf3b370ff6180e22350f.jpg

20220928_163908.thumb.jpg.c30cff4cbdca34e3894f1064ec65adf9.jpg

I also admire the resiliency of this particular coral. Besides regrowing over its previously skeletal areas, it has also grown larger and followed the curve of the LR next to it. 😅

• Like 3
  • Snow_Phoenix changed the title to Snow's 10G Critters of Chaos (TOTM)