inTank Media Baskets

This makes me feel better about corals touching one another in a small tank.  For some reason, I always had this fear of different corals touching one another (even softies) I guess I just thought everything  would sting everything into oblivion haha. 

where are you located that you can keep  those big fw tanks outside?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

This makes me feel better about corals touching one another in a small tank.  For some reason, I always had this fear of different corals touching one another (even softies) I guess I just thought everything  would sting everything into oblivion haha. 

where are you located that you can keep  those big fw tanks outside?

It's a gamble, actually, sticking these many frags close together in such a small, enclosed space/tank. Not all of the corals will 'get along', and I did have a few issues with some pieces going to war with each other earlier on. Now the current batch of frags seem more settled, and for the most part, *most of them are growing into each other without issue. The large yuma does pack a sting though! Anything it touches actually melts away at the point of contact.

I'm in Malaysia. Our weather is tropical, so it's mostly hot and humid all year around. Although, we are approaching monsoon season quite soon, so we should be hit by more storms soon (it usually rains here almost every day, except during the dry seasons). I didn't have the space indoors to accommodate large tanks, so my mum allocated some space on the side porch, under the awning for my FW tanks. It's actually easier to clean & WC when the tanks are outdoors, because I drain the dirt directly into the drainhole, and fill up the tank with water from the hose connected to the pipe at the front porch, which in turn is connected to a large distiller (DI). 

• Like 5

Hi everyone, I have some sad news. After ~2.5 wonderful years of keeping this guy:

FB_IMG_1631933075153.thumb.jpg.13c35ec5c6a14db0f7333df0718873c0.jpg

He evidently died sometime yesterday, but I only found his half-eaten body today morning:

20210918_100526.thumb.jpg.d9863b9b7b853b020d03f4ce624f0285.jpg

Prowler was very cryptic, and for the past 1 week, I did notice I was seeing him less & less, and he had been slowing down for a month or so. Considering Prowler was already almost at max. size when I first acquired him in April 2019, I'm not sure what his *real age is. 

I simply assume he had at least 1+ year to his life in the wild, and I did try my best to give him all that I could in captivity. 😔

Truly wish the nano gobies would live longer, but this could simply be old age. Ultimately, I'm not entirely sure. 🤔

Tank is now down to one fish - my damsel, Sapphire. With all the restrictions put into place, and the almost nil import of nanofish over here atm, I don't think I'll be seeing a tiny goby in the store anytime soon, so no plans to add a second fish in the near future. So I guess the tank is Sapphire's for now. 👍

R.I.P. Prowler. Swim free. 

• Sad 3
26 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Is that umbrella looking algae some form of Caulerpa? its pretty 

Yes, it's caulerpa peltata. I've been trying to get it again without any success. It's easily one of the best DT macros I've kept, besides galaxaura (which looks pretty, but grows horribly slowly). 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yes, it's caulerpa peltata. I've been trying to get it again without any success. It's easily one of the best DT macros I've kept, besides galaxaura (which looks pretty, but grows horribly slowly). 

Thanks, looking to add Macros to the Mantis Manor shortly, then maybe some corals afterwards. I dont really want to go with the normal Racemosa or Prolifera

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thanks, looking to add Macros to the Mantis Manor shortly, then maybe some corals afterwards. I dont really want to go with the normal Racemosa or Prolifera

Prolifera is actually okay - it reminds me of sea grass. Can you get red grape there? Looks like racemosa, but a more beautiful red version. Blue hypnea looks cool too, but I've had very poor luck at keeping them alive long-term. 

You can try digging up tigahboy's old tank threads. His macrotanks are quite stunning & inspirational. 

Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Prolifera is actually okay - it reminds me of sea grass. Can you get red grape there? Looks like racemosa, but a more beautiful red version. Blue hypnea looks cool too, but I've had very poor luck at keeping them alive long-term. 

You can try digging up tigahboy's old tank threads. His macrotanks are quite stunning & inspirational. 

Unless its codium or dragons breath, or someone is cleaning out the fuge its next to impossible to find macros for a decent price now. Thankfully leather corals seem to have fallen out of fashion here so i can get some good prices for frags

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Unless its codium or dragons breath, or someone is cleaning out the fuge its next to impossible to find macros for a decent price now. Thankfully leather corals seem to have fallen out of fashion here so i can get some good prices for frags

That’s awesome. Leathers are probably my favorites overall. Fast growth, cool colors, movement, generally hardy. They tend to still be expensive (in my opinion) here across the pond. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Macros have become quite tough to find here too. I get a small bunch from my secondary LFS - and they usually yank out macro from their fuge and give some to me. But DT macro is very difficult to come by. The only other option I can think of is collecting them directly from tidepools by the sea. But I live far from the ocean, and it's also not safe to go out - especially that far. We're still being hit hard by Covid. 😞 

10 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

That’s awesome. Leathers are probably my favorites overall. Fast growth, cool colors, movement, generally hardy. They tend to still be expensive (in my opinion) here across the pond. 

Leathers can be either cheap or pricey here, depending on the type, size, color and/or store that sells them. I think tiny frags of common leathers like toadstools or fingers should be quite cheap. I like them too - especially the red fingers. I have one in this nano, but it's growth is kept in check by the green acans next to it. 

• Like 2
On 9/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

With all the restrictions put into place, and the almost nil import of nanofish over here atm, I don't think I'll be seeing a tiny goby in the store anytime soon, so no plans to add a second fish in the near future. So I guess the tank is Sapphire's for now. 👍

Evidently, I spoke too soon. Last night, through some weird quirk, my secondary LFS actually received an import of fish. Some of which include sixline wrasse(s), pink skunk clown(s), randall's goby (or gobies?). The usual Occy clowns are also in the shipment, as well as some damsels, although the store didn't specify what kind exactly. I also know for a fact that they didn't sell their TSBs which arrived in the previous shipment, because the blennies were extremely expensive.

But I messaged my LFS manager and surveyed the price of the clowns, wrasse & goby - and all of them are affordable. 

I'm going to *try and peek into the store tomorrow - not sure if they still have any fish left (because people often swipe them clean within a day), and tentatively, I like the idea of a pink skunk clown in the nano. Either that, or the Randall's goby. The TSB - it's something I deeply wanted, but the more logical part of my mind wouldn't allow it. There's a limit on fish expenses for a reason, and it's best to abide by that limit. 

• Like 4

Happily picked up a tiny pink skunk clown from the store. 

20210920_145110.thumb.jpg.92e31d53af02711ed34f63a918e6fd65.jpg

20210920_145136.thumb.jpg.c262f1f0d28a7699d14c27e7a6766a0e.jpg

20210920_145158.thumb.jpg.431ba0c5158eb3a276437201598f65fd.jpg

Due to the differences in the store's lighting & my own tank's lighting, I had no idea he had Ich until I actually added him to the 10G. 🤦‍♀️

He was shimmying very quickly in the bucket during acclimation too, so I couldn't get a good look at him then. 

Sigh. 

Well, 'good' news is that this tank already has Ich, but the breakouts have been sporadic. Bad news is, I'm not sure how the new fish will handle it. 

It's been a long time since I've isolated a marine fish for QT, but I'll try to catch them during the next WC. Also, I bought the TSB! 😅

20210920_144934.thumb.jpg.56bb69bb99d49b170e1f461ade7b128c.jpg

20210920_144959.thumb.jpg.ecc24f1e14fe0363170f2c27e2ed8359.jpg

He's still adjusting. I'll be moving him to the 60G soon. 60G does have Ich as well - my GCG gets breakouts of it every few months. Because that tank has so many fish that hides in the sand & rocks, I wasn't able to catch all of them to treat them, and believe me, I did try. The one time I was pulling out rocks to catch the fish, I lost my older TSB & a goby because they were hiding in the rocks, and when I left the rocks out of water, outside the tank, they died. 😭

Ever since then, I've stopped trying to isolate & QT fish in the 60G, and focused instead on giving the fish as much nutritious food as possible to boost their immune system. 

Most of my systems are infected with one disease or another (wild-caught fish tend to bring in a lot of diseases) and this is the best that I can manage atm. 

• Like 3
  • Snow_Phoenix changed the title to Snow's 10G Critters of Chaos (TOTM)