Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green Mushroom coral retracted?

antigonus

This morning I saw that my green mushroom corals were sort of oddly closed up. The only thing that has changed recently was the introduction of a Lobophyllia brain coral, which is pretty far away from the mushrooms. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 2-4, Ph. 8.2, temp 78 f. They still readily ate Mysis shrimp when I fed them, so they seem to be doing okay, I'll post a picture of what they looked like when fully opened up. Do you think there's reason to be worried?

shrunken mushrooms .jpg

Green mushroom corals.jpg

i don't think there's an issue. Some days they will look a little crunched, others they're fully open. Any change in flow? did you clean your powerheads lately? maybe the flow is a little more powerful and they are just hanging on more than usual. 

My mushrooms sometimes look slightly retracted like yours. Other days they are extending out of the rocks for more light. They're pretty hardy so i doubt anything is hurting them

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, paulsz said:

i don't think there's an issue. Some days they will look a little crunched, others they're fully open. Any change in flow? did you clean your powerheads lately? maybe the flow is a little more powerful and they are just hanging on more than usual. 

My mushrooms sometimes look slightly retracted like yours. Other days they are extending out of the rocks for more light. They're pretty hardy so i doubt anything is hurting them

Thanks, I'm not super concerned. I'm about to order a flower anemone though which is supposed to arrive next week, and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong before I add any new livestock.