Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chipp's 5 Gallon ADA Mini M: Fake Sump

chippwalters

1 minute ago, RedTheReefer said:

Wifi power strip, turn off ato/pump/heater from phone. Perform water change, turn them back o

You do so this in the main display section?

I LOOOOVE vortechs but in such a small tank I really think you should consider the Jebao SLW-10 or the Hygger DC propeller pump. I have a nearly finished Evo V build. Even the Jebao was a bit much unless I would have gone bare bottom. I went with the hygger and so far pretty impressed. 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

We ran an MP40 on an ADA 60F (admittedly, it was a bare bottom tank), for over a year. Was it excessive, and unnecessary? Probably. Did it still work, and move a lot of water? You bet my sweet ass it did! In my opinion, the most important thing for a tank is flow. 

In my 4.7 gallon Micro-Reef, I think I’m turning the water over 60-65 times per hour. The corals love it. The downside? I have to clean the water off the counter and the outside walls of the tank the first day after a water change, because it sloshes out of the tank, until I get the RFG nozzle angled correctly again to keep all the water inside the tank. 

I love this idea of “replacing” the sump via water changes. It’s the sort of outside the box thinking I totally dig, and will be following along with. Plus, he’s got a back up heater ready to go, when his dies, because they all eventually die. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, chippwalters said:

Or perhaps you're just pulling my chain: I see where you've described yourself as an "NR Troll."  If so, then you got me 😄

I'm pretty sure I didn't do that

Always thought Christopher Marks did that

I did put "Under A Bridge" as location. Previous avatar was a pic of me under The Golden Gate Bridge taking a photo

Back in the day I designed a pico system out of a shot glass.  It had a ricodea in it.

It had a 34 gallon JBJ Nano Cube as a sump.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chippwalters said:

Great.

Ok, question. How do you do your water changes currently in your nano? I take it, it's an all-in-one, with a filter/pump/heater/ato on the back?

My nano is actualy just a 10gallon petco tank. I do my water changes manually right now with a siphon and a bucket 😅. Gets the job done but a better way never hurt anyone

• Like 1

Changing water in my tank was a headache. It is on my desktop, so getting the right siphon effect is almost impossible. And pouring saltwater back in isn´t a good way either... I decided to solve the problem by buying a mini return pump and submerging it in the tank to get som water out, then use it to get new water back in... Man, if you come up with a better way to solve things, you´ll earn a fortune here 😅

• Like 2
10 hours ago, chaostactics said:

I LOOOOVE vortechs but in such a small tank I really think you should consider the Jebao SLW-10 or the Hygger DC propeller pump. I have a nearly finished Evo V build. Even the Jebao was a bit much unless I would have gone bare bottom. I went with the hygger and so far pretty impressed. 

Yes, you sure have a point. MP10 for 5 gallons does seem like overkill. One of the reasons I chose it was so I could control it by my phone. Same reason for the lighting. I sometimes work late at night and I might want to do a moonlight effect or something. And...if I ever decide to go to a huge 20 gallon, I'll have the right powerhead (haha). 😄

9 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

In my opinion, the most important thing for a tank is flow. 

I love this idea of “replacing” the sump via water changes. It’s the sort of outside the box thinking I totally dig, and will be following along with. Plus, he’s got a back up heater ready to go, when his dies, because they all eventually die. 

Yep, I'm with you on the flow thing. Good point about the back up heater!

9 hours ago, farkwar said:

I did put "Under A Bridge" as location. Previous avatar was a pic of me under The Golden State Bridge taking a photo

Yeah, I remember seeing you there. You demanded 2 chickens and a bag of oreos before letting me pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But drilling a tank and adding the "5g fake sump" is still adding a sump. Regardless of how you add it up.  If you are wanting a pico,you got one. 

I'm not really seeing your concept,but like people have said its your tank do what you will with it lol. Keep us informed on how the trickery works for you. 

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Have you seen the new Nero wavemaker? Super small profile.

Thanks Kat! I switched my order to the Nero 3. Much appreciated!

• Like 2
On 11/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, kekke1082 said:

This is an awesome idea! I may have to borrow this concept for my 10gallon to increase the water volume! I can't wait to see this come together. 

I've already told chippwalters I'm suing him for stealing my idea! 😄

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Timfish said:

Yes, only after I explained it to you 3 times! haha.

• Haha 1

Are those the 4.4 gallon jugs that saltwater come in?

So let me get this straight - nice drawing by the way.. You’re drilling an all glass with overflow and return. No plans for equipment in the tank at all. Pump heater and ATO in the jug below. Put your return pump & ato pump in the jug place a filter sock in the hole and drop your drain hose in the sock. Water change is old jug out, new jug in. Clean the old jug with garden hose. Seems simple enough.

I like the concept. I will agree that a small sump with refugium would be optimal right? You definitely have room to grow if your initial design doesn’t provide biodiversity. 

My only question would be, this system seems like it’s going to be ultra low on nutrients. Something I’ve been battling....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Timfish said:

😅 well i will only borrow it then and make sure to give you credit for the inspiration lol. Do you have a thread for how your idea was done? Id love to check it out! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kekke1082 said:

😅 well i will only borrow it then and make sure to give you credit for the inspiration lol. Do you have a thread for how your idea was done? Id love to check it out! 

He was just kidding. He's my friend I mention at the top of this thread. He's closing in on 30 years experience and takes care of lots of commercial and private saltwater reef tanks. When I told him about this idea he said it wouldn't work and not to try it-- at least until he's had time to patent it LOL. That's his point. He's coming over either this weekend or maybe next and we'll drill the tank and set things up.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Are those the 4.4 gallon jugs that saltwater come in?

So let me get this straight - nice drawing by the way.. You’re drilling an all glass with overflow and return. No plans for equipment in the tank at all. Pump heater and ATO in the jug below. Put your return pump & ato pump in the jug place a filter sock in the hole and drop your drain hose in the sock. Water change is old jug out, new jug in. Clean the old jug with garden hose. Seems simple enough.

I like the concept. I will agree that a small sump with refugium would be optimal right? You definitely have room to grow if your initial design doesn’t provide biodiversity. 

My only question would be, this system seems like it’s going to be ultra low on nutrients. Something I’ve been battling....

Hi Batman, I think I remember you from years back. 

So, in this design, there's not really a place for an ATO-- and I'm not sure I need one for a tank this small. Only time will tell.

Here's the typical small reef tank + sump workflow for weekly water changes (at least here's how I did it with my small tank plus sump).

image.thumb.png.e76e83ee1f705ce5f1e239065e482666.png

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chippwalters said:

He was just kidding. He's my friend I mention at the top of this thread. He's closing in on 30 years experience and takes care of lots of commercial and private saltwater reef tanks. When I told him about this idea he said it wouldn't work and not to try it-- at least until he's had time to patent it LOL. That's his point. He's coming over either this weekend or maybe next and we'll drill the tank and set things up.

Oh i understand lol no offense or anything was taken. i thought it was a very funny comment 😄 im still nervous about drilling anything but that may be happening soon anyway. i want to use an old 5 gallon aquarium i have as a refugium for my current tank but i saw your idea and i am considering using one of the 5gallon totes for a refugium instead of the open top aquarium, i happen to have one laying around (its holding my fan up right now 😄 ) . one of these days im going to turn one of those IBC totes into a reef!! 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
6 hours ago, chippwalters said:

So, in this design, there's not really a place for an ATO-- and I'm not sure I need one for a tank this small. Only time will tell.

Here's the typical small reef tank + sump workflow for weekly water changes (at least here's how I did it with my small tank plus sump).

In my 4.7 gallon tank (about 3 1/2 gallons of total water volume, after the 5lb rock was put in) I go through about a gallon a week of top off water. I'm guessing you'll need to come up with something for your tank.