Top Shelf Aquatics

Horned nerite acclimation?

Tired

Any idea what these need to go from freshwater to saltwater? The Petsmart near me sells them, and I like them. I want some.

Will their eggs hatch in saltwater? Would be cool. 

Also, how big do they actually get? A couple of sales sites say they reach 1", but I've seen a bunch in various tanks and pet shops, and none of them have been over 1/2". 

UpsideDownPumpkin

I’ve always had a couple (non-horned)  in my freshwater tanks and they’re fantastic algae eaters so I’d love to know the answer to this too. 

• 3 weeks later...
Chriss Fishes

I've tried it, and they don't fair super well past mid-end brackish IME.

I'd assume their eggs would hatch in brackish, although I've never tried it.

I've seen some get up around 3/4". but not much bigger. A lot are missing the horns, too 😞

• Like 1

Huh, good to know. Guess their wild habitat must not extend into full saltwater. I could swear a horned nerite I had in my previous freshwater tank had a couple of spirobid shells on it, though- maybe from a relatively brief jaunt into salt? 

Any idea how the assorted fancy nerites you can get at chain pet stores will do? The ones with all the patterns, as unclear as that is. I know checkered nerites do fine in saltwater, but there are some really pretty nerites normally sold for freshwater, which I'd love to be able to adapt over. 

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

Maybe! Or, perhaps spirobid worms can live in high-end brackish?

I haven't tried acclimating the fancier varieties. The black nerites tend to do okay, and so the olives, IME. You just have to acclimate them VERY slowly. I did mine over a few months.

• Like 1

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

How long do the horned nerites need to be acclimated to brackish water? I might get one or two for my brackish water shrimp tank. 

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

I'd probably do it over a month or two. When I did it, I had some mollies and guppies with marine ich - so instead of treating with copper or TTM, I decided to acclimate them back to freshwater for a month or so and slowly raise the SG back to marine. I added the nerites when they were in fresh, and ramped up the SG over the course of a few months.

• Like 1