Jessy-Ray

What kind of alien is this?

Tired

Spaghetti worm seems right. Do the feelers repeatedly come out of the same general area of rockwork and feel around? And do you see any other feelers tucked up under there? 

Spaghetti worms are almost completely harmless. They eat detritus and are generally considered beneficial, but if they set up shop by a coral, they can annoy it by groping over it for food. I had some miniature lime green ones in my old tank. 

farkwar
21 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Seems too big and too fast for a spaghetti worm even though some types can get quite large. 

Correct

It's a Spoon Worm

• Like 1

WV Reefer
9 minutes ago, farkwar said:

Correct

It's a Spoon Worm

Never would have guessed that one. 

***it’s funny that they are described as “rude” 😂

• Like 1

sublunary

Great video.  I've seen a lot of photos of spoon worms but had no idea they moved that fast!

• Like 1

Tired

Huh, don't think I've seen those. Neat. I guess the forked end of the tendril gives it away as a spoon worm. 

...wait a minute. That's another name for a fat innkeeper worm, isn't it? The ones that make the u-shaped sand tunnels and look incredibly rude? 

Yeah, I looked it up. Congrats, OP, you have something colloquially referred to as a penis fish. I've just been reading about them. They get a bit large as aquarium worms go, but are detritivores, similar to spaghetti worms. I wonder if you could train yours to take food from tongs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

farkwar
22 hours ago, Tired said:

Huh, don't think I've seen those. Neat. I guess the forked end of the tendril gives it away as a spoon worm. 

...wait a minute. That's another name for a fat innkeeper worm, isn't it? The ones that make the u-shaped sand tunnels and look incredibly rude? 

Yeah, I looked it up. Congrats, OP, you have something colloquially referred to as a penis fish. I've just been reading about them. They get a bit large as aquarium worms go, but are detritivores, similar to spaghetti worms. I wonder if you could train yours to take food from tongs? 

People eat those forked tongue schlong, erm I mean spoon, worms, gross

Guarantee you, Covid-20 comes from them next year

I also guarantee I asked the same question here 6 years ago.  Long time

Jessy-Ray
On 11/10/2020 at 6:03 AM, farkwar said:

Correct

It's a Spoon Worm

That’s the one!

• Like 1

Jessy-Ray
On 11/10/2020 at 10:20 AM, Tired said:

I don’t think I’ll be training it, just keeping a close eye on it ready to fill it’s hole up with super glue if it gets any funny ideas

Tired

No need to kill it, it's just grabbing around for detritus. It would probably get away from the glue anyway. 

Most critters you're likely to see in your reef tank are harmless, and many are beneficial. Spoon worms can be considered beneficial due to their diet. 

• Haha 1

Jessy-Ray
5 hours ago, Tired said:

No need to kill it, it's just grabbing around for detritus. It would probably get away from the glue anyway. 

Most critters you're likely to see in your reef tank are harmless, and many are beneficial. Spoon worms can be considered beneficial due to their diet. 

lol I’m not new to reefing, just never seen a spoon worm before.

the glue was a joke 😅