Innovative Marine Aquariums

Leo_ian

So i have had an aptasia issue since the beginning of the tank (3yrs) and i have had an infinite amount of aptasia no matter how much i kill. I had peppermint shrimp but they did not finish all the aptasia. I can't find berghias in my area. Any thing i can use? i am currently manually killing them with aptasia x but my scape doesnt allow access to some areas of the aptasia. I am rescaping the tank soon. No i have no full blown coral colonies because it was meant for fish originally...

RoyalGramma001
4 hours ago, Leo_ian said:

So i have had an aptasia issue since the beginning of the tank (3yrs) and i have had an infinite amount of aptasia no matter how much i kill. I had peppermint shrimp but they did not finish all the aptasia. I can't find berghias in my area. Any thing i can use? i am currently manually killing them with aptasia x but my scape doesnt allow access to some areas of the aptasia. I am rescaping the tank soon. No i have no full blown coral colonies because it was meant for fish originally...

How big is your tank? If it is over 20 gallons you could get an aptasia eating filefish but do research before getting any fish. If you do not have any corals it would be a good option but small inverts may be eaten. Research their diets they have a somewhat difficult diet so make sure you do research. 

If you don't have or aren't planning to add Corals, you could just leave the ones that you can't get to, and kill the ones that bother you as the pop up. Peppermint shrimp should be able to handle the babies. As long as they don't take over the tank or get big enough to eat your fish, one or two little anemones (aptasia) might look pretty in a fish only tank, IMO.

• Like 2
On 11/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, RoyalGramma001 said:

How big is your tank? If it is over 20 gallons you could get an aptasia eating filefish but do research before getting any fish. If you do not have any corals it would be a good option but small inverts may be eaten. Research their diets they have a somewhat difficult diet so make sure you do research. 

Ah damm my tank is a 20 gallon reef

22 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

If you don't have or aren't planning to add Corals, you could just leave the ones that you can't get to, and kill the ones that bother you as the pop up. Peppermint shrimp should be able to handle the babies. As long as they don't take over the tank or get big enough to eat your fish, one or two little anemones (aptasia) might look pretty in a fish only tank, IMO.

I am planning to do an sps reef in mine soon (as in i have alrdy ordered the corals)

• Like 3

Since your DT is 20g I would buy Tunze Coral gum, create a small ball and place it over the aptasia. You will have patches of this all over the place but in time you can remove the gum easily and aptasia will be gone. I have tried many ways of removing it and I have found the above method to be very effective.

I had the same issue with my IM30 and now it is aptasia free.

• Like 1