Innovative Marine Aquariums

What the heck is this thing?!!

Andrew561

1 hour ago, Andrew561 said:

Is it beneficial?

Yes they are Beneficial they are scavengers and can help clean but do not pick that thing up and make sure to look before touching corals they have tons of thorns that will get stuck in your hand and if population of them gets out of control you can get an arrow crab as they are predators to the bristle worm 😉 

• Thanks 1

fireworm/bristle worm. They can help to keep the sand bed clean and get into crevices in your rock work that most inverts can't. I had several that came in on live rock from the fl. keys. I blamed them on several small fish disappearing so I hunted them all down and got rid of them. I don't like them!

Bristleworm, yes. Good detritus eater. Won't eat live fish, would definitely eat dead ones. The bristles will stick in your finger and be unpleasant if you touch it, but you shouldn't have your bare hands on your rockwork anyway, there's enough sharp edges and bacteria for that to be a bad idea.