Cultivated Reef

Cleaner Shrimp Death Confirmation?

UpsideDownPumpkin

UpsideDownPumpkin

I haven’t see an molt before but what I found in the tank this morning looks pretty solid still rather than just a shell.

Can anyone confirm for me that it isn’t a molt? 

ACCA8DFD-285A-4F3A-940D-2AA3F9FBF547.jpeg

39C4FD2C-CD59-45EC-990B-613A025BAA3E.jpeg

When you press the body with your finger, is it fleshy & squishy? If yes, then it's probably dead. If it's a molt, your finger will probably 'sink through' the exoskeleton. Another way is to just pull off the head and check the body for flesh. A molt will be completely empty. 

(I hate to say it, but that looks like a full dead shrimp & not a molt though. Sorry. 😕 )

UpsideDownPumpkin
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

When you press the body with your finger, is it fleshy & squishy? If yes, then it's probably dead. If it's a molt, your finger will probably 'sink through' the exoskeleton. Another way is to just pull off the head and check the body for flesh. A molt will be completely empty. 

(I hate to say it, but that looks like a full dead shrimp & not a molt though. Sorry. 😕 )

Yeah it’s hard. I thought that was the case. There was a salinity swing last night which I think killed him.

• Sad 2
12 hours ago, UpsideDownPumpkin said:

I haven’t see an molt before but what I found in the tank this morning looks pretty solid still rather than just a shell.

Can anyone confirm for me that it isn’t a molt? 

That's a dead shrimp and no mistake. The eyes are a dead giveaway. The eyes of a molt will be clear and empty, most of the time.   Those eyes are still black, which indicates that this is in fact a mortality. 😔