Innovative Marine Aquariums

42 TDS in stored water

Callum

I’m really new to reef tanks and RODI.

I just got an RODI system and I followed the instructions to flush the system and it seems to work fine.

from the Clean water output in reading 0ppm TDS however when I put the water into water jugs I am reading 42PPM 

is this water still usable? Is this likely something from the water jugs I’m using? Or could it be something else?

Are you using two different tds meters to do the testing? One could be faulty

Edit. Is the in line one on the rodi unit giving you a 0 and then a handheld one giving you a 42 in the bucket? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Or is there possibly residue from something in the jugs? 

I personally wouldn't use ro/di over 5TDS. At that point I know I need to change filters.

I wondered the same thing but I was also like DANG! Thats quite a big jump from just being transferred to a bucket or jug. 

• Like 1

I just got water from my LFS and it measured at 10 TDS. Yuck. I only use water when at 0! I try to avoid anything that's not zero because you have no idea what the dissolved solids are and its effect on your tank.

57 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Or is there possibly residue from something in the jugs? 

I personally wouldn't use ro/di over 5TDS. At that point I know I need to change filters.

I was curious as well if whether or not there is residue in my buckets. This is because both LFS I've been to only gave me non 0 TDS water. Are these just bad stores or is this normal practice?

What could the residue be? Only RODI or distilled water have been in and out of these buckets. Any ideas?

11 hours ago, RedTheReefer said:

Are these just bad stores or is this normal practice?

What could the residue be? Only RODI or distilled water have been in and out of these buckets. Any ideas?

The LFS sells RO/DI water plus uses it for themselves, so most people don't get 0 TDS water from their LFS (but it's still low TDS and acceptable to use). It costs money to replace filters, so they just don't change filters as often as they should. 

As far as why there's a jump in TDS after putting it in the jug/bucket... 🤷‍♀️

Household dust? What was in the bucket before? Faulty reading on the TDS meter? 

I usually wipe/rinse my buckets with vinegar and water every few months. 

I buy RO water (no DI) from LFS. I often store it in the buckets that I previously mixed saltwater in without rinsing it out. When did chasing 0 TDS become a thing?  

just an opposite view 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

The LFS sells RO/DI water plus uses it for themselves, so most people don't get 0 TDS water from their LFS (but it's still low TDS and acceptable to use). It costs money to replace filters, so they just don't change filters as often as they should. 

As far as why there's a jump in TDS after putting it in the jug/bucket... 🤷‍♀️

Household dust? What was in the bucket before? Faulty reading on the TDS meter? 

I usually wipe/rinse my buckets with vinegar and water every few months. 

I never considered them using the same water. Follow up question, say I'm receiving 10 TDS water from my LFS, does that make distilled a better option if it reads at 0 TDS? Distilled actually costs cheaper by me.

1 hour ago, RedTheReefer said:

I never considered them using the same water. Follow up question, say I'm receiving 10 TDS water from my LFS, does that make distilled a better option if it reads at 0 TDS? Distilled actually costs cheaper by me.

Yes the distilled is the better option. It's as pure as rodi.

• Like 2