Innovative Marine Aquariums

ideas for 20g reef

mvh pets

hi! i have a 20 gallon reef with

pair of clownfish

3 hermit crabs

6 turbo snails

1 GBT anemone

i just started keeping saltwater tanks but kept freshwater tanks for 9 years prior. any suggestions for more fish? NO CORALS AS THEY ARE ILLIGAL IN MY AREA,

Thanks!

Everything looks good, except you will need far less snails than you think. In my 20g, I only have a single turbo, single astrea, and single hermit and they've no issues keeping the tank clean. I'd start off with two turbos and a hermit - if you can find nassarius snails I'd throw a couple of those in there too.

Once you get the clownfish in, I'd suggest waiting a year before putting the BTA in as new tanks go through an ecological succession, which causes your nutrients and organic levels to fluctuate pretty dramatically and anemones are sensitive to this. How long this takes is entirely dependent on your tank, but this is why most suggest waiting a year before an anemone.

As for the anemones - they will eventually take over a 20g tank (probably 2-3 years) which in your case, since you can't have corals, is an awesome thing! I would suggest getting 2-3 different types of baby bubble tip anemones so you get some variation in color. Even if you start with one anemone, in 3-5 years you are going to have at least half a dozen anyway as they split, so you might as well get as much color as you can out of it.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Clownfish king

Hey and idea could be a clown goby they are pretty cool though beware yellow spot goby will eat small clownfish. Another fish could be the fire fish they are pretty cool with colouring

Clownfish king

Oh btw there are two forms of clown goby and several forms of fire fish I like the normal cream white/fire red colour with the fire fish and clown goby can be yellow and green your choice!