SaltCritters.com

A 6 year olds 1st reef (a red sea 130d story)

JBM

There was a little girl.  Like many others, captivated by a small film titled "Finding Nemo" & shortly after, "Finding Dory"

She couldn't stop watching that little reef. Nor could she keep her hands off daddy's reef tank.

Well, now that little girl will have two Nemo's of her own.

Enter:  The free Red sea 130d. Sure its not pretty, it doesn't have a working light. But it holds water, and the pump works.

The equipment:

Apex gold

Eb4

Duet ato

Hydor slim skim

Hydor 1k gyre

Chinese black box led

Aqueon 100watt heater

The plan:

Mated pair of clowns that host a anemone.

20201104_223221.jpg

20201104_135302.jpg

• Like 4

Cool. My daughter who is 9 also has a reef of her own. She takes care of the daily maintenance like feeding the fish and cleaning the glass and all the fun stuff. I help her with just the water changes. I use to have my own reef but not anymore. House and work takes too much of my time.

Good luck👍🏻

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, _R_ said:

Cool. My daughter who is 9 also has a reef of her own. She takes care of the daily maintenance like feeding the fish and cleaning the glass and all the fun stuff. I help her with just the water changes. I use to have my own reef but not anymore. House and work takes too much of my time.

Good luck👍🏻

We just closed on our first house end of September. I feel your pain, however I'm still young enough to manage 37 things at once. Crap, forgot to........

4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Cool. My 4 year old grandson loves my tanks. One day I will get him one of his own.

All of my children love my reef, they just know dad is a crazy saltwater person.

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That is great and it is like having a nanny to her occupied. 

Thats what the other 3 kids are for.

3 hours ago, Leo_ian said:

Yay! more GENZ in the hobby! my LFS keeps telling me that the hobby needs more young people

Not quiet. She is Gen Alpha. Gen Z stopped in 2012. Dont worry though, I have 3 Gen Z. I myself am sadly a millennial, although I most certainly act like a Gen X.

Made some progress today. Cleaned the tank thoroughly with vinegar and a razor blade.

Its currently sanitizing and leak testing with bleach and r/o.

Will have to ask Lucy what color she wants the tank. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if she says black.

20201106_095019.jpg

20201106_095037.jpg

20201106_095041.jpg

20201106_112458.jpg

20201106_112506.jpg

1 hour ago, _R_ said:

Looking good.

Tanks!

Its pretty beat up, I'm sure one or several of the previous owners used sandpaper to clean the glass. There's just no way 3 panes get scratched from bottom to top, front to back.

But free is free, and its perfect for a 6 yr old. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, JBM said:

Tanks!

Its pretty beat up, I'm sure one or several of the previous owners used sandpaper to clean the glass. There's just no way 3 panes get scratched from bottom to top, front to back.

But free is free, and its perfect for a 6 yr old. 

its a good starter tank. i had to tell my daughter to be careful while cleaning the glass when she started with a 5 gallon Nuvo but still she managed to get the glass scratched but now that she has a IM30L she has been very careful with it.  

• Like 1

Cleaned it up more. Realized it wouldn't fit with the door on. So we removed the door. Fits like a glove. 

Added water,  plugged in the control panel.  Added the heater and salt. 

Tomorrow I will pull some rubble and a few pieces from my reef. Should cycle fairly quickly.

20201107_172919.jpg

20201107_173035.jpg

20201107_173137.jpg

Thankfully I never throw anything away, hood lights didn't work. Tried two sets of bulbs, nothing. So for now, a Tuna Blue Par38 bulb will suffice.

Probably going to retro my old black box leds into the hood for a sleeker look. But this is down the line.

Current tank parameters:

Temp 71*

Ph 7.99

Sg 1.022

20201107_195413.jpg