Top Shelf Aquatics

Hermit babies round 2!

Batmom2016

So 2.5 days ago my blue leg hermits decided to blast out a bunch of babies, so I managed to save a bunch of them.  I actually had a little tank set up this time for them using water from the tank their born in.  It isn’t a kreisel tank but it is going to be an expirement to say the least. 
musing a blunt end hypodermic needle attached to an airline to create surface agitation in the little tank.

so far,  they are still alive.  Feeding them 1-2 drops of spirulina a day and the juice from brine shrimp. 

my turbo snails ended up having babies and a lot of them didn’t survive so I have a lot of micro tiny shells if/when the hermits grow big enough to transition to shells! 

will update this with the progress!

98260D5B-F321-4016-8B70-6559A6618B9A.jpeg

4F2FF1FA-5294-4508-9A7A-B3E21DF3AF69.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
55 minutes ago, sublunary said:

Very cool project!  You don't see a lot of people trying to raise crabs, let alone hermit crabs. 

I wasn’t set up the first time my other hermits had babies,  otherwise I would of tried than too.  ☺️ 
it should be an interesting journey for sure! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, sadie said:

I can't believe how tiny they are!!  

They’re hard to see unless you really look for them,  when the mom first releases them though it makes your tank look like a snow globe 😆

• Like 2

Definitely following this, my hermits have spawned a couple times late at night, but obviously nothing makes it to maturity since the environment is all wrong.

Looking forward to this, though I'm sorry to hear about the baby turbos, I have an army of juvie ceriths I'm hoping won't die off.

6 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Definitely following this, my hermits have spawned a couple times late at night, but obviously nothing makes it to maturity since the environment is all wrong.

Looking forward to this, though I'm sorry to hear about the baby turbos, I have an army of juvie ceriths I'm hoping won't die off.

Oh I’m taking the turbos as a blessing in disguise because the shells will be so so useful! 

so far all of the babies are still alive,  I’ve been keeping a log of everything with these guys! ☺️

• Like 2

Here is an update picture of them,  still VERY hard to see,  there are more than that scooting around in there. But these are some I was able to capture using my phone camera.

F4C185B9-ACE6-4230-98C1-78847083031D.jpeg

• Like 1