SaltCritters.com

Water Box 10 setup

Drunkreefer23

Drunkreefer23

Good morning everyone! I have been a long time lurker on these threads but am a first time poster. I have kept reef tanks on and off since I was in high school and even managed to keep a somewhat successful one when I was in college. After I graduated I neglected my tank a little bit because of work and other various things going on. But I am Back! I had my old water box 10 sitting around and started to get the reefing itch again so here I am. I set it up yesterday with live sand and dry rock. I am not sure if the live sand is enough to fully cycle the tank so I might pick up some Dr. Tim's in the next few days. My plan for corals with this tank is to keep it simple with only Zoas and Mushrooms. I do have the idea in my had to get a bubble tip anemone for the top rock but that is much further down the road. I am planning on taking this tank extremely slow and don't see myself getting fish until after the holidays. Also after years of having clown fish I am a little bored with them, I know I am very limited with fish options but any suggestions would be great!

Current Equipment: 

AI Prime 

Maxi jet 600 return pump 

150W heater 

Future equipment: 

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO? or Tunze nano ATO

Skimmer: Any suggestions would be great also not sure if I need one for now, thinking about possibly doing a fuge in the back middle chamber. 

Circulation pump: Koralia nano 

IMG_1215.jpg

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, Drunkreefer23 said:

Good morning everyone! I have been a long time lurker on these threads but am a first time poster. I have kept reef tanks on and off since I was in high school and even managed to keep a somewhat successful one when I was in college. After I graduated I neglected my tank a little bit because of work and other various things going on. But I am Back! I had my old water box 10 sitting around and started to get the reefing itch again so here I am. I set it up yesterday with live sand and dry rock. I am not sure if the live sand is enough to fully cycle the tank so I might pick up some Dr. Tim's in the next few days. My plan for corals with this tank is to keep it simple with only Zoas and Mushrooms. I do have the idea in my had to get a bubble tip anemone for the top rock but that is much further down the road. I am planning on taking this tank extremely slow and don't see myself getting fish until after the holidays. Also after years of having clown fish I am a little bored with them, I know I am very limited with fish options but any suggestions would be great!

Current Equipment: 

AI Prime 

Maxi jet 600 return pump 

150W heater 

Future equipment: 

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO? or Tunze nano ATO

Skimmer: Any suggestions would be great also not sure if I need one for now, thinking about possibly doing a fuge in the back middle chamber. 

Circulation pump: Koralia nano 

IMG_1215.jpg

:welcome:

looks like you are off to a good start! 😊

I just upgraded to Duetto by XP Aqua. $20 cheaper than autoaqua and has a shut off level!

Also I used coralife skimmer, did absolutely fine, I just wanted something more “powerful.” Upgraded to Tunze 9001, measure your skimmer compartment you might be able to fit an IM skimmer in there if they are still for sale. 

Check out Reef Glass skimmer. They’re only $85 and saw a few nice YouTube’s on them and seen better than the coralife.

Drunkreefer23

Thanks for the advice on the ATO, I ran across that one the other day at my LFS and was wondering how it performed. I think I am going to pull the trigger on an ATO soon I forgot how annoying manual top offs can get and how much salinity can fluctuate on smaller tanks. I think I am going to wait a little bit on the skimmer as I don't see the need for it right away. 

Unfortunately nothing new to report I went to check my ammonia levels to see if there was a spike but turns out I have every test kit except ammonia so looks like I will be taking a trip to the store. 

Also for those of you who are using the AI prime what percentages and schedule are you running. For the time being I only am planning on keeping zoas and mushrooms.   

• Like 1

I am running the pirates of the Caribbean schedule, but there are quite a few suggestions on BRS AB+ schedule as well...so I may look at changing over to that to give it a try. If you haven’t already, join the ai prime/hydra Facebook group and all of the files are stored there to download. I also just got a diffuser for the Prime from 3D Reefing and it is such a nice addition to reduce the disco ball effect...but to each his own. I took the light intensity up slightly after adding the diffuser.

Prime Settings in order from left to right:

UV - 22%
Violet - 24%

Blue - 34%
Cool Blue - 32%
Green - 0%
Red - 0%
White - 20%

Growing Montipora, Acans other LPS but my par is pretty low. 

C76B9C11-EAE7-46A3-AC50-B505606495C3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Drunkreefer23

Good evening everyone! Nothing new to report with the cycle still going pretty slowly. However I did get some equipment that came in this weekend. I have been looking at wavemakers and wanted something with a low profile and some controllability so I ended up getting the Jabeo SLW-10. I have heard some negative things about the noise but so far I don't have a complaint. It is a pretty powerful pump and have it running on the third lowest speed but I might have to increase or decrease once I get coral in the tank.

I also purchased the Auto aqua smart ato lite. I just set it up today and tested it and so far so good. The only difference between this and their other ato is the censor is green on this one and there is no alarm.  It is my first ato so I wanted something simple. 

I will have more time to play around with the settings on the SLW-10 and see what I like. I also will have some time next weekend to try and organize the wires and clutter. I's love to see what everyone has for wire consolidation with their nano's! 

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg