Coral Vue Hydros

Bristle or fire worm?

Batmom2016

Wow, congratulations. Basically everybody who asks that has a regular bristleworm, but you definitely don't. You got something rare.

That being said, has it caused any damage to anything? There are many spiny polychate worms, and plenty of them are harmless enough to your reef.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Tired said:

Wow, congratulations. Basically everybody who asks that has a regular bristleworm, but you definitely don't. You got something rare.

That being said, has it caused any damage to anything? There are many spiny polychate worms, and plenty of them are harmless enough to your reef.

I’m not sure if it caused damage,  but my octospawn and my hammer are really unhappy, all of the flesh around the skeleton was eaten away. 
there are lots of smaller worms identical to this one in the tank too.  

13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks exactly like the one I pulled out of my large reeftank few weeks back. Turned out to be a fireworm that loved my LPS a little too much. 😕

That’s rough,  I’m sorry

13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks exactly like the one I pulled out of my large reeftank few weeks back. Turned out to be a fireworm that loved my LPS a little too much. 😕

This one was in my nano reef 😬

• Wow 1

Yeah, sounds like one of the harmful ones. Can you catch a smaller one for a picture? Hopefully they're just regular bristleworms, but they might be babies of that one. Try looking up bristleworm traps on the forum, there are a few successful designs that might work. Fast reflexes with long tweezers will also help. 

Try moving your unhappy corals to a frag rack up on the wall. These worms can't really climb clean glass. It should work as a temporary measure until you can get the little blighters out. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah, sounds like one of the harmful ones. Can you catch a smaller one for a picture? Hopefully they're just regular bristleworms, but they might be babies of that one. Try looking up bristleworm traps on the forum, there are a few successful designs that might work. Fast reflexes with long tweezers will also help. 

Try moving your unhappy corals to a frag rack up on the wall. These worms can't really climb clean glass. It should work as a temporary measure until you can get the little blighters out. 

this is a few I caught when I got the big one,  there are some regular bristle worms in there but the majority are the same type as the big one. 

I will move the angry corals to my other tank until I catch these guys all up,  I used dry rock in that tank,  so there are no pests.  Just the light in that tank won’t work for the coral I’ll have to move the light over too. 

6C925E3F-9051-47EA-9A49-05B940C8D21F.jpeg

• Wow 1

Those are pretty cool. You should see how big you can get them with some nice feeding. Target-feed that largest one on purpose and see what happens. 

Don't let this scare you away from live rock. These guys really are pretty rare- basically every other "fireworm or bristleworm" thread is just a bristleworm.

• Like 1

I have held the stumps of a guys legs who tried to suicide by train

I have cleaned out the eye socket of a guy who lost it due to aspergillis fungus

And have seen into a man's brain, who picked his skull off with his fingernails over 9 years. Because he thought there were spiders growing in his head

None of that creeps me out

But the pics of those worms, give me the heebie jeebies. And they are just pics. Weird

• Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

Definitely fire worm there cool in a pick by the selves but in a reef environment they are harmful 

I had a pic of Elon Musk with his Boring Company flamethrower

I got banned from R2R for posting it in Bristle and Fire Worm thread

Because the owner of R2R likes bristleworms

Totally red pilled me, that experience did

Burn It With Fire

y8ty2fz1n2l11.jpg

• Haha 1

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/red-pill/ ??

And, honestly, joking about burning animals alive is kinda tasteless. It's not the worm's fault you don't like worms. I can definitely see why someone who likes them would think that wasn't funny at all. 

Some fireworms are harmful. It's usually better to remove them, and kill them as humanely as is reasonably possible. 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:46 PM, Batmom2016 said:

I’m not sure if it caused damage,  but my octospawn and my hammer are really unhappy, all of the flesh around the skeleton was eaten away. 
there are lots of smaller worms identical to this one in the tank too.  

Doubtful that it's a fireworm.  I've still never seen a case where a worm has bothered a healthy coral in a healthy tank.  Amphipods and Asterina starfish get mistakenly blamed the same way.

How old is the tank in question?  What is the backstory on the corals that appeared to be impacted?   What have the test results been like, in particular for alkalinity and for nitrates and posphates?  Can you post a full tank pic that shows lighting and flow?