Jump to content
Batmom2016

Bristle or fire worm?

Recommended Posts

Batmom2016

Would you say this is a huge bristle worm or a fire worm?  I’ve been trying to catch it for months. 
 

9C04CC07-B804-4195-8D2B-58A852E6E909.jpeg

  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Wow, congratulations. Basically everybody who asks that has a regular bristleworm, but you definitely don't. You got something rare.

 

That being said, has it caused any damage to anything? There are many spiny polychate worms, and plenty of them are harmless enough to your reef.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix

Looks exactly like the one I pulled out of my large reeftank few weeks back. Turned out to be a fireworm that loved my LPS a little too much. 😕

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Batmom2016
14 hours ago, Tired said:

Wow, congratulations. Basically everybody who asks that has a regular bristleworm, but you definitely don't. You got something rare.

 

That being said, has it caused any damage to anything? There are many spiny polychate worms, and plenty of them are harmless enough to your reef.

I’m not sure if it caused damage,  but my octospawn and my hammer are really unhappy, all of the flesh around the skeleton was eaten away. 
there are lots of smaller worms identical to this one in the tank too.  

13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks exactly like the one I pulled out of my large reeftank few weeks back. Turned out to be a fireworm that loved my LPS a little too much. 😕

That’s rough,  I’m sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Batmom2016
13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks exactly like the one I pulled out of my large reeftank few weeks back. Turned out to be a fireworm that loved my LPS a little too much. 😕

This one was in my nano reef 😬

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Yeah, sounds like one of the harmful ones. Can you catch a smaller one for a picture? Hopefully they're just regular bristleworms, but they might be babies of that one. Try looking up bristleworm traps on the forum, there are a few successful designs that might work. Fast reflexes with long tweezers will also help. 

 

Try moving your unhappy corals to a frag rack up on the wall. These worms can't really climb clean glass. It should work as a temporary measure until you can get the little blighters out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Batmom2016
41 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah, sounds like one of the harmful ones. Can you catch a smaller one for a picture? Hopefully they're just regular bristleworms, but they might be babies of that one. Try looking up bristleworm traps on the forum, there are a few successful designs that might work. Fast reflexes with long tweezers will also help. 

 

Try moving your unhappy corals to a frag rack up on the wall. These worms can't really climb clean glass. It should work as a temporary measure until you can get the little blighters out. 

this is a few I caught when I got the big one,  there are some regular bristle worms in there but the majority are the same type as the big one. 
 

I will move the angry corals to my other tank until I catch these guys all up,  I used dry rock in that tank,  so there are no pests.  Just the light in that tank won’t work for the coral I’ll have to move the light over too. 

6C925E3F-9051-47EA-9A49-05B940C8D21F.jpeg

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Batmom2016

I have decided to make a little pico to keep it in because it’s huge 😆 we named it spikey Mikey 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Those are pretty cool. You should see how big you can get them with some nice feeding. Target-feed that largest one on purpose and see what happens. 

 

Don't let this scare you away from live rock. These guys really are pretty rare- basically every other "fireworm or bristleworm" thread is just a bristleworm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
farkwar

I have held the stumps of a guys legs who tried to suicide by train

 

I have cleaned out the eye socket of a guy who lost it due to aspergillis fungus

 

And have seen into a man's brain, who picked his skull off with his fingernails over 9 years. Because he thought there were spiders growing in his head

 

None of that creeps me out

 

But the pics of those worms, give me the heebie jeebies. And they are just pics. Weird

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clownfish king

Definitely fire worm there cool in a pick by the selves but in a reef environment they are harmful 

Share this post


Link to post
farkwar
33 minutes ago, Clownfish king said:

Definitely fire worm there cool in a pick by the selves but in a reef environment they are harmful 

I had a pic of Elon Musk with his Boring Company flamethrower

 

I got banned from R2R for posting it in Bristle and Fire Worm thread

 

Because the owner of R2R likes bristleworms

 

Totally red pilled me, that experience did

 

Burn It With Fire

y8ty2fz1n2l11.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/red-pill/ ??

 

And, honestly, joking about burning animals alive is kinda tasteless. It's not the worm's fault you don't like worms. I can definitely see why someone who likes them would think that wasn't funny at all. 

 

Some fireworms are harmful. It's usually better to remove them, and kill them as humanely as is reasonably possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
farkwar

You really should delete that post

 

And then put me on ignore

 

I am not the account for you to be reading

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...