Jump to content
Thetravelguy

Torch totally gone, something ate it? Help please!

Recommended Posts

Thetravelguy

Not entirely sure what the deal is. It seemed to be doing pretty well and seemingly overnight looks like it’s on the cusp of death. Water temp, as best I can tell from monitoring and checking it throughout the day, is a decently stable 76-78. Salinity is riding hard at 1.026. Ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate at a solid 10. Calcium is a tad low at about 300-320 but a water change is due to replenish. Everything else seems to be doing very well. Purple hammer just split, monti is putting out great polyps, all the zoas are happy and open. 
 

only thing that has changed is a change in location, mostly because it was close to my frogspawn and I wanted to give it its own area. That is the ONLY thing that’s changed. Any ideas? The polyps are flat and the skeleton seems especially pronounced. It just seems like it’s withering away.  

 

for easier viewing params are 

 

ammonia-0

nitrite-0 

nitrate-10

calcium-320

sg-1.026

temp- 78

 

64C68B11-80A8-478A-8E5A-81057DCCED97.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Thetravelguy

Ok I think it’s become apparent something has eaten it. In less than 24 hours it’s gone from first posted picture this. Obviously completely gone. Help??? 
 

livestock

 

5x hermit

2x cerith 

2x clown

1x clown goby

1x six line 

 

none seem likely... most likely would be the hermits? If so they gotta go.
do I have an unseen pest that could do this much damage so quickly? 
 

 

BD7D5849-1BCD-4633-8C55-951BC97CE093.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, Thetravelguy said:

Ok I think it’s become apparent something has eaten it. In less than 24 hours it’s gone from first posted picture this. Obviously completely gone. Help??? 
 

livestock

 

5x hermit

2x cerith 

2x clown

1x clown goby

1x six line 

 

none seem likely... most likely would be the hermits? If so they gotta go.
do I have an unseen pest that could do this much damage so quickly? 
 

 

BD7D5849-1BCD-4633-8C55-951BC97CE093.jpeg

probably unhappy with your parameters.  It was melting before, wasn't it?  without any evidence of polyp bailout (i.e. you'll find the entire flesh glob sitting somewhere else in the tank), it could just disintegrate away due to RTN (rapid tissue necrosis).   these are just my guesses. 

the tank inhabitants most likely the culprits would be clownfish trying to rub on it thinking it's their new anemone home, causing tissue damage.  But nobody on that list would literally eat your torch.   

Share this post


Link to post
Thetravelguy

So weird. My main params are great and everything else seems perfectly happy and healthy. My clowns have never touched the torch, they prefer the frogspawn. I know sometimes things just “happen” but I’d love to make sure it’s not something I’m doing wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang

Where did your rock come from? Was it "dead" rock, that you started fresh from? Or was it live rock? If it was live rock, you could have an unknown pest living in the rock. I believe there are some species of polyclad flat worms that eat euphyllia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Thetravelguy
15 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Where did your rock come from? Was it "dead" rock, that you started fresh from? Or was it live rock? If it was live rock, you could have an unknown pest living in the rock. I believe there are some species of polyclad flat worms that eat euphyllia. 

Most of the rock was dead dry rock. I have a few pieces that did come from a seeded tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
pokerdobe

Missing the following info:

 

Alkalinity

Phosphate

 

Also, it hasn't been happy for a while - it looks like where the flesh has receded away, there's a light layer of algae growth indicating that the tissue has been receding from the stem for some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Thetravelguy
46 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Missing the following info:

 

Alkalinity

Phosphate

 

Also, it hasn't been happy for a while - it looks like where the flesh has receded away, there's a light layer of algae growth indicating that the tissue has been receding from the stem for some time. 

Actually it’s been a very sudden change. This picture was taken on Sunday.  I do not have tests kits for phosphate or alkalinity. It’s in the mail. I do run phosguard. 

 

68839AE4-519D-4429-AAEF-F0D5A36C6E3A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Thetravelguy

Ive got my test kits. My salifert kh kit has me thinking I’m in the 7.3-7.7 dkh range. It’s really quite difficult to tell. After just one use I can see why Hanna testers are so popular. From what I understand it’s a tad low, but not by much? 
 

my phosphate was a tad high, at about a 1.0. I am using phosguard and I have chateo growing in the back chamber. Aside from more frequent WC not sure how to keep that down. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...