Innovative Marine Aquariums

My SCA 66g Ugrade

HiImSean

I’ve been wanting a larger tank for a minute now. I broke down my 90g about a year ago when my daughter was about 1, I was staying at home with her and just started grad school. I kept my paid of clowns and remaining corals in an IM 20g drop off. It’s a cool tank I just don’t care for the lack of a footprint. I was going to go with a 40breeder, things happened with that and I found a 60g cube about two weeks ago.
We’ll last week I found a SCA 66g tank, 32x24x20, so needless to say I got the footprint I was wanting lol. The guy tossed in a bunch of stuff with the tank, a icecap gyre, skimmer without a pump, a nice sump (thick glass rimless), and an icecap algae scrubber. The tank’s about a year old. Hopefully this weekend I’ll do a leak check on it and find a place to put it in the house.

I’m going to run an ATI 24x8 Sunpower for lighting, i also have a NanoBox duo I’ll run for the blue LEDs. I have an mp10es (starting to make a bit of noise now) and the gyre for flow. I’m going to look for something else come Black Friday. I have an apex jr with an eb8 for my controller and a Tunze ato. I just need to find a skimmer for the tank. Again I think Black Friday will be my best bet on that. I might look for a new stand, I’d like something a little taller than what it’s on now.

it’s in the garage now so I’m ready for my spot back

4340801A-29B8-4E3F-9D90-3FFA2F444552.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 11 months later...

Lol This tank is still sitting empty but should be wet within the month now. I've been busy finishing my masters degree and starting a new job over the last few months.But now I believe I have everything needed minus a bit of plumbing to get it going. I might have to buy a new ATO container since the one main requirement of the tank is EVERYTHING must be inside the stand. I had the tank filled for about 2 months with water to make sure everything was still good and just drained it last weekend.

For lighting I've got a 24" 8 bulb Sunpower with a 24" Reefbrite strip. I have a combination of blue +, purple +, coral + and an actinic tossed in. Still have the RO Regal150SSS and a Jeabo dc return pump. I got a pair of 2K gyres for flow plus a 1k and old MP10es if I want more or find dead spaces. I also have a IceCap algae scrubber plumbed in.

So I’m still debating on how to setup my sump. I’ve got the main drain chamber behind the skimmer and the skimmer section on the left side. They are open to each other at the bottom.

Here’s where I’m deciding what I should do. So I can put my return pump in the middle chamber with my heater and a bio plate. I was thinking of using the right chamber as a fuge/grow area. It’d just be more equipment packed in the stand. Or I can keep it simple and clean and leave the middle for the biological filter media and anything I may want to add in the future and have the return and heater in the last chamber.

247F9DA5-8F47-4255-BF6D-1013F212D4A0.thumb.jpeg.e07060755e3bade78a27ffd07c907249.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

We’ll unfortunately my sump isn’t going to work with an ato container inside the stand. I ordered a fiji 20 sump so I can slide my existing 5g ato container next to it plus I’ll have a bit more room inside the stand now. I don’t think I’ll be able to use the algae scrubber either now which is a bummer. I had a klir fleece roller that I sold that would have worked perfectly in the new sump